Posted: Jan 6th 2011 10:53AM Harley Dude said

Seriously...if you don't like PvE, why are you playing RPGs? Wouldn't FPSs where you can skip all the PvE and get right to the PvP be a better choice?

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 11:12AM Djinn said

@Harley Dude

THIS - I was almost going to write this exact thing when I read yours. So many people don't like PvE at all - then why play a RPG? That's like saying you don't like fast food but insist on eating at McDonalds. Kinda nonsensical...

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 5:37PM stealthrider said

@Djinn

Because of the character development? The immersive world? The open-world nature of (most) MMOs?

MMOs are more than just PvE games. They cater to a whole host of different playstyles, all of whom are equally important.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 11:48AM Titan1 said

I would say PvE is "bad" and I don't like it.
It is MMORPG PvE that has a serious design issue that developers can not seem to overcome.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 12:04PM Titan1 said

@Titan1
oops "wouldn't say" not would

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 6:39PM cored said

I look at PvE mostly as 1. a training tool to work out abilities and combos to use in PvP, 2. a story-telling, lore game element, and 3. something to do when PvP is for some reason unavailable.

So I like PvE...when it is engaging, has a good story, and leads to sweet, chewy PvP goodness.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 7:29PM clik said

I would like MMO-PvE if it weren't such a brain dead activity. Single Player RPG's provide way better dungeon crawling, big boss killing than MMO's. Though raiding can be fun if you have that sort of time to invest, which I don't anymore.

MMOs are so much more than just grinding gear off of AI. I've been a pvp/social mmo gamer since the days of Ultima Online. Fighting other people of a different faction or guild is just as much an MMO experience than killing a dragon.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 8:14PM Valdamar said

PvE can get boring and repetitive, but mostly I find it quite relaxing and therapeutic - which after a hard stressful day is usually more appealing to me than PvP - more cooperative than competitive play.

That doesn't mean I want my PvE to be easy - sure, I don't mind butchering my way through a few waves of minions without too much trouble (to lull me into a false sense of security), but I want some minions or bosses mixed in that will force me to react to what they do or lose, and I want to have to plan my attacks tactically, based on how spawns patrol around and which mobs are in a spawn (i.e. situational awareness and target prioritisation before/during combat should be as important as the order of what skills you use during combat).

Sadly most PvE, especially PvE raiding, is by rote - carry out the same sequence of keypresses until the mob is dead - and that's the kind of PvE I am starting to dislike. On the whole though I like MMO PvE more than MMO PvP.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 11:48PM cray said