Posted: Jan 11th 2011 1:31PM mttgamer said

I nearly forgot about Mythos....Good lord they are slower on releasing information then Arenanet and Guild Wars2!! And thats slow!!

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 1:39PM Tom in VA said

I am mildly interested in Mythos, having enjoyed my time back in the old days with the original Mythos beta. I wonder how this game will stack up against Torchlight 2....

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 3:50PM RizzRustbolt said

"prior to HanbitSoft taking the reigns."

Literally in this case, as HanbitSoft used a legal loophole so seize control of the IP from Flagship, sinking the company in the process.

I suggest no one play this game.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 4:22PM wondersmith said

@RizzRustbolt

I was under the impression that Hanbitsoft lent money to Flagship with the Mythos and Hellgate IPs as collateral. When Flagship went belly-up (through its own fault), Hanbitsoft collected, fair and square. And instead of merely cannibalizing the art assets and software for other projects, Hanbitsoft set about continuing where Flagship left off, finishing Mythos and re-releasing Hellgate. If anything, it seems to me that Hanbitsoft deserves praise for seeing the value in these fine IPs and not letting them die.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 4:02PM Dracones said

Flagship didn't need help sinking. The company pretty much did that to itself.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 4:03PM wondersmith said

Good to see Frogster working steadily on the European Mythos and giving us news and status reports. Frogster gets things done!

I wish the same could be said for Redbana and the North American version. On their own forums even the moderator has joined the (few remaining) fans in bitterly complaining about the continuing silence. Redbana seems to have lost all interest in the game.

I just hope Frogster doesn't lock non-Europeans out of their version!

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 11:31AM Goofus said

@wondersmith Redbana doesn't exist any more. Don't hold your breath waiting for Mythos to come to the US any time soon (if ever).

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 4:47PM Valdamar said

First worldwide hack & slash MMO? That can't be right - DCUO released today - and Vindictus is already out - plus I'm sure there are even older hack & slash MMOs that have slipped my mind.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 9:13PM End Dream said

@Valdamar They mean hack n Slash in the classic sence. A la Diablo etc. There's a big difference between diablo 2 and vindictus.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 11:52PM Valdamar said

@End Dream
There's "a" difference, I guess ;)

I played DCUO last week though - that's worldwide and rather hack & slashy - there's really little difference between the combat in that and Diablo 1-2, Torchlight , Titan Quest, etc. - ok it's third person and not isometric, but apart from that you're still wrecking your left mouse button (and whichever index finger you use on it) and occasionally the right mouse button to click-spam enemies to death.

Actually I'm not sure why anyone would want to brag they'd made a hack & slash MMORPG - surely that's like making an MMOFPS and then giving everyone an automatic/mandatory aimbot. Sure, I got tons of gameplay out of Diablo 2 back in 1997 - I also got tons of gameplay out of my Atari 2600 VCS with a single joystick button in the 1980s - but I expect slightly more depth from combat gameplay in this decade, especially from an MMORPG that's supposed to keep me engaged for years.

I've always wanted more action-orientated combat in MMOs, but by that I meant I want movement and tactics to be more important in combat and abilities to trigger faster (rather than waiting 3 seconds for an animation to play out) - so we're not just standing toe-to-toe and pressing the same 3-4 hotbar buttons repetitively until a bag of hit points decides to fall over - dumbing that down to just pressing the left mouse button constantly is not my idea of action-orientated gameplay - and certainly not my idea of progress - not where MMORPGs are concerned anyway - I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 5:37PM DannyKay said

Well Vindictus is only for North American customers so thats hardly worldwide :p

Posted: Jan 13th 2011 5:05PM ShivanSwordsman said

@DannyKay

It doesn't help Vindictus has that retarded "Token" system. I'd like to meet whoever decided on the fatigue systems plaguing DFO and just about every other Nexon game. I'd like to slap them upside the head for doing something so stupid.

Hopefully these new games will relieve some of us of the boredom that these money grubbing companies have forced us into.