Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:39PM madcartoonist said

I decided to make my character on a PVP server. I have never done this in any other MMO before so should make things a little different. I have thought about doing it in other games but if I changed my mind about it later I would feel like I wasted whatever time went into leveling that character that I would have to create again on a PVE server.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 8:40PM Branded Alive said

So, can someone tell me about how the game is coming along 1+ day into it?

I know it's promising that new servers are already beginning to pop up, but I haven't heard anything as far as reviews from people, or if it's worth picking up.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 9:09PM Duulin said

@Branded Alive I'm really enjoying it and I'm not traditionally a superhero fan. What got me hooked was the fast paced combat (similar to Vindictus) and how well the game runs graphically. It's the first game I logged into in beta and never had to touch the graphics options on my laptop, it looked amazing and ran smooth as silk on default settings.

I'm a casual player and play only about an hour a day so I"ve found no lack of content which seems to be the number one complaint. If you are looking for a hardcore game to live life on while growing your neck beard and being fed cheetos intravenously it's probably not the game for you. However if you are looking for a fast action, voice acted, graphically polished game to play an hour or two a day, you could do a lot worse than DCUO.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 9:17PM madcartoonist said

@Branded Alive
I have also been enjoying the action aspect of the game. I am using an xbox controller to play though because all that clicking would of been too much on the mouse. I can't say how much content there is an I tend to be a little more casual in my play so I level slowly anyways.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 9:57PM JoolaPrime said

@Branded Alive
On the other hand I've had a terrible time getting the game looking good on my system. The default settings where less than ideal for my setup and I couldn't change them until I had created my first character and entered into the game proper.
There's also the lack of AA (or at least I couldn't find a way to turn it on ingame) that's more than a little disappointing.
My first character was on a PvP server, which for me was a mistake (I had no experience with the game before it launched), I was continually defeated by the other side due to my lack of know how anything worked (I eventually won some fights).
As far as power loadouts go DCUO treats them completely differently to what you'd find in CoX or CO.

Overall though I had a blast on my first evening. Its a good looking game (once you get it sorted) and there's a ton of action from the get-go. Its also nice to be playing along side iconic figures.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 10:10PM Branded Alive said

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I've been seriously contemplating getting the game, but I have been hesitant. I couldn't play the beta, because I just now got my gaming rig updated.

But, I think I'm going to pick it up, and hop in!

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 11:23PM mechanicalturk said

@Branded Alive

I think you will be happy with your choice. I am playing the PS3 version and I love it. I am also a casual player, so I doubt I will burn through the content any time soon. The action-oriented combat on PVP servers, with iconic super heroes, made DCUO worth trying out.

The game ran very well for me on launch day. I noticed a few small issues, but nothing like I have experienced with other MMO launches. I haven't pushed into much of the content yet. I am hopeful that the stability will continue to be consistent. I also have a few things to figure out with respect to the interface on the PS3. Using a control pad for a MMO requires a bit of a learning curve. It's great for combat.

Even with all of the bad-guy blasting and PVP goodness to be had, I catch myself just flying around and exploring. I'm looking forward to seeing the game evolve.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:01AM UnSub said

@Branded Alive I'd advise seeing what people are saying about DCUO in 30 days time, not 2 days into launch, before picking it up. It is initially very fun, but runs into content and gameplay issues due to the short levelling curve and some design choices.

Before anyone says, "But SOE promises monthly updates", they are promising large updates every quarter and they've also made statements about DCUO that they couldn't keep (e.g. launch date of November 2, everyone gets into the PC and PS3 beta by November 30 if you preorder, etc). I'm looking forward to Chris Cao's interview today that tells everyone how happy SOE have been with the launch and might give some indication of what the next update is going to be. Wonder if he mentions the cash shop items...

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 12:58PM Zantom said

@Duulin

I agree with your comments.

The game is a great casual game. It is nice to follow some story lines, hack and slash it up, and beat up on the opposing team.

PvP server works well this this game. Yes ganks are frequent like others, but the fights last longer, even when you are way out leveled. There is reactionary skill required for combat, so it isn't just what gear you have and hitting the same buttons. You need to block at the right times, leap at the right times and use your block breaker skills at the right time.

Props to SOE. If they can keep the money pouring into the game then it will have a long shelf life...

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 12:27AM Regault said

Cry for Blood eh?

As long as they never make Cry for Justice we're okay.

Although looking at the server lists, PS3 gets almost all the good story arcs as names. Only decent one on the PC side is New Frontier, while PS3 gets Killing Joke, No Mans Land, and Birthright.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 2:12AM TheGreatMachine said

@Regault hahaha. If they do I'd name my toon Lian. Or Arm of Roy.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 9:01AM Monitor2112 said

@Regault Hmm. Must be the storyline with Lian dying and the horrid changes I heard happened to Roy. Since I haven't bought any comics since mid-way thorugh 52 I am pretty much behind on that stuff.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:10AM orso said

I didn't play beta, but was very interested by the recent game footage, so I picked up a copy on Tuesday and I must say.

THE GAME ROCKS!!!

I've played a lot of mmo's and I must say I haven't had this much fun with and MMO in quite some time. The action, the storytelling, the pvp interaction, character creation and customization, all of it is a blast, and I'm only level 10!

I would recommend this game to everyone.

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 10:30AM wagonfactor said

@orso i agree with you 100%. was watching some footage and it looked fun so i figured id pick it up and play it while waiting for rift to come out. but WOW! this game has completely blown me away. honestly, i dont even know if ill buy rift at this point. DCUO is one of the funnest games i have ever played. the whole set up of the game, the city, the under ground, the instances, the pvp, the arenas, the open world pvp, the quests, the travel, the graphics.... i mean .... wow, its completely blown me away. for those concerned about content there is ALOT here. endgame is similar to others with instances, raids, different types of pvp, gear and weapons to collect. tons of stuff in the world to collect as well. the cutscenes. the story. everything is just extremely well made and im, by no means, a comic book/super hero fan. made it up to lvl 14 so far and everything has been EXTREMELY impressive. also, if you liked the free roam feel of games like crackdown, infamous, prototype... think that, but an mmo. i really cant say anyone being disappointed with this game