Posted: Jan 7th 2011 4:35AM Haldurson said

I don't understand why people are saying that the commercial is 'badmouthing WoW'. Did you actually watch the same video that I did? All it's doing is what they've been doing all along, and that's saying that Rifts is DIFFERENT from WoW. That's what the phrase "We're not in Azeroth anymore" means.

I'm sorry, but as someone who has played in one of the betas, I have to say that while, yes, the general concepts are not original, Rifts uses those concepts in new ways. Heck, that's exactly what WoW did when it came out -- used ideas that already existed in games like EQ, Diablo, etc. in new ways.

ALL INNOVATION is built on the framework of what came before. There IS innovation in Rifts. The problem is if you only focus on the parts that are the same, you'll miss the parts that are not.

Honestly, I have NEVER seen the scope of Rifts 'rift' events in any other game. Considering that there was so little lag during those rift events is an accomplishment in itself. That IS innovation. Also, the rifts can open virtually ANYWHERE at any time, and you can even have two or more open up very close to each other.. Tell me another game that does anything similar. The closest thing that I've seen to this was Tabula Rasa's base invasions, and even they were restricted to specific locations and times. And you'd NEVER have a base being attacked by two or more separate, and opposing invasion forces at the same time. That's completely original, as far as I know.

I'm not saying that Rifts is COMPLETELY original, only that you can't just focus on the parts that are unoriginal and then claim that there's nothing original in the game.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 10:39PM Purplekitti said

@Haldurson

And all throughout this post, you refer to the game in question as "Rifts" when it is in fact "Rift"...

Hmm. Failure on the baseline there?

Posted: Jan 7th 2011 7:49PM SkuzBukit said

Well, one thing you can totally count on is 11million WoW fans getting to hear about this game now, isn't that, as a marketing ploy at least, worth some crap? after all they'll get crap regardless, may as well run with it.

Posted: Jan 8th 2011 2:55PM Poordevil said

@SkuzBukit Yea I kinda agree. Why not stir up that wasps nest and get them aware of your game? Besides the poke isn't very hostile, really. It is only stating there is an option in the MMO realm, check it out.

Any scuttle but from the WoW players won't do any harm unless the game can't stand on its own. And you can't be shy about going up against WoW. Any successful MMO needs to draw some subs from Blizzard, their market share is just too vast. Besides, if you don't believe your game can best WoW why even bother putting it out there?

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 9:36AM Tyrrax said

It's not like Blizzard never did this. They took a similar shot at SOE in some magazine ads saying "No thanks, I'd rather kill rats.

That aside, only an idiot could be impressed with what is obviously FMV footage. Give me gameplay footage or GTFO.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 9:37AM (Unverified) said

reminds me of Pepsi/Coke ads
Pepsi ads are all "We're not Coke!"
Coke's are "We're Coke"
bigger market share: Coke.

(rule #1 in advertising/marketing: Don't mention your competition by name)

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 10:48AM Res said

@(Unverified) It's different when Pepsi and Coke are both so huge though. For most WoW players this is the first time they've heard of Rift, and if they hadn't taken that shot in the trailer most of them never would have.

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 12:10PM AK4T7 said

@(Unverified)

I think that rule gets dismised when you are the underdog trying to make a name for yourself. >

Posted: Jan 11th 2011 11:53AM AK4T7 said

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. Whether it be positive or negative attention they marketing still got the job done by attracting attention none the less. The more free exposure they get in the public eye, especially against one of the giants of the gaming industry is enough to warrant a peak by many consumers.

Posted: Jan 28th 2011 10:42PM Purplekitti said

It's pretty sad when you need to resort to mentioning your main competitor in your advertisement.

Especially as this is not (in my opinion) going to make even a dent in the subscriber numbers for WoW.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014