Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 8:10AM Pewpdaddy said

I dunno if I'd say I suck, but I definately have very off games and my Medic will end up with like 40k healing. I'll get off on a tangent healing some hippy who gets handily defeated then in turn defeated myself. Or a particularly organized group will do what they should do and kill the healers off. GA is fun, and it lends itself nicely to the on again off again nature of my game time.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 8:39AM asdfate said

I suck at pretty much every game I play. Eve, wow, and some games that have been sitting in plastic in my closet for the last 6 months. I don't go near pvp in wow, I can't afford to keep buying new mice:) I tell myself that if I had time to play more than 10 hours a year I might get a little better, but I probably play that rarely because I suck.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 8:48AM Alarie said

I have a bard in Everquest which I absolutely suck at pulling. Thankfully I am just casual, play with just friends, and no desire to raid or I would be fired.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 9:03AM mttgamer said

I feel that im decent at all the MMOs i play because i just PLAY a ton of varying MMOs(EvE, Aion, FFXIV, GW, ex-WoW) :/ if i played one specifically I think I would be better.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 9:13AM Tizmah said

In any MMO, I suck at tanking. Not because it's hard, but because if I'm new theres a lot of pressure on the tank. If you pull one little thing wrong, it could wipe everyone, then everyone gets pissed at you. Kind of unfair I think.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 12:21PM Noviere said

@Tizmah: Yeah, tanking is my least favorite activity in MMOs. It all goes back to EQ2 I think -- I remember one guy FLIPPING OUT at me when we wiped in Blackburrow(I think?). I re-rolled the next day.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 9:21AM The Ogre said

For MMOs, it's Guild Wars (it's impossible to suck at the other two I play, Kingdom of Loathing & Free Realms, unless you actually *try* to suck!).

From my playing pace, which doesn't mesh with any other human player I've met, to my being able to fail to meet the minimum expectations people seem to have for every profession (apparently Warriors are high-damage and very durable, Elementalists melt entire spawns in a matter of seconds, enemy casters get locked down by Mesmers, etc., etc. - but not when played by me :/) and having very little in the way of battlefield awareness and foe-identification skills (for example, apparently it's not all that hard to visually ID most of the War in Kryta White Mantle, even during the Battle for Lion's Arch, and spot the ones that are in the process of resurrecting - but not for me).

Or maybe I'm only average and have been hanging around the GWGuru forums too much...

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 10:01AM mttgamer said

@The Ogre

GW is one of the games I can do well via ONE website: www.gwpvx.com I find that that site with all the builds help me do well.

Now when it comes to dungeons(FoW,UW,DoA) stuff like that I kind of panic because its actually team oriented...

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 10:16AM The Ogre said

@mttgamer

Oh, I know PvX. Doesn't help much, really. :)

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 10:04AM Lateris said

The posting game!

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 10:11AM Ocho said

Pretty much all of them. I feel like I'm a bad MMO player as I only play when I find the time to, not the other way around like most guilds wants. I don't have a great internet connection, and I'm pretty awful at PvP, so that makes me atrocious overall. Plus, I have the habit of switching games I'm playing mid way through and then coming back and wanting to start over... so I never make any real progress. So, yeah, I love the genre... but I pretty much suck at it.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 12:11PM jpo said

@Ocho

You just described me too.
I've never made it to max level in any MMORPG.

This is why I usually solo.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 12:56PM Randomessa said

@Ocho

Yeah, me too.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 10:30AM (Unverified) said

I still attempt to PvP in EvE even though Im pretty sure i've lost more ships than I have actually destroyed :D

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 10:35AM Doba said

• Half a heart
None because this guy is all skill

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 11:05AM lionspaced said

Guild Wars. I've tried Necro but hated bombing shrines , I've gone Mesmer but my connection makes it hard to interrupt, I can't chain KDs as a warrior and I usually die as a Ritualist.

Maybe Luxon side really does suck in Competitive Missions.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 11:28AM Jeromai said

I tend to suck at aiming in FPSes, especially headshots, and especially at a latency of 200-250ms or more. Geographical location can't be helped, alas.

I try to compensate by only pretending I can snipe in singleplayer, and looking for classes and games which don't rely on pixel perfect aim on a teeny tiny hitbox of a head. Shotguns are always fun for centre of mass reflexes. Turrets that auto-aim are also handy. Or grenades that go boom when chucked in the general vicinity of people.

Surprisingly, I'm not terrible at Global Agenda. Not pro, but not terrible. 'Bout dead average. Which, if we think about it, means there are equal numbers of folk worst off, as well as better off. Not bad for just casual mucking about.

I wouldn't put too much stock in other people's opinions of suckage anyhow. Sometimes the louder they yell, the more they're trying to cover up their own ineptitude by blaming other people. Or they just have the mentality and maturity of a ten year old - "lol, u suk" is just a convenient way to put other people down and make themselves feel superior.

Most pros and vets won't bother to mix with the hoi polloi, the few that do might teach (via advice or example) and normally already expect everyone else around them to not be that great anyway.

Besides, the more you play, the better you get, through simple practice. And where MMOs are concerned, you tend to accumulate more shtuff that make you a little better.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 11:31AM Irem said

Anything remotely PvP related, even though I do my best. I do fine playing tower sniper where I have a view of the whole battlefield, but the second I see another player rushing at my face my mind goes blank and I usually just end up running around flailing my arms while they kill me. I suspect it has its roots in the same mental block that allows me to navigate with Aragorn-like precision when solo, but keeps me from finding my ass with both hands and a flashlight when in a group (stage fright is a self-fulfilling prophecy waiting to happen).

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 11:38AM (Unverified) said

Anything that is not optimal is BAD

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 12:31PM Noviere said

It's even worse when you're unsure of whether or not you suck at a game.

I often felt that way in my brief foray into PotBS... "Is this fight supposed to be taking 20 minutes?" "How did I manage to get 6 ships attacking me at once?" "Why do I have a cargo hold filled with stacks of that no one wants to buy?"

Last night in STO I had a similar moment trying a mission that involved me and a bunch of AI allies taking down a single big ship. Success seemed completely random.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM