Posted: Jan 5th 2011 10:37AM The Protagonist said

Best of luck with the new column, the game certainly deserves its own column as I'm sure it will elicit quite a bit of discussion among its fans and detractors.

Personally I like the game but can agree with people saying it is not original and a lot like other games in the genre. Thats not a problem for me at all as I was actively looking for a game a bit like WoW but not WoW so am looking forward to it.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 11:22AM Branded Alive said

@The Protagonist

That's literally what I've been hoping for. A game that's slightly like WoW, and slightly like WAR. I think that RIFT fit in that place nicely.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 11:46AM Suet said

Do we know what end game will consist of yet? If it's same old dungeons and mickey mouse battlegrounds I might as well stick with WoW however if it's based around the rifts I'd be much more interested.

I actually liked that the first 20 levels were so WoW like. I didn't last 30 minutes in DCUO - it was just too different to what I'm used to.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 12:16PM redsolar said

@Suet
I've heard on one of their videos that the dungeons are dynamic but that was in reference to character level. So, if you go into a dungeon at a lower level, expect it to be different when go in at end game level. I'm not sure if there is any additional dynamics after that point, though. They've promised to keep the end gamers happy. Here are some links I found that I haven't read much into, yet. Maybe it will be of some usefulness.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:26PM Alchemda said

@Suet

They have Rift RAIDS, 10 or 20 man rift raids.. just imagine that..
They have 3 Raids in 10 or 20 man
They have 10 Expert level dungeons redone to be lvl 50
They have warfronts (battlegrounds)
They will have high end zone wide events in the lvl 50 zones.. think 20 rifts opening up spewing forth monsters and raid mobs and everything like that

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:39PM Valentina said

Yeah I do believe that dungeons will have a dynamic aspect to them, and Rifts get more epic as you get into the higher levels and will definitely be a part of the end game.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 3:48PM DannyKay said

I think I read that the dungeons can also be done as a 10 man raid on the expert difficulty, so even more mini-raids if thats the way it works.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 4:42PM gamebynight said

Best of luck with the new column. I love your Road to Mordor series, so I'm happy they got you to take on this project. Very much looking forward to what's to come :-)

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:06PM (Unverified) said

/clap on the new RIFT articles....

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 7:12PM Anax said

A lot of people say that Rift is a lot like other games, as though this is a bad thing. I think there's a big difference between being "conventional" and being "derivative". Every year, millions of Americans tune in to watch the Superbowl. Every four years, even more people tune in for the World Cup. Every time either of those events is played, its the same rules, the same equipment used, the same configuration of the venue, and generally the same style of coverage. The Superbowl and the World Cup are highly conventional events. What changes are the teams, the people involved, and the superficial presentation.

I see RIft in this same light. Sure, it has many similar features to previous MMOs. I'm *happy* about that. I *liked* those previous MMOs. But I'm ready to see those same conventions presented in a new form: new talents, new skill trees, new vistas, a mix of new and old races, new dungeons, and, hopefully, new friends. In the same way that it would be dull to see the same two teams face off in the World Cup in the same city, with the same fans and the same announcers, year after year, it gets dull to play the same MMO for years. But that doesn't mean that the conventions of the genre are exhausted, that it can't be made new again.

Rift looks really fun to me, in part *because* it's conventional.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 9:38PM Morreion said

Looking forward to the Rift column!

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 10:14PM esloan said

Thanks for the shout out to HorRIFTic Intentions! I haven't updated it as much as I would like because of the holidays but those are over! Expect a lot more posts as time goes on, starting with tonight!

I really look forward to Rift. It is shaping up to be a great game and I absolutely love Trion. They are the best, most attentive developer team I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with!

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 4:02AM NunyaBizness said

What, Jef Reahard isn't writing this column?

Posted: Jan 7th 2011 6:15PM YogiFYG said

Sorry this took so long for me to notice. Thanks for the outstanding shout out to us at Rift Watchers. Means a lot.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 10:10AM Arithion said

Just wanted to say thank you for the great shout out to The RIFT podcast team. We truly appreciate it and are looking forward to the game - especially after this fourth beta weekend.

Posted: Jan 12th 2011 9:39AM ployer said

I am super excited about Rifts, got to play in the beta last week and it was pretty great.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2011 9:20PM marzatplay said

Justin...you forgot to include www.RIFTNation.com :-/

Why I Play: ArcheAge