Posted: Jan 9th 2011 4:46AM Zuljundwumn said

After War, Aoc, champions, and Spellborn, I said "I'll never buy another MMO at launch". I almost failed to keep that promise when I showed interest in FFIV, but thank god I didn't bought it. But seeing the disaster that it is, after all this good press around it before launch...

Today, I think I consider the launch of a title nothing more than the true open beta. Most games are really complete a year or so after their release. the truth is, when a dev is faced with thousands of angry customers, they HAVE to make change, and fast. Before the release, they just think "oh well, it's half complete, but we're gonna sell a lot of boxes, so who cares for now?"

The industry have taken a really bad habit, that's why I'm sticking to old mmos.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 8:53AM Yellowdancer said

@Zuljundwumn

This is definitely not a buy on day 1 for everyone. There were things broken at the end of beta. Not incomplete or content lacking but "This does not work and I rage quit broke". They said they would fix them for launch but you know that that goes...fix 1 thing, break 10.

The only way I will invest in this game is to buy a lifetime...I can't afford that till next week. So I'll wait and see how the first couple of weeks go. If it goes well, then I will buy it. If not, I'll buy RIFT in a couple weeks.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 8:10AM Faryon said

I can't wait to dive back in the game on tuesday! Going to try and release some instance runthroughs and maybe some other stuff over on youtube.com/zearanified if anyone is interested. Hope to see some of you ingame :)

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 10:57AM Heraclea said

The no. 1 flaw of the game in beta was its failure to explain its systems to the player. You can make a lot better "inspired by Superman / Wonder Woman / Batman" costume in the creator by editing it yourself and choosing where the colors appear on the pieces. Nothing showed me how, though. I had to figure it out myself.

Likewise, I did not know which power set to take if I wanted to tank or heal. Nothing told me you couldn't make a Mental tank.

Right now I don't know how many servers there will be, or if there will be a RP-PVE server, or how many character slots we get on live. My impression is that at least for 1-20 they have plenty of content, unlike Champions, but ONLY if they don't slow down the levelling pace and let you roll plenty of alts.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 11:51AM Lenn said

@Heraclea The descriptions of the powersets clearly state what role they fill.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 10:55PM Protoavis said

@Lenn

was just about to say the same thing

The first thing in the power selection boxes on the right side of the screen when viewing the powers at creation was something like "Ice: Tank", "Plant: Healing", "Mental: Controller", etc. Either way that bit was fairly clearly pointed out if you read the power descriptions.

Most other gameplay features lacked serious info though, the individual power descriptions are pretty basic, don't mention their DPS, the amount healed, range, the fact the stuns only work on a target twice before they are resistant to it for several seconds, etc Power selection was really a lot of trial and error and required a lot of respeccing your character when you got a power that read well but was a total dud (like Mass Levitation, the first levitation being long range which works good for the controller nature of the mental powerset vs mass levitation being closs range and pretty ineffective and functioned nothing like levitation, the description didn't mention that at all though). Also being able to change from the DPS role to the other role never seemed to get mentioned at all when you hit level 10 (think that's the level you can change roles, why not straight away I dunno, I know some of the first nature powers are "meh" in the DPS role but awesome in the healer role which would make those first few levels a lot more fun)

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 4:10PM ZachDude said

I've been waiting for this moment, probably won't have the game for a while still though. Phone busted and had to get a new one.... all $$ going to that right now... Ugh...

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 6:08PM blakerefuge said

As a Champions Online lifetime subscriber who held off of pre-ordering DCUO after playing beta, I'll be watching this column closely. I hope the game offers Champs some healthy competition, and I wish both games the best.

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 3:00AM twittergr8scott said

whats the best books to read for background?

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 4:49AM mmobob said

free MMORPG. MMORPG-BOB.COM we separate the wheat from the chaff!

Posted: Jan 20th 2011 4:50AM mmobob said