Posted: Jan 12th 2011 3:23PM SocksForYou said

How are zones laid out in Rift? Is it like WoW/LotRO where you have huge, seamless landmasses and can travel between zones without seeing a loading screen, or is everything broken up with portals or something?
Also, are there multiple "channels" for each area to limit the number of onscreen players? (I hope not)

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 3:37PM RizzRustbolt said

@SocksForYou It's the single mass, no loading screen variety.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 3:38PM Wisdomandlore said

@SocksForYou

The zones all connected seamlessly, albeit with landscape "funnels" akin to WoW and LOTRO.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 6:05PM JoolaPrime said

@SocksForYou If there is a limit to the numbers you see it's set quite high.

In some of the Rift battles I was in there were way more players I could keep track of on my screen. I'd say at least 50+ inside the rift event area (which isn't very big at all...esp. for that many people.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 3:30PM Luk said

Is Jan 25th some kind of magic number?
Too many MMOs are scheduling something on this day.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 3:35PM winterborn said

I will give the next beta round a shot on another rig but last one was not that great.

The game looks good on top settings but still feels like a sister game to Warhammer. Since they use the same engine and the Rifts look simular to Chaos its hard to not look alike.
I also am not a fan of time machines, robots, guns, vehicles etc. in a fantasy game.
I re imaged and updated my back up rig for this event and had very inconsistant issues. It would crash (CTD) and reboot at random times. I would get great FPS in top quality sometimes and other times would get crap. Even with low end rendering it will creep during events or if there are alot of players around.
Xp sp3 (32bit) 3.6ghz Core Due, 3gb 1066 Ram, GTX 285, its water cooled and ran cold. I loaded AoC back on it and it ran like butter. I have a 6mb DSL line so I dont know why but it did not like that rig ?

Hopefully they can work some of the issues out soon.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 6:17PM JoolaPrime said

@winterborn

There is a chronic memory leak issue in regards to 'graphics', Trion know about it and it's being worked on...so they say.

For me, the beta for Rift has been the most solid I've ever been in. I don't think I've crashed out once and the only issue I've had with performance is...well, I haven't had any. Reading through the forums I'd say there's a 70/30 positive feel to the over beta experience, which is fantastic.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 4:08PM Greyjoy said