Posted: Jan 10th 2011 3:22PM Cam L Tow said

• 1 heart
No offense to CoH players, but there is only so much you can do with that tired engine. At this point they are only putting lipstick on a pig. With the exodus of major players from the development team in recent weeks (starting with BaB), I really wonder what is going on there considering the community element they preach. This 'announcement' is nothing more than trying to get some press on the heels of DCUO's release. I will give them credit for that.

I am still lulz'n at the interview with War Witch, where most of the questions revolved around the other superhero games instead of City of Catgurls. Nothing like being asked about your competitors when you are trying to get press for your game.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 3:33PM Zantom said

@Cam L Tow

You have an expected perspective from one outside the game. I don't blame you and you may be right on some points. I will say that upon reactivating my account just recently (after having been off for about a year or so) I am surprised at how big the community is still and how fun the game is.

With titles like EQ and DAoC still actively kicking and titles like APB that closed soon after launch we can't expect that there is a one to one relationship between new technology and successful title or conversely the success of old technology. How many people were still playing the original Starcraft (before and probably even after SC2 released).

Time will tell for CoH/V but I wouldn't put a nail on any coffin simply because the game is old and has new competitors... Personally, I own all three hero MMOs... *Shrug*

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 4:07PM Cam L Tow said

@Zantom

I played the game for several years. I only recently unsubbed, so I'm not that much of an 'outsider'. You are still in the new car smell phase after a long absence. I would imagine that you have been back maybe a couple months at best. So, yeah, the game will be fun. After about 6 months you milage may vary.

I never said DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM for CoH, I know their customers are extremely loyal. I just said their engine is tired and I am sure they are doing whatever they can to get the most out of it.

Judging for my own experience with City of, many of the players enjoy what they have and that is great. Most new titles won't appeal to them as they draw comfort from the familiarity and enjoy paying $15 a month for a chat room. I was just trying to say no matter how much spin and hype they create, the engine limits them.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 5:26PM StClair said

@Cam L Tow :

WoW's engine is of almost identical vintage. They seem to be doing all right.

(this is StClair, not sure why I'm showing up as Unverified)

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 3:41PM SiML said

Well yes Paragon Studios always do stress the community element to their game, but paradoxically they do tend to have selective hearing when it comes to certain features the community has been crying out for for years.
Take PvP for instance. Everyone is crying for a reversal to when PvP was fun and practised by more players - ie: circa Issue 12, before Castles disastrous nerfing of the feature with ludicrous things like travel and heal suppression.
Will we see an acknowledgement of or appraisal of pvp and perhaps a revert to Issue 12 pvp now that Castles and his unfinished pvp plan has gone? .... no?.

So many things broken with with CoH, but keep on plugging that Issue :20/21. *rolls eyes*

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 3:58PM illansesher said

• 1 heart
Hey lets talk about DCUO's "worldwide" release today. It releases in America today. Europe on Friday (the 14th) & not in Australia (where I am) til the 20th. Hardly a "worldwide" release & what MMO EVER is released on different days in different countries??? Sony dropped the ball on this one. Canceling my pre order. GO GO TEAM AMERICA!!!

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 3:59PM Utakata said

Sounds like they intend to more improve customer service than the game. :(

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 5:19PM patman23 said

I've been playing CoH since just after launch, so I feel I have the longtime loyal fan perspective...

Sounds awesome! But what else would I say? Especially since I'm not part of the rumored everyone who is crying for PVP rollback.

I hope DCUO does well, as I do for CO's F2P move. MMO competition is a good thing.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 6:28PM StClair said

@Tempes Magus:

F2P CoH? No. No no no no.

"Free" tends to end up costing all but the most casual/limited players more than a subscription would, and opens the door to a flood of idiots with no patience or investment in the game. These idiots tend to get bored and/or banned fairly quickly (in both cases departing with a final declaration that "this game sux"), but there's always more of them.

Just imagine your favorite social spot filling up with screaming preschoolers and all the drinks going up to $20 each. That's the reality of "F2P".

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 2:33AM CCon99 said

@Tempes Magus

There's really no reason for CoH to go F2P at this point, the game has made it's money back multiple times over and has crushed all the expectations that were made for the game before it launched. It's going to be 7 years old this coming Spring and all of their servers but 1 are listed at medium capacity each night, 2 of them being at Heavy capacity each night.

At this point, all they need is to make enough to pay the tiny staff and bills, the rest is easy money.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 6:17PM Valdamar said

@Tempes Magus
Yeah it's an old engine, but I wish they could make it run better on all hardware - my friend has a new PC and CoH runs terrible on it re framerates - I have an old PC (well, it was cutting edge about 2 years after CoH launched) and while it ran CoH fine on average settings pre-GR it now runs terrible post-GR on pretty much all settings, and that's with ultra-mode off - so the Dev comments that GR would not affect minimum requirements as long as you didn't turn ultra-mode on was a complete lie from my perspective - it has really destroyed my enthusiasm for playing CoH.

Last year all I wanted was fresh content for CoH - since we got the expansion I just wish they'd spend a year either optimising or replacing that total dog of an engine, because it is really holding CoH back. I don't mind the old graphics - I still like them and CoH is still streets ahead of every other MMO for animations (DCUO, for example, has awfully stilted character animations) - but if a game refuses to run at decent framerates regardless of your hardware it just really kills playability for me.

And if we can't have a new engine then it's really about time we had a sequel.