Posted: Jan 10th 2011 6:14PM karmamule said

Each of their beta events has me looking forward to Rift more and more. They may not be innovating quite as much as their hype tries to say, but they do the conventional stuff well, and their dynamic events are a good step in the right direction.

I had an absolute blast this past weekend, especially after they ran some server-wide events, and am eager for full launch to get here.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 6:28PM AlienFanatic said

@karmamule

Can you describe the server-wide events? Was there involvement from their GM community, meaning are they going to be running events with live NPC's, or do you mean more along the lines of huge RIFT invasions?

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 6:43PM karmamule said

@AlienFanatic

They were definitely GM-triggered events because the GMs sent out server-wide messages before they started, and the events themselves then affected the entire Defiant area that I was in at the time. The sky turned very dark (neat effect), dozens of rifts opened all over the place, and everyone playing received a specific quest for the event.

The quest also had specific goals for everyone to complete in a certain amount of time in order to thwart the invasion and return things to normal. I'm not sure if there were any GM controlled NPCs, but it was certainly much more than "open a bunch of rifts". I'd say it was more akin to a gigantic Warhammer-like public quest that involved the entire continent and everyone playing in that wide area at the time.

While I was playing they had two separate events that had some similarities but were different enough that it looks like they could have nice variety. The two main factions of Guardians and Defiant each got their own events, and the GMs were taunting us that the Guardians had completed their's successfully earlier in the day, and would we be able to do the same.

It was wild and chaotic and lots and lots of fun!

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 7:10AM Suhaira said

@karmamule
No they are scripted randomly triggered by the server events based on zone population.
At this stage only a few are triggered by the gms so they can test the content of the zone invasions. The mobs and bosses are not controlled by gms. The messages are scripted, except for the ones that mock how badly we are getting stomped by the invasion, (as happened on my server once, we failed miserably) that's clearly the gms lol.
A lot of people made the same mistake in thinking this, Scott Hartsman had to point out that they are server driven on the podcast after the NDA lift.:)

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 3:35PM Crestfallen said

@AlienFanatic Yeah they were GM involved... It was pretty funny because the GMs started Sunday morning with a message, "Shall we start slowly today"

When I replied that "Someone needed their coffee"

The GM sent another server message stating that they would no longer be starting slowly. I got a grin out of that.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 1:33AM Graill440 said

I found a nice little elevator at Loggerhead pass whilst ganking the guardians in Gloamwood in open world pvp (dont ask why, they just deserved it........yes, they did). Though i never ganked the same person twice, at least i dont think i did.

The mountainous, snowy area was guarded by a level 40 rift, naturally at level 27 it was all death con to me but i had to burn my hand anyway, they saw right through stealth, even with boost, heh. Looks like i may give this title a try till TOR or GW2 comes out.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 8:33AM The Protagonist said

I liked this game from the start but was unsure if this could be my "main" MMO, then I found a class/soul-spec that really fitted into my playstyle and since then I absolutely loved it. The moral is: persevere and try all different combinations as there is something there for everyone. Cant wait until March!

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014