Posted: Jan 12th 2011 5:29PM Zeliath said

Warfronts were pretty awesome, I had a couple matches on my Ranger/Marksman and it gets pretty hectic (27 kills - 1 death btw lol!). Also peeps on the Guardian side get pvp quest rewards and I assume Defiant does as well, so I picked up a rare weapon for 5 pvp wins. Only downside I would say is if one team gets up that slope with the Fang they have pretty much won it.

I'm really enjoying Rift and just bought the CE digital. Rift ftw!

(P.S. I wish Massively streamd on Jtv!!!)

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 5:42PM RizzRustbolt said

Black Garden was surprisingly fun. And this is coming from someone that doesn't really find PvP to be fun.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 5:43PM Sharuk said

Gloamwood is one of my favorite zones in any MMO I have ever played. Stonefield is awesome too.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:11PM meanieme said

@Sharuk
I only managed to port into Stonefield and port right back out (had mobs all around me that were a lot higher lvl than me at lvl 18) so I can't talk to that.
But I absolutely agree with you about Gloamwood.
I've played almost every MMO to come down the pike since UO at release and I've never seen a zone totally wow me like Gloamwood did.
Absolutely jawdropping.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 7:25PM Alchemda said

THIS is why Open World PVP will rock in this game. They said no over world objectives.. but yes there are! What rift mobs can attack, we can attack. I just hope these are geared for that type of gameplay and not with guards that only go down to NPC's but not players.

I cant wait to get guild groups together to thrash some quest hub in the other factions zone.. they are trying to fight off invasions/rifts while fighting off invasion from the other faction.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 7:25PM Boruk said

I had so much fun exploring and playing around with multiple classes that I forgot to level.

Hopefully I get into the next wave as well to actually level up some and experience a Rift or 2 and some PvP.

Only thing that I see Rift has going against it is the upcoming Swotor release*

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 8:52AM Snichy said

@Boruk Same with me - I levelled a few characters looking for the right soul-combination and now I have found it, am looking forward to climbing that tree!

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 7:26PM Distaste said

There is going to be HUGE PvP killing issues in this game, namely them not balancing classes based on PvP. What that means is you will end up seeing very large numbers since PvE will require them and in PvP that will mean instant death. At 27 certain classes can already burst for an entire players HP bar. Add on the fact that TRION was dumb and used percentages in abilities, it means you will see a whole lot of insta-gibs. It will effectively become a war of who has their insta-gib timers up.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 5:17AM Zeliath said

@Distaste I haven't seen any souls able to burst for an entire players hp bar or any one hit killers yet. Are you privy to information most of the consumer base isn't? because nobody has brought this up on the beta boards at all.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 12:10PM Scarecrowe said

@Zeliath

It might just have been lag but my lev 12 justicar got wiped 4 times in a row from the top ledge of the Black Garden. I *might* have taken a small hit or two prior but I would have been at least at 90% health before getting hit for the rest of my health bar.

That aside, the Black Garden appears to have borrowed heavily from whatever that T2 scenario in Warhammer was called where the Fang = the thing. (kill the person with the thing and get the thing, hold the thing, hope you're healed, eventually the ticks are too much and you die)

I actually didn't particularly enjoy the scenario PvP in Rift. It was just sort of meh. It was too fast and less strategic than I would have liked. It probably won't put me off of buying the game but I doubt I will bother to queue unless I'm really bored. Also, the favor accrued from healing seemed to be pretty low even though I was topping the charts. Not much XP payout either. Not sure what to do with favor so I seem to be missing the point altogether on what playing the scenarios would do (besides the obvious "provide entertainment" which it missed out on for me).

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 7:27PM Mylamber said

With it's pvp and pve elements being so much fun, I have even more fun starting toons and playing with the souls!! I love mixing it up and seeing what I want to play. I'm a character creator type of player. I loooove the soul system!

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 7:56PM Resurge said

Wait ..did you say you outran a marksman WHILE he shot you, until your pvp flag RAN OUT ..and you were no longer attackable? That is ridiculous ..what the hell kind of system allows a pvp flag to run out while you are IN PVP COMBAT? I mean, I would think being involved in any sort of pvp would/should reset any pvp flags to their maximum duration, no? If you can just heal yourself and run ..what is the point of a flag at all?
*(caviat) I only play pvp servers, so it wouldn't be an issue for me i guess, but is that how games on PvE servers usually work? Is that how WOW PvE servers work? If so, I guess I hate PvE servers even more than i thought i did, lol.

Posted: Jan 24th 2011 10:59PM milK said

@Resurge : I'm assuming he did not attack the Marksman back wich means he's just attacked and not in actual battle. And if I remember correctly WoW worked the same way (might have changed over time, I played in '05).

Personaly I prefer PvE so this particular example was something I liked a lot. To each their own I guess :)

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:00PM Resurge said

PS: great article otherwise! I did not fully realize how the wardstone/rift/invasion things worked entirely, myself - but everything i tried(and i tried alot) i enjoyed ..nothing revolutionary here really, but RIFT is a solid, fun alternative to whatever game you might be bored/sick of at this particular time, or in the future.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:06PM Graill440 said

Just being in stonefield flagged you if you hadnt already figured that out, you wouldnt need to touch anything.

Say, were you in the silkwood killing spiders Karen? (on your side?) If so maybe we met? My blades diregarded level and i certainly took pride in decimating the young guardians as i was decimated on my side by your higher level folks days prior to my mindless rampage.......sad isnt it? That abused children level up to be abusers themselves, perhaps if i had some counceling?

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:12PM Graill440 said

She either is misreading where she was or perhaps in a different zone as Stonefiled and Gloamwood are pvp only. If she passed into the non pvp land adjacent to either of them her flag would have worn off >IF< she was >out< of combat long enough meaing she hadnt take another hit, so yes some of the story is off.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:18PM Suhaira said

@Grail440
....or she was playing on a pve server.....

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:14PM Graill440 said

My last post was for Resurge.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:25PM Karen Bryan said

Yes, I was on a PvE server, so as a Guardian, I wasn't flagged for PvP until I attacked the wardstone. As for the PvP flag, I never engaged the ranger who was attacking me, so I"m guessing that's why my flag wore off. Next time I'll smack him and let you know what happens!

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 4:18AM Graill440 said

@Karen Bryan

Pve server makes sense, i actually didnt know the pve only servers were on this go around.