Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:40PM DancingCow said

I know it's all opinion but I am surprised by all the votes for Turbine as best studio of the decade.

"Turbine stood toe-to-toe with the big boys as an independent studio for the better part of the decade and produced several incredible titles. But above the studio's commercial success..."

They took the two biggest fantasy IPs in the West - Lord of the Rings and Dungeons and Dragons, and made one ok and one terrible game, both of which massively underperformed.

Trying to claim that they were a commercial success is indicative of being horribly out of touch with reality.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:01PM Jeremy G said

@DancingCow LotRO and DDO subs are soaring. Just because you don't like the games doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of other people don't. So, I have to disagree with your statement that the writers are "horribly out of touch with reality."

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:50PM Interitus said

@DancingCow

Turbine screwed up when it took me as a lifetime subscriber, went free to play. Gave me an allowance of 700 turbine points and said okay 900 turbine points to change your name, 1200 for this horse and we're making lots of this content that we were asking other people to pay for free. But hey, at least I only have to wait 2 months to be able to afford a horse on one character.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 10:10PM Brendan Drain said

@DancingCow Personally, I voted for Turbine for one single reason. In a market largely dominated by companies clinging to only proven business models, Turbine dared to experiment in ways that had not been fully tested. They mixed a good dose of common sense and created a thriving hybrid subscription model which then completely turned around DDO. Although I think CCP Games has been a better studio in interactions with its playerbase, Turbine seriously needs to be congratulated for not being afraid to experiment with an established and proven business model.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 1:07AM Vagrant Zero said

@DancingCow

Lotro is probably the second strongest MMO (in terms of revenue) in the West and that's somehow not a success to you?

Put the crack pipe down.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:47PM Lenn said

I'm frankly stumped that anyone could consider LotRO's to be the worst.soundtrack.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:51PM Jolie said

@Lenn I agree. Lotro has one of the best game soundtracks i've heard.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:57PM juanele said

@Lenn

I'm not a fan of LotRO's soundtrack but its hardly the worst.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:44PM mmogaddict said

@Jolie
It's ok, but BEST soundtrack is easily won by Age of Conan. Hell I quit that game after a few months and haven't played in like 12~18 months and I STILL load the soundtrack CD into my cars sound system.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:48PM Lewa said

Lol'd a good bit at some of those. I don't play EVE but I remember hearing about that money thing. Funny.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:53PM Kroktar said

Why is global agenda on MMO list?

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:47PM mmogaddict said

@Tempes Magus
The only thing is that GA battlesizes are actualy quite small.
Planetside or WW2Online both counted as MMOG, I think however that GA is a bit iffy.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 11:36PM Kroktar said

@Tempes Magus Well let's back to MMO

MMO from Wowwiki is: A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.

One persistent world wich isnt instanced or Room based...GA is full instanced or Room based...and they just gave us a bad open world and Warzones arent coming yet 64vs64 or it was 32vs32 i dont remember...

The best example of this is Guild Wars...Guild wars is just like GA in some ways... Even developers know this and they say "Guild Wars isnt a MMO is a Competitive Online Role-Playing Game CORP"

ArenaNet is awesome they dont lie to themselves, they just said its a CORP game but GW2 will be a true MMO.

I play Global Agenda, but to be a full MMO it need a lot of more features Even face of mankind can hold up more players...If you take off all the "Open World" and PvE and Crafting and other things is just like Team Fortress wich isnt a MMOFPS.

btw I hope EarthRise will be good :D sorry for my bad grammar english isnt my native language.

MMOFPS Rocks :D

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 5:17AM alinos said

@Kroktar

yup let Wowwiki Define What an MMO is

personally a MMO to me is anything with a persistant community that is larger than a single 24 man FPS server

you may call GW a CoRPG and not an MMO but there have been few times in an MMO where i have been in a party that wasn't in an instance. because most of them are single player games with raids with other people

the only other time i grouped was when someone was kind enough to actually invite me before killing the same local boss i was after so i didn't have to sit and wait for respawn.

in a way to me GW is a more forced MMO than anything else because while you can play it by yourself it is always more beneficial to be with someone else the same cannot be sad for alot of others

not sure why persistance is a pre req either seeing as it's Massively multiplayer online not Massively persistant multiplayer online

Posted: Jan 10th 2011 10:29PM Xilmar said

@Kroktar

roflmao

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

dude did u actually start your post with a quote from wowwiki? really? so basically you're building your arguments on the premise that wowwiki is 100% correct.

didn't read your post, just wanted to thank you for the RL lol. i've had people quoting wikipedia before, but this is the first time someone's quoted wowwiki. +1 internetz for you, good sir, you made my day hahahaha.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:57PM Nenene said

"Best MMO of 2010
Eliot Lefebvre: Final Fantasy XIV"

This is a joke, right?

PLEASE tell me this is a joke.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:04PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Nenene

This site is becoming a joke..........

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:05PM Syesta said

@Nenene Don't get your panties in a wad over one man's opinion...

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:29PM Ocho said

@Nenene

For maybe the same reason MMO of the decade, Hello Kitty Online got a vote. :)

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 7:16PM Nenene said

@Ocho
Hello Kitty Online PvP is legendary, of course.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014