Posted: Jan 4th 2011 1:52PM Zantom said

• Half a heart
I'm not sure about this one. I jumped into one of the beta events and only played for 10 min or so and I was just not impressed enough to continue. Maybe I'll give it another look in the future, but there are just too many MMOs right now I am interested in...

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:27PM Utakata said

@Zantom

...so you're judging a game on 10 minuts of game play?

Oh, (Unverified) already beat me to it. :(

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 8:37PM Pagan said

@Zantom You need to play past level 10 and the game really starts to separate itself from the pack.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:34PM Zantom said

I understand the flames... maybe it was the mood I was in. Either way it is good to be an MMO consumer these days :) lots of options...

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:50AM Poohbum said

• Half a heart
@Zantom Ignore them, they are just angry about their hyped game sucking.

It honestly doesn't get better beyond the first ten minutes. There are a few 'oh yeh' moments but generally it is generic trash that beyond this point cannot be fixed. Even the best bits have their major downsides. Class system = uber overpowered and underpowered combos which are already evident.... Rifts = everything else in our game is shallow so here are some random events that are in themselves controlled around our shallow combat (if the core is rotten, there is no fixing it).

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 1:57PM Nyan said

That concept image is lovely.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

Zantom, you played it for 10 minutes. How can you sit down with an MMORPG for 10 minutes and come out impressed. Most games that I have played weren't that impressive in the first 10 minutes. I had to invest a little more time than that.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:17PM Arkanaloth said

@(Unverified)

it's possible to have a good hook into a game very fast.. I fired up Vindictus for the first time and was hooked within the first few moments of combat. Weather or not 10 min is a fair assessment for something as vast as Rift is certainly a topic of debate, but it is possible to get very into a game in under 10 minutes for some people.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 5:29PM Valdamar said

@Arkanaloth

Vindictus doesn't have much character creation though, does it? You basically pick one of a couple of pre-existing characters and then it's straight into an MMO version of Power Stone. I can see how you'd be entertained in 10 minutes by that - anyone would be.

After 10 minutes in Rift you'd barely have got out of character creation - that's probably what Zantom got bored of :p

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 5:59PM Distaste said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

I've played in 3 RIFT beta and the game simply isn't for me. It's WoW clone through and through. The RIFTS offer nothing new over WAR besides it being a random spot on the map to kill things. The 3 class system is very dumbed down and boring as well as lacking points so you can really expand into other classes without gimping yourself. The combat is mindless and requires no thought.

Basically, if you're looking for a good WoW clone or have never played WoW then this is the game for you. If you've played any other MMO then this game represents 2-3 months of play at best.

Sad for Trion but they picked the WoW clone route and now have to deal with the consequences. I wish I could see this game making $50 mill but I don't.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:19PM Sean D said

@(Unverified)

If a game, any game, *doesn't* hook you in the first ten minutes, I advise that you give it up. It makes little sense to push through content you don't enjoy in hopes that you'll reach content you do enjoy, which you likely won't, and it's a poor quality game that needs to sell itself on such a notion. The base mechanics of a game don't change as you advance your character and if you're bored at the beginning (the part of any adventure that is arguably the most exciting), odds are you'll be bored no matter your level.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:02AM Graill440 said

@Distaste

Your a regular on the Rift forums, you have played 3 betas, your on nearly every popular rift thread....my next question is obvious with your wow verse the world musings....why?

Oh...i see, your a closet Rift fanatic, you say you love wow, at least you compare every other game to it and yet after looking over your shoulder in guilt you still come back around to Rift....C'mon you pre-ordered the digital collectors edition today didnt you....dont hide it! You can taste it...its speaking to you....

This moment of comical insanity is brought to you by me.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:04PM Thasri said

Yea......It's coming out right before SW:TOR, so I'm not going to invest time in a game I'm not going to play after TOR comes out. The game it's self is good, over all performance isn't all that good but that could be a result of beta testing and background bug filters running on the server. I'm sure fps will get better once they settle on a final release build.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 3:15PM Petter M said

@Thasri TOR will be released at some point after April. That's not to say that it will absolutely not be released in April, but there's nothing that points to Rift being out "right before". Unless you mean "right before" as "at some point during the year that TOR probably comes out". :P

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:06PM Randomessa said

That's the first release date I've seen in a while that didn't make me say, "oh, dear, how are they gonna do that?"

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:07PM Lobotomist said

I am in beta. And I know I will play it. So now I am considering preorder because of reduced subscription prices. Any faq on that ?

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:10PM Korvix said

Just got do Pre-Ordering the Digital Collectors Edition. I hate waiting on boxes to some in the mail or having to go out of my way to pick them up at the store (I drive around enough at work). Plus I dont really 'need' anything in the box.

Fun game; sure ill get a few months out of it. If you have some friends and you are looking for a solid MMO to spend some time with defiantly check this game out.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:11PM Korvix said

@Korvix

Done*

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:12PM Dril said

Too late. Feb the 28th? What am I to do for 2 months? Sure, I could get burnt out on the beta...but..

GAH. As long as a quality product ships, I'll accept it. But I'm quite ready to FINALLY stop playing WoW.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:18PM Arkanaloth said

I'm going to patiently keep an eye on this one. If a chance for a beta slot opens up I might try it but I'm already in another beta so I doubt I'd have time to devote to two and give proper feedback to either... so odds are I'll just keep an eye on articles here and see how Rift comes out at launch. It's certainly an interesting concept though.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014