Posted: Jan 5th 2011 6:40PM Shazzie said

I have been playing CoX off and on since CoH beta. I love CoH, love CoV even more, I just never completely commit to it...
...but reading this makes me want to play my Brutes SO BAD. So, yeah, it's been a couple months, I think it's time to put on the tights again. I need some of that rush of 'can't stop Fury dropping can't stop can't stop'!

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 11:59PM JFink said

Nice article. Brutes are one of my favorite ATs, I think I have like 10 of them. Just wanted to add some things as well.

First is that Brutes have the highest Damage cap in the game with 775%. Much higher than Blaster, Corruptor, Scrapper, and Stalker's cap of 500% and 400% for everyone else.

Secondly, with the Kinetic Melee powerset, Concentrated Strike works much differently than the Scrapper and Stalker versions. In those two ATs, if it would Critical, then it would recharge itself or Build Up instantly. Obviously since Brutes don't have Crits, it doesn't work that way.

A Super Strength/ Willpower brute is a very powerful combination and just a beast to play. Energy Aura, I'm not as a big a fan of as you seem to be, I find it kinda squishy for a secondary and the Self Heal you get not only comes late, it's not very effective either.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 1:01AM Jeromai said

HULK SMASH

Oddly, I don't have a level 50 brute yet, as much as I like melee classes. Or a scrapper. Wonder why my attention slips away from them mid 30s and 40s.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 12:38PM Daemodand said

To be more precise, making attacks and being attacked is what builds Fury. It doesn't matter if those attacks hit or miss, do damage or no damage.

Rage isn't a situational power. It's a power you have up 100% of the time (and 200%-300% of the time if you can manage it). The crash is really very minor, and the set gives you (the much maligned) Hand Clap to cover you if you find the Rage crash endangering you. Hand Clap is a far better power than most realize.

When my INV/SS Tanker is taking on Smash/Lethal heavy opponents, my attention can wander from the game. Zero chance of them defeating me combined with a relatively slow kill speed makes for a pretty boring mission. Not so with a SS/INV Brute. He isn't in much danger of being defeated by S/L damage either, but there is more of a chance however slim, and the Fury mini-game demands your attention and the fast kill speed keeps the boredom away.

It would have been nice if you could have covered the recent changes to Fury. I think, even though it irks me as a Brute player, the change was for the best as Brutes were stepping on Scrappers' toes a bit too much. Brutes' damage and survivability are much better balanced now, even if high-end Brute players like myself will never see Fury of 85+ on a regular basis again (outside of the Frenzy alignment power...and I do love Frenzy).

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 7:39PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Daemodand The main reason I didn't cover the changes too much were twofold. First, I didn't want to harp on them as being unfair or even unnecessary, since Scrappers and Stalkers really did need the love to stay competitive. (I had a column way back when that said over time, the straight boost of a Brute would do better long-term damage than the Scrapper's crits. Myth confirmed!) And it's not like they're crippling, they just force the Brute to keep moving a bit more and takes the archetype down to normal levels.

The second reason? Honestly, I haven't noticed a huge change in performance before or after. Take from that what you will, I may very well just have not quite gotten the proper motivation or mindset until after the changes.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 4:48PM Valdamar said

Brutes are awesome - five of my eighteen L50s are Brutes - I haven't got more than 2 L50s from any other single archetype, so clearly I must love Brutes.

Admittedly I prefer villain-side (all my current L50s hit the cap pre-Going Rogue and fourteen of them were from archetypes that were villain-only back then) - but even now I can play any archetype on any side I would still prefer to have the consistent damage I can get from Brute Fury (especially when making a solo character) over the somewhat spiky damage Scrappers get from critical hits (the RNG hates me - my crits always seem to happen on the last killing strike against a mob, when it doesn't really matter).

That said, I find the biggest downside to Brutes is if you get onto a slow team that dawdles between spawns so that all your Fury bleeds away (even worse on a map where the spawns are widely spaced) - in those situations a Scrapper or especially a Stalker (much higher crit rate in teams) is better - admittedly if your Brute is built to be survivable enough you can just leave the team behind, keep charging ahead and hope they'll take the hint and catch up :p In teams without a Tanker (and they seem pretty rare nowadays on my server) you'd likely be setting the pace and taking alpha strikes for the team anyway (when every enemy in a spawn fires at the first player to aggro them), so they should want to follow you.

While I don't really play any of my Brutes at L50 (about the only thing I do play much at L50 are my Bane/Crab Spider, my Fortunata/Night-Widow and my Archery/En Blaster), I did have a really fun time getting to L50 with each and every one of my Brutes - and I wouldn't hesitate to play more Brutes for that reason - especially now that the Stamina power is inherent, so that you can take more attacks at lower levels and endurance issues shouldn't be as bad before L20.

Most Brute powerset combos work well together - mine are:
Axe/Willpower (probably the most powerful and easy to play of all my brutes),
Mace/Super-Reflexes (end-hog early on, godlike at later levels if soft-capped),
Energy/Electric (fun solo, lacking in groups - great vs single targets), Fire/Fire (can be squishy without team buffs, awesome area damage)
Super-Strength/Dark (great all-rounder, very survivable, no weaknesses)

Admittedly I adore Dominators, Controllers, Blasters and Corruptors too - and I'd like to get an L50 Tanker, Defender or Peacebringer this year as they're the only 3 archetypes I've never got to the level cap - but as soon as I have time I'll be making another Brute - I'm hopeful that this will be the year that the Martial Arts, Broadsword and/or Spines powersets get proliferated to Brutes as I've only dabbled with those sets at low level on Scrappers and I would love to play any of them on a Brute.

Posted: Jan 7th 2011 1:13AM Kentung said

I loved how the game originally built in this animosity between the Brutes (Go Faster!) and the Master Minds (Wait, I have to do one more thing!). The villain team was systematically set up to not work as smoothly as the hero teams.

The Daily Grind: Which MMO has the best economy?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 8:00AM