Posted: Jan 10th 2011 7:26PM mmogaddict said

One of the Cons of it was that it did reduce a character down to pushing at most 2~3 buttons. For example I would setup my DIYCE for standard PvE, Boss PvE and Directional PvE (for those attacks when I might need to be behind a mob). Hell I even had a basic one for *most* PvP situations and would twist in various options as the need arised.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 12:32AM DancingCow said

@mmogaddict

As opposed to a dozen?

Any mmo with combat that can be automated in this fashion is already too boring for me to play.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 8:59PM mmogaddict said

@DancingCow
As I said it's a Con of the System. It's also why I stopped playing the game.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 7:49PM supremeaaron said

Should I feel scared that I actually understand that code?

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 8:37PM PrimeSynergy said

@supremeaaron You are not alone and I too am terrified...

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:09PM Averice said

You could run macro's like that in Vanilla WoW. Blizz didn't like it because they wanted you to have to press a button for each ability, so they removed timing, and then they wanted you to have to decide what ability you were going to use on your own, not allow the macros to make choices for you.

You used to be able to one button tank in WoW for example. Tanks would press one button, and it would be a long macro with 6-9 abilities on it that were given a priority in the queue. You still had to activate long cooldown abilities at the proper time, but that still made 95% of your ability pushes go to one button which you could just spam.

While WoW macros are limited by intention by Blizzard, they can still be very helpful if you bother to learn what's going on. I'm not sure if there are any good guides available at the moment, but Cogwheels over on wowwikki was great for TBC and most of Wrath. Those that use macro's definitely have an advantage over those who don't in WoW, but it's not as pronounced as it was when you could do anything you wanted. I must say, I didn't know RoM had such an open macro system and now I kind of want to try it out.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:12PM Averice said

@Averice Also not sure what you mean by not putting combat skills into macros, you most definitely can do that with WoW. You can't put in multiple skills and have the system choose one for you, but you can definitely have combat skills in your macros. "/cast skillname", there you go.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 11:42PM nomoredroids said

Finally! A game that plays combat for me. Now I can just run back and forth like I've always wanted!

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 1:36AM wfseg said

What's the difference between this and botting?

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 3:43AM Sleaker said

don't think the OP ever heard of LazyRogue or LazyWarrior. You used to be able to setup ability routines based on basic if/then statements. Then you'd hotkey the macro/script to one button and mash it forever. made playing a rogue/warrior fairly easy until blizzard finally removed the ability to automate actions through addons.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 5:23PM Skyydragonn said

you can still set up attack routtines in WoW via macros, it just takes a lil bit more knowledge of the games LUA system and its limitations. I had my mage down to 3 button rotation for most of Burning crusade, simply becuase It was doable and while i was never top on DPS charts I was never lower than 5th either. all by pressing 3 keys repeatedly for 3-4 hours a night. Aside from the fact that macros could be used to imbalance certain things (anyone recall 3 min trinket mages 1 shotting people in vanilla WoW? I do) They removed player choice and reaction not to mention removed any real "fun" from playing the game as it was nothing more than finger exercise for your index finger.
For a long while i stopped using macros of any kind (except a mouseover devestate macro for tanking) and avoided most keybinds and I was known well for being a very solid, reliable Warrior Tank at a time when they were usually overshadowed by paladin tanks.

I do appluade that RoMs system makes it so players with limitations can have better (or any) access to a game the possibilitys for abuse and misuse are large.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 10:30AM drakon said

As a "clicker", I would love the ability to do this to a simple degree in any MMO that I play. Sort of like the ability in DAoC to have a backup style queued. For those that have never played DAoC you select a backup style (usually a reactionary or positional style, side of the target or after you block etc.) then your normal anytime style. That way if you did block or the target moved you would use your backup style instead of the normal one.

Now there is a HUGE gap between a simple macro (see 1st paragraph) and scripting an entire fight. Scripting an entire fight would be boring. But giving me the ability to respond in a limited fashion to events that are beyond my reaction time would be nice. (ala backup styles for DAoC)

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 6:27PM claytondora said

Ultimately, this sort of implementation is possible in any sort of game where movement and combat are easily predictable affairs, at least between a player and a mob. The only solution: don't use a static targeting system in your MMO. Problem solved.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014