Posted: Jan 9th 2011 2:47PM milk steak said

• Half a heart
"I have played EVE Online for years and years and never felt the same sense of nerdy happiness that I felt when looking at a playable Enterprise. Where EVE ships are brown, dingy, dark and (I imagine) smelly-looking, STO ships are colorful, fantastical, detailed and powerful-looking"

Er, what? OK... Why is it every article, you find it upon yourself to minimize another popular game to get your impressions across to the reader?

Here again...
"My fellow players were mostly helpful, peppered occasionally with some "your mum" kids who seemed to have stumbled in from a World of Warcraft trade channel discussion on Chuck Norris."

Yeah, god forbid that any other game has it's own douche community. Has 2b teh kidz from the WoWzers infiltrating this sacred realm of helpful, kind, informative and mature players.
Stop trolling in your write-ups please.

The majority of games you do 'impressions' of you say the same thing... People were helpful to you, partied with you and showed you the ropes.
Some gave you game currency or items to help you out. You ever stop to think this is because you're a 'game journalist' more than the kindness of the community?

You never really go incognito when trying these games out. You use your personal name for your character and it comes across to me as some kind of badge that most of the time bypasses a lot of what a normal player would encounter starting out in the same game. How about you try playing these games as an average player... not Beau Hindman, blogger for massively.joystiq.com.

"I'm not a tough guy, but the first thing I want to do when someone wishes ill on one of my first impressions is to reach through the screen and punch his lights out."

Says a lot about your character. So, you're a small angry man.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 3:09PM Beau Hindman said

• 1 heart
@milk steak I've explained why I make myself known several times. Please keep any insults to yourself, though.

Beau

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 2:56PM The Grand Nagus said

Slightly off topic, why are some of the comments almost whited out?

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 3:07PM darrenkitlor said

@The Grand Nagus Comments can be voted up or down, (see +/0). The less helpful a comment is, the more people will vote it down.

This is how it works in theory.

In practice, it mostly works like that with a degree of fandom influencing the votes.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 3:14PM Rhazes said

I Beta tested STO and just went back this week after seeing it on sale for $2.50 on Amazon which includes 30 free days. The game is fun it just has some things that really upset me and make me quickly log off.

The radar/tricorder/scan system. Its useless and my fishing radar is century's ahead in technology for some reason which is nothing like the show. In Star Trek they always whip out the tricorders to find stuff they didn't walk around looking for it.

The anomalies/crafting system. I don't want to scan pink clickies for crafting mats. I want to actually mine them like in Eve online who did this right 6 years ago.

No shared bank account or way to transfer items to alternate characters like mailing. For a new MMO this is just uncalled for. Now there is several ways to get around this but they require risk and help from someone else.

Separate difficulty settings for Space and ground. I love my space combat on elite and my ground on normal or advanced. On Elite my character and team mates are constantly one shot and in some cases all at once it becomes very expensive because your characters rack up injuries fast on elite missions.

Other than those things which drive me bonkers I'm enjoying my month of STO @ $2.50.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 3:40PM chum said

@Rhazes You can mail items to yourself, just send it to @whateveryournameis You have to use a mailing terminal to send items though, took me a few minutes to figure that out myself. Happy to erase one of your annoyances.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 4:37PM Rhazes said

@chum

Thank you, I'll try this is out. I've seen forum posts offering this and people in game saying you can't.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 4:12PM milk steak said

• Half a heart
@Beau Hindman

Oh... why do you feel it is necessary to make yourself known? Doesn't it skew your impressions of the game and community?

"Please keep any insults to yourself, though. "

Not and insult... an observation, a impression, and opinion.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 4:43PM DraneceusRex said

So I'm glad you enjoyed your time for the most part.

FYI a tweeked ground combat system will be the next major overhaul the game is getting.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 5:26PM Severius said

The only thing that keeps me from re-subbing to this game is the ground combat. If there was a way to never ever have to deal with ground combat I would be all over this :)

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 5:31PM Daala said

Nice article man!

Been playing STO since day 1.
And this game is just getting better.
Can't wait for the ground combat update :D

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 5:50PM Ryn said

Look, I appreciate Beau's reflections on the games he tries. He puts his handle out there so you can follow along and interact with him. No harm there. And yes because of that people will help him out and maybe be a little more friendly that usual. Of course that will happen in any game you have friends in. People know Beau through his writing.

Massively focuses on the positive. They do point out the negative but unlike other sites they don't give last rights to a game title. Again, nothing wrong with that. I don't want to read a blog that is hateful negative, and thats why I read massively.

Beau has been a great addition to the staff. Absolutely no doubt about it. Calling it like it is. I still have no idea why some people that read Massively feel like they have to be so vicious. Amazing.

Keep up the good work Beau.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 6:34PM Beau Hindman said

@Ryn Hey thanks, man! I try.

The thing is that I simply report on my experiences. I do not look for anything in particular, and haven't always let players know who I was (as can be seen in past Rise and Shinys, other columns and other first impression articles.) I think that all someone would have to do is read some of my other articles to see that I am anything but wishy-washy or overly kind to any game, unless I loved it.

Check out Pandora Saga's R & S! hehe

Beau

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 7:47PM TheGreatMachine said

@Ryn I still have no idea why some people that read Massively feel like they have to be so vicious. Amazing.

Maybe they run out of threads over at mmorpg.com to post their cliche hate-on memes.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 9:58PM Ryn said

@Beau Hindman You are welcome!

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 6:48PM Rnor6084 said

Can someone explain to me why a person feels it necessary to come on this site and viciously attack someone for actually liking a game that said person does not? Are we not entitled to our own opinions?

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 7:44PM TheGreatMachine said

@Rnor6084 Or rate down perfectly reasonable comments that they disagree with for that matter.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 7:42PM TheGreatMachine said

I had pretty much the same experience with STO. I hated it at release but after picking it up on sale, it's become one of those games I'll sub to for a month here and there.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 8:12PM Purkit said

@TheGreatMachine Same here. Disliked it in beta. Bought it on sale over the holidays and was surprised to find myself having fun. It still has issues, but I can live with the bugs and the dodgy design choices because I'm enjoying the good parts. That's not to say I wouldn't like Cryptic to fix the many bugs left from launch.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 10:45PM Tezcatli said

I took advantage of Amazon's sale. Not even the $5 deluxe version, the $2.50 regular version. Since I'm a gaming hobo. I didn't touch it for three days, just because I'd rather play wow. But then I had an attack and hurt my back. So I started playing it. Just 5 minutes ago I got Lieutenant Commander.

I enjoy the game to a degree so far. But it definitely feels grindy. Hopefully it gets more interesting. If you can get it for a deal, give a shot, it just might be up your alley :p