Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:01PM jonnyfrag said

• Half a heart
You know, its funny in light of the whole Soapbox on 'game journalism' that here we have yet another 'copypasta' news item while there has been FREAKING HUGE SNAFUS with nearly every EVERY DCUO pre-order and SOE telling their customers to suck it more or less and then locking threads in the forums telling them they were on their own and can't complain about it anymore.
I don't even have a dog in this fight anymore, but every 'game news' site ignoring a huge launch mess up with the biggest release of the season so far (from one of the Big Dog Companies) in order to keep getting advert dollars from that company (MMORPG.com ...I'm looking at you) is really sickening.
It's letting these companies get away with this kind of customer service that let's us continue to receive this kind of customer service. We can't expect people to be smart enough to vote with their wallets, but can't we at least make them pay in the public eye? Maybe one day something will sink into people like Jon Smedley's head that it's better to NOT treat your customers (your PRE PAYING customers) like dog shizzle?

Sorry about that shizzle, I am white and not sure if I can pull that one off.

And no offense to the OP... it's not that it isn't something that shouldn't be posted, I'm upset about what should be posted but isn't.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:28PM Interitus said

@jonnyfrag
Okay I'm going to give a chime in here a give a big WTF are you talking about? I have heard of ONE person who couldn't find their pre-order item and that was cleared up after someone told them where it was. I played almost all day tuesday and I only saw that one pre-order mixup. Somehow that really makes me doubt there is a "FREAKING HUGE SNAFUS "

And just for future refrence, you click on the shopping cart icon and click claim item. Yeah, I know super confusing huh?

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:01AM JohnFordColey said

@Interitus

I believe he's talking about how many pre-orders haven't received the item necessary to unlock Batman in Legends PVP, which is a big problem, since that is the only way you can play as him. What's especially troubling is the fact that they had made it such a big part of their pre-order advertising, even going as far as Smedley (sp) talking about how big of a deal it was.

From what I've read so far, only Amazon pre-orders received the item. Anybody who pre-ordered it from a digital distribution site, even from the SOE Online Store, has been told that they will not receive it. If anybody would like to correct me, feel free to, I'm a bit behind on any updates to the situation.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:46AM Interitus said

@JohnFordColey

Well I can correct you on 2 counts. I ordered on D2D and I have my ice thingy. And I asked a friend on steam, he recieved his bane thing also.

I know you couldn't order the collectors pack (which gave you Batman) online (since it came with physical items as well). In terms of Batman I haven't heard anything of it.

@johnnyfrag If you bothered to read my post I was in game most of Tuesday, just about as far as I could get from being under a rock. Again, I saw only one person ask about the pre-orders and I saw nothing at all about Batman. You're right that it isn't being reported everywhere, perhaps because it's not as wide spread as you think. Unless my friend and I are somehow exceptions to the case and I was just lucky enough to be on a server where no one was being vocal about not getting access to their pre-orders items. But that seems kinda like a stretch. I'm not doubting there might be problems with pre-orders, but the way you are describing it and my personal experiences couldn't be any more opposite.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:53AM JohnFordColey said

@Interitus

I'm referring only to the item necessary to unlock Batman in-game. I pre-ordered on Steam and got the Venom Injector. The problem is that the pre-order site, as well as various news stories and interviews, had said that Batman was an universal pre-order bonus, not just a specific retailer.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 3:25AM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@jonnyfrag. Weird, I looked up this very thing a few days ago and saw where it said some places won't give out Batman as a pre order bonus, lol.

Herp derp, It's your fault, not theirs. Next time look at the pre order bonus list. Steam didn't have Batman listed as a bonus.

Accept responsibility for your actions.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 6:01AM Duulin said

@JohnFordColey Hilarious, I preordered from D2D over a month again and it was quite obvious on both the SOE site and the D2D site that I wasn't getting Batman, I was getting an ice grenade. Batman was specific retailers only.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 9:00AM JohnFordColey said

@Duulin

Despite the fact that I'm looking at a picture of the pre-order site and right on top is a big headline that says "GET TO PLAY AS BATMAN IN A TWO-ON-TWO ARENA BATTLE AND GET AN EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME WEAPON WHEN YOU PRE-ORDER TODAY"

Here's a picture of the pre-order site: http://flic.kr/p/9a7DZx

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 9:08AM jonnyfrag said

@Drunken Irish Sniper
Here's what you get for assuming, although the ass is all on you.
I ordered from Target, which was to get the Luthor Gun and Batman and a comic book. NO ONE that pre-ordered from Target received their games at all yet. Everything shows as delayed and back-ordered. I was told my game would ship March 17th for example. I didn't pre-order from Steam at all nor purchase from Steam at all. I had nothing to do with Steam. I didn't even get my pre-order at all, much less anything else. And with the delay told to us on the morning of launch, no one that had ordered had the opportunity to 'pre-order' from anywhere else (since it was launch day.)
Also the Batman that everyone is in a row about is NOT the collectors edition Batman Statue but the 'play as Batman' that was HEAVILY advertised as coming with every pre-order, but they only fixed it for some and left the rest in the wind. It's false advertising, period.

Stop assuming so much and stop sticking up for a company that continually treats it's customers like shit.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 9:21AM jonnyfrag said

@Interitus
If you mean complaining about in game, how would you know? The chat system sucks so you certainly aren't hearing everyone. I'm talking about on the official forums. It IS a widespread problem despite your insistence that it isn't.
No Target orders fulfilled at all yet, no one but Gamestop and Amazon (so far) getting their 'Play as Batman' reward. It's not a small matter.
Everyone is too busy ohhing and ahhing to have noticed yet in game perhaps.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 10:57AM Valdamar said

Poor little Americans crying over their pre-orders while being completely oblivious to the fact that most of the rest of the world either don't get any pre-order bonuses or don't get any choice of pre-order bonuses (i.e. a single pre-order bonus per territory). Boo frikkin hoo.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:49PM Interitus said

@JohnFordColey

That was simply an advertising banner. When I went to the pre-order website I was clearly told I would only get the ice thing. The only place I saw that I could get the batman PVP character was if I ordered the collectors edition from a retailer. When I pre-ordered it showed a window with exactly what I was getting. Although I did order from Canada so Amazon wasn't an option, which apparently had Batman.

@johnnyfrag SO you're in game despite not getting your pre-order bonus. How do you survive? If you need to play Batman that badly go buy Arkham Asylum. And I looked at the forums. I found one .. rather empty. And yes, it is the sellers fault. When I ordered APB I never recieved the pre-order bonus key form Steam. Since I pre-ordered a few days in advance I canceled that order and ordered from the APB site since I didn't know if Steam would get me my key. When I ordered from the APB site I got my bonus key instantly.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:53PM Furdinand said

You know a launch went pretty well when pre-order goodies are the big complaint.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:35PM Caerus said

@Furdinand

It's odd you should say that, because I feel the opposite: When I pre-order, I know I'm gambling a bit with my cash, and I know that it might be a rocky launch. The pre-order items are my guaranteed, even if everything else is broken I still get a cool shiny, pacifier if you will. That there are problems with awarding an item to people strikes me as simply absurd. When I picture people complaining about this, I envision "OK, my character has 1 arm and constantly phases out, the game crashes every 10 seconds, my dog is dead, PLEASE JUST LET ME HAVE THIS ONE SINGLE LITTLE THING TO LESSEN THE PAIN" and they don't even get that.

I'd be pretty furious too.

Also, most of the time pre-order items are better than starter gear, and pre-order customers are typically fast levelers. So either they can wait until they get the item they paid for to play efficiently, or they can go without and miss out on some easier play with the item they were supposed to have. I'm not sure if the DCUO items are like this, since I haven't played the game and have no familiarity with it, but I think my point comes across.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 11:48PM jonnyfrag said

• Half a heart
What I am talking about is that unless you ordered from Gamestop, you didn't get 'Play as Batman' at launch day. Amazon has gotten straight now and is getting keys out to people over the next 48 hours and everyone else from any other retailer or download place has not gotten their thing. And SOE is saying 'sorry if you were confused about our advertising' which was at best misleading but really actually false advertising. SOE is locking threads on the subject and saying 'contact where you bought it from as we aren't going to help you.'

I am also talking about Target failing to have product for their PC pre-orders AT ALL and are saying they will be shipping as late as March. Not a snow delay , they simply never got product to fill any pre-ordered they sold.
If you are calling virtually every pre-order messed up (excepting Gamestop it seems) in some way, some worse than others a 'smooth launch' then you are just too used to being treated like doo doo as a paying customer.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 11:49PM jonnyfrag said

• 1 heart
And what I am saying is that people SHOULD be hearing about this, but aren't because the game sites and SOE are keeping as quiet as possible and not letting the story get out. Trust me, it's a BIG deal over in the official forums (well before they started locking threads about it...yes even the 'main thread' they tried to keep it all in.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:43AM pixelmonkey said

I am behind the times here - I haven't picked up my preorder because after playing the beta I thought the game was very content light - and not worthy of a sub yet - but now you are saying that the batman deal that was part of my preorder from Best Buy isn't real? Can you confirm this? I guess I can head over to the offical forums - but if that is the case that kind of sucks...

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 9:15AM jonnyfrag said

@pixelmonkey
As far as I know, Best Buy has no way to give you a Batman code as they never received them from SOE. And SOE tells you to go complain to Best Buy as their answer.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 1:15AM Thasri said

• 1 heart
Yea.......SOE would screw somethings up. I beta tested the game, I thought it was ok and it had it's good points but I knew some how SOE would frak something up and piss off a lot of people. Looks like I was right, that's why I don't buy any thing from them any more. After getting burned from the SWG thing I don't think I'll ever trust them again and these is a prime example.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 2:51AM Furdinand said

Can't be that universal a problem, I have my Batman and I ordered from Amazon. At some point, I'm sure that everyone who is due Batman will get Batman.

@jonnyfrag -It's not about being used to be treated badly as a customer. It's about knowing the nature of MMOs and deciding not to freak out over things that end up getting fixed pretty quickly and fade from memory shortly after. Like the scorpion said to the hawk, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

In my work, I make mistakes but I also fix them when given an opportunity. As a customer, I give businesses the same chance.