Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:09AM AlienFanatic said

Gotta say that reading this made me LOL. I hearked back to the old days of EQ where GM's would do fun, and sometimes crazy stuff that made the game feel much more alive than usual. While this guy was a fool, I get the image of a little kid running around with a giant can of crazy string instead of something done with malicious intent.

Sorry to anyone that suffered because of the mischief, but at least you'll have weeks and months of fun stories to tell.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:10AM Gaff said

I remember in my time as a Counselor in Ultima Online I had some quite nifty powers that I could use, but any misuse of them got you cannoed very, very quickly by Origin.

It's interesting that Funcom give out GM access to volunteers. At Origin I believe GMs were only allowed to use their GM accounts from the workplace, not at home (or so I was led to believe).

It sounds like this one person definitely caused some anarchy online.

I'll get my coat...

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:53AM Omali said

@Gaff

Anarchy Online is one of the few MMOs I've seen where GMs can apparently access accounts from outside of the office.

Runescape goes a little further. GM accounts cannot trade or engage in PvP.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:18AM Thac0 said

I wish they would do a graphics overhaul on AO i think it could maintain a good sized playerbase if it looked like it didn't look so outdated and ugly. I would at least but the bad clunky graphics are hard to get past at a point in a games life where it looks like it came from computing antiquity.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 6:07AM mysecretid said

@Thac0

My friends and I feel the same way about Anarchy Online. Most of us would be interested in reactivating our accounts if the game just didn't look so damn ugly and outdated.

I re-upped for something like fifteen minutes' actual play-time last year: the graphics practically made my eyes bleed, and I fled.

On a related note: EverQuest II seems to be going the same way. The environments still look passable, but yikes, the character graphics are getting painful!

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:33AM Dutzu said

This is what the picture and title made me think of:
And some small japanese guys running around screaming 'gojiraaaaaa' pointing at the thing.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:46AM kaelidancer said

By all accounts it was a good time until the perma-fear happened. I wasn't online when this happened, but I was on when the server came back up. I can understand the frustration.

Thac0, this overhaul is coming, but remember that these things generally take a couple of years with a large team, but there are only about 10 people working on AO and they also have to cover bugfixes, maintenance, a rebalance, a new newbie experience, and new content injections while also finding time to work on the engine.

I'm pretty apologetic, but I'm also not one of the playerbase clamoring for the new engine. I'll welcome it when it comes but in the meantime I don't mind the existing graphics at all. One person's outdated and ugly is this girl's nostalgic and simple, I suppose. :)

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:48AM Meagen said

That sounds like it was complete... uh... what do you call it when authority completely breaks down and anyone can run around doing whatever they like...

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:57AM Drunken Irish Sniper said

@Meagen. Fun?

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 11:09AM Elranzer said

They found the guy responsible...

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 11:40AM Scuffles said

Anarchy Online .... at least you can't fault them for truth in advertising.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 11:40AM Jade Effect said

• 1 heart
Funcom trusted some strangers over the Internet with GM powers and think they won't abuse it one day? Yay, let's recruit some players and make them work for free! I guess they really deserve this episode of mayhem for being so foolish and naive. Now they gotta mobilize all that manpower and time to clean up.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 12:17PM (Unverified) said

How ironic.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 12:19PM cic said

Anarchy Online... how apt.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 2:14PM real65rcncom said

Mortal Online had something like this happen to because they use volunteer GM with certain powers.

One guy set his guild/friends up and did all kinds of crazy.

Thats' totally unacceptable for a brand new game like Mortal trying to get started.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 4:40PM JoeH42 said

"If you are mad about your accounts being banned, or something like that, please try to grow up and accept the fact that you very likely deserved it."

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. MMO players grow up and accept responsibility for their actions? ROFL.

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 4:55PM Lateris said

No way!

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 3:20AM Brockobama321 said

Reminds me of the World 11(1?) massacre in Runescape.

Ah, back when Runescape was good.

One Shots: Hello, autumn