Posted: Jan 4th 2011 9:12AM Pewpdaddy said

This release is getting more and more anticlimactic for me. We'll see what it does at launch. Either way good luck to the folks at Trion. They seem to be one of the few studios who listen to their users.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 9:28AM TheSinisterOne said

It looks prettier than the other 2 instances I've been through so far. I'll have to check this one out this weekend.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 11:17AM Vegetta said

Hmm I wonder what the corresponding Defiant Instance will be like.

Cant wait for this weekend - Will be nice to have some pvp.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 1:29PM yeppers said

I hope this isn't going to be another STO in the way the screenshots look fantastic but don't really reflect the actual gameplay.

In my experience during the beta, you need a computer that goes beyond the "recommended" settings in order to get a decent amount of FPS under high or ultra video settings. Even though I had a game that was above the basic settings and "mostly" matched the recommended settings, I had to run the game in the min video settings (8800gts vid card) most of the time to get above 15 FPS. However, whenever I found an interesting area, I would stop and pop the vid settings into Ultra to look at what I was missing. Beautiful game (IMO) if they can up the performance on mid-range computers.

Also, at this point, replayability is going to fall way behind WoW's. There is only one starting experience for each of the 2 factions -- WoW has a somewhat unique starting experience for each of the races.

I really hope they're successful with this game -- it was one I was really looking forward to.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 4:45PM Doba said

@yeppers Here we go again, Comparing it too WoW... And your FPS is not Trion's fault its yours.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 5:49PM Daelen said

@Doba
No it is Trion's fault and problem since we, the gamers, have other options. The engine used has lot of room for improvement. In fact, since Beta 1, the engine is 100% faster than it was but still way behind AoC, VG, Aion, DCUO, LotRO, WAR, CO and sadly, EQ2 the king of bloated engines.

Ignoring performance, the stills are better than the gameplay so far. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm playing a hollow shell of WAR.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 6:19PM yeppers said

@Doba

Well... actually Doba, it was Trion who first compared their game to every other MMO that has been developed -- including WoW.

Regarding my system performance, since I can play pretty much every NEW game out there at MAX settings, I'll go ahead and play them instead of RIFT. I wouldn't pay money for a game (that is reminiscent of every other MMO I've played) I could only run at min/med settings -- but that's just me.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 4:54PM Magnux said

The game has a nice premise to it, but the video's I have seen leave much to be desired. My complain on that is the way the PC's move, its crappy to say the least. I like to see better fluid movement on my PC than what the video's are showing. I am probably wrong but no one else has said anything about the movement of the PC's so will have to wait for a playable version before I make a decision.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 5:51PM Daelen said

@Magnux
I can answer this for you. Movement was done by hand, ie no motion capture. So yes it does look off in some way that's not immediately obvious.