Posted: Jan 10th 2011 8:10PM Muddleglum said

I know it's hip to hate on Fallout 3, I loved it and was always rooting for Bethesda to win this fight. Now I wonder if Bethesda actually want to make a Fallout MMO, or do they just want all the rights? I would much rather have a Fallout MMO made by Interplay then no Fallout MMO at all.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 9:52AM johnmatthais said

@Muddleglum They just want the rights back. Bethesda has no intentions of making a Fallout MMO, they just want their (well, it's not really THEIR IP to begin with...it's Black Isle Entertainment's) full rights to the intellectual property back, for whatever reason that I don't really understand. Following the legal agreements or not, it's all a mess of legal jargon at this point. It's not like Interplay having the rights to a Fallout MMO is really hurting Bethesda, nor would it help them to have such rights back.

Such logic really makes one realize what kind of company Bethesda is. ;)

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 10:08AM Cavadus said

@Muddleglum

It's not hip. FO3, and to a lesser extent FONV, were far better than the previous titles ever were.

Interplay is currently controlled by Herve Caen. Caen refused to pay Interplay employees after his company purchased Interplay. It wasn't until a California court ordered Caen to pay his employees' salaries that he finally caved.

On top of that the agreement between Bethesda and Interplay stipulated that Interplay had to begin production of an MMO in *2007*. Is anyone actually stupid enough to think Interplay has three years of production behind FOOL? Hell, it was only just a few months that Interplay announced they would be using MastHead Studios' Earthrise engine.

And then there's that. Interplay is using MHS' Earthrise engine? Really?

It's all a ploy by Interplay to just get their grubby hands deeper into Bethesda's pockets and force them to pay for the IP they legally bought and purchased a second time.

Honestly, I hope Interplay dies in a fire. Rubbish company led by absolute d-bags and when was the last time they released *anything*? Exactly. The answer to that tells you everything you need to know.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 8:19PM real65rcncom said

As much as I loved the Fallout series, it's an IP.

Thus subject to the "IP MMO" curse.

Don't do it... think of the children.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:37PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@real65rcncom. The curse of IP MMOs doing so well that the people running the MMOs get too greedy and start destroying the game with bad decisions and twisting the IPs lore into an abomination?

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:51PM alinos said

@Drunken Irish Sniper

generally there already twisted when they start, unless they distance themselves as much as possible from any known source material which they often don't because what would be the point

My issue with IP MMO's though is that when there based on a SP game that has had numerous iterations it generally kills that game

like we havent had a new warcraft RTS, TOR is basically replacing Kotor and doesn't look like it will retain any of the character the original and the less worthy obsidian sequel had

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 8:21PM mmogaddict said

I doubt we will be seeing any Fallout MMORPG for a good 5 to 10 years at this rate.... hell I'm not even sure who will be making it, NOR who I would want to make it.

BTW who owns the rights to 'Wasteland' these days, maybe we can skip over Fallout and just go back to the original IP.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 8:27PM Pewpdaddy said

I'm on the fence about this one, New Vegas is fun... I just couldn't get into 3, maybe I've got issues.... But hey, at least the legal fiasco is amusing(not if your waiting for a Fallout MMO). =] Lawyers and Judges, never cease to amaze me... Idiocy in it's purest form 90% of the time.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 9:14PM Daelen said

Interplay just doesn't have what it takes to make a successful MMO, get out of the way.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 9:48PM chordcrazy said

@ Daelen
And you obtained this information from...?

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 9:52PM Rhazes said

I see where Bethseda is coming from. Interplay sat on the IP for 2 years and when Bethseda took them to court Interplay showed up with a Fallout MMO webpage and some simple artwork. saying hey we are working on it. I don't even think the Fallout MMO webpage has changed since then. Also what did Interplay make last year 2 million or so? Bethseda can afford to make an MMO. Interplay will be pressured to release a game at any cost no matter what shape its in.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:54PM alinos said

@Rhazes

yeah id rather they release games in there other IP's because i want another dark alliance more Earthworm Jim and MDK

yet instead there wasting time and money with a stupid lawsuit for a MMO that given how small interplay currently is probably wont be able to stand up well by the time it comes out

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:14PM Dumac said

Come on Bethesda, you're the bigger dog here, back off or you're gonna kill your opponent.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 11:00PM Jade Effect said

I expect Interplay to win this case, as the Court seemed inclined to agree with their position in Bethesda's filing of injunction against them in 2009.

Then again, who knows. Bethesda might win this round. Or maybe Bethesda intends to keep throwing lawsuits to bleed Interplay dry. Business is dirty, afterall.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 3:00AM pcgneurotic said

Let's just re-emphasise how utterly absurd it sounds to have licensed the name only. Either there's more to this than the headline precis here, or someone at Bethesda has been feasting on bat guano.

And for the record, I like both companies; Interplay in its original incarnation provided many happy gaming hours on the Amiga and ST, and Beth gave us Morrowind, the greatest SP RPG in the history of everything ever.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 3:28AM Lobotomist said

I hope Betasheda wins.

Interplay is not what it used to be. And Betasheda proved they can make good Fallout game - with some help of Obsidian .. hehe

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 2:38PM Twitchy5 said

If Bethesda wins, they better make another Fallout MMO.

Because if they don't I will never buy they're games again. Seriously, you're only hurting the players if you do that.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 9:18PM End Dream said

I think morally Interplay deserves the rights to the Fallout MMO. However, if they make it, the game will suck. It would be a much better game if Bethesda made it.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 11:02PM TheCrazyness said

Bethesda will make a better game. And thats why I would prefer for them to win.

One Shots: Cruising for Borg

Posted on Dec 22nd 2014 10:00AM

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM