Posted: Jan 14th 2011 3:56PM Protoavis said

@lmollea

Because the F2P model isn't really a F2P model it's an infinite demo, the main focus on going this route is increasing subscription numbers (since they failed at getting them through other methods) rather than trying to turn the C-Store into the main money maker by adding all the customisation options (power hues, powers themselves, etc) to it. They're pretty much thinking they'll get people playing and that they will then want to be "uber" and start subbing to get the "gold account" which I imagine will only have a limited success.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 7:15AM Tazmanyak said

You did a strong analysis, and i think your suggestions are to be considered.
But, in my opininon, you ask "too much" for the silver characters.
I really understand there are 2 goals for cryptic:
. make sure silver players enjoy the game
. make sure silver players want to pay for something

If, by default, silver accounts have too much templates customization, they may be "too powerfull", and not be interested in a gold account to unlock freeform templates.
But, it seems those silver powersets are really underpowered, so i'm affraid f2players just leave game after a few hours

I thought cryptic could have used same system as lotro/ddo: use perks to give all characters a few cryptic points.
Silver players could definitly use those free points to unlock gold powersets.
Gold members, and LTS, could also gain some usefull points to buy costume packs (or anything else ... retcons for example)
It seems Cryptic didnt want to follow this path, and i think it's a bad choice too.

So finally, another question could be: cryptic chose to give silver chars access to the full game, full character customization.
They chose to limit silver accounts with those powersets.
Then, if you think f2p should have more "customability", what part of the game would you have restricted???

Posted: Jan 15th 2011 2:58PM Patrick Mackey said

@Tazmanyak I think customization ideally should be limited to in-framework customization with a small amount of freedom for the utility powers (field surge, masterful, bcr, etc). My idea is that, if someone picks the Inferno archetype, he's limited to fiery form as a passive, all the powers in fire are available for him to select, plus a few utilities. This limits customization; he can't pick ice or infernal powers (which synergize great with fire).

I also think that the costume customization they are currently allowing is about right. I think that the number of pieces Silver players should get is many, but restrict access to some of the better-looking/more popular ones to encourage microtransaction purchases and full subs. Obviously there's also the issue of adventure packs, which are very worth buying.

There's enough limited in scope: I'm not suggesting that Silver characters get full power customization at all. I just feel that right now, the silver ATs are too weak and they just aren't fun. When I make a character, how he/she feels in the 1-20 game is a big deal. If I was limited to Ice Cage and Ice Blast for 1-11, I'd just stop playing.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 12:36PM Valdamar said

Only Cryptic would take perhaps the most original thing about their superhero MMO (unrestricted choice of powers) and lock it behind the velvet rope of a subscription. It just seems like they are hellbent on hampering any chance CO has of surviving.

I think they'd have been better off doing CO as a freemium game first and seeing how that worked out - give everyone totally unrestricted access to your game until somewhere in the L20-30 range (maybe L25) and then either have a subscription to go onwards to the level cap, or alternatively a one-off payment (maybe per character) to unlock your own personal level cap in 5 level increments from there onwards.

Posted: Jan 14th 2011 5:02PM Issmir said

@Valdamar

I'm not sure that would be cost-effective, seeing as I know a great many people who enjoy the lower/mid level game and the character creator so much that after 15 months of playing they have one (and sometimes zero) level 40 characters.

Posted: Jan 19th 2011 8:01AM Arcadian said

What Archetypes need is a reason to subscribe.

Not going to happen.

Game's gone by this time next year. Count on it.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM