Posted: Jan 4th 2011 12:08PM Xilmar said

@Brianna Royce

just because wow has 12+ million players doesn't make it the best. it might hold the game to a slightly higher standard, but other than that it's just a semi-random fact.

now the reason for my reply is that i got confused. were you fact checking the post, in which case the second link, third one and that comment are useless, or do you actually consider that quality and quantity are directly proportionate? tip: the second option is very, very wrong.

not picking on anything or anyone, just saying that i seriously hope you got really excited about the possibility of correcting something with the use of links, and thus want to point out that the 3.3 million copies does not actually prove anything with regards to subs. it might prove that there can, in theory, be at least about 3 million subscribers.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:45AM Grendel said

Bruhahahahahahahaha!

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 3:39PM shiningfury said

• 1 heart
I think STO is trash and Guild Wars is boring, but I'm happy that they exist to fill niches that nothing else does right now. We definitely need more sci-fi MMOs, and GW's subscription plan is perfect. Interesting poll.

Posted: Jan 9th 2011 6:39AM MyDune said

@shiningfury

. Looks like you hate everything.....you must have a lonely life.

Shiningfury
Member since: Jun 4th, 2009

.Shiningfury's Latest Comments
Blog Activity
Blog # of Comments
Massively 19 Comments

Massively's 2010 Player's Choice Awards results
Jan 4th 2011 3:39PM (Massively)

The Perfect Ten: Most controversial MMO stories of 2010
Dec 17th 2010 1:44AM (Massively)

Re: story #1 about Eve

Eve won the 'Best European Online Game' despite the "forum riots". It reinforced the notion that most gamers don't care about or read forums, and just enjoy whatever the game provides to them. They're content like sheep.
Waging WAR: Inside patch 1.4
Nov 21st 2010 3:56AM (Massively)

I believe Mythic is trying to get WAR into shape with this patch but there are some fundamental problems. Communication between the developers and the community is poor. Changes to the game are done in a sloppy, untested, rushed fashion. There are four U.S. servers but only enough players for two.

I don't know whether Mythic is hurting for management, coding talent, funds, or some combination of the three.
Lifetime subscriptions fly back to Champions Online
Nov 12th 2010 4:18PM (Massively)

An boring, unpleasant game going free-to-play wants me to pay $300 for a 'lifetime' subscription.

Thank you for the offer. I'll pass.
Bigpoint vs. BioWare: CEO says The Old Republic will never be profitable
Nov 7th 2010 9:38PM (Massively)

Return on investment shouldn't be a problem for this title. If nothing else, it will sell a huge number of boxes. Warhammer sold something like a million boxes and I'm confident in predicting that ToR will beat that number, so there's at least that much profit waiting for Bioware. As far as subscriptions go, I'm going to echo the sentiment that a high quality game published by PC gaming experts (e.g. World of Warcraft published by Blizzard) will always do well. We've just been subjected to a succession of poor titles like Warhammer, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, APB, etc.. that failed miserably to deliver high quality. Here's hoping that Bioware can finally be the company to give us something worth playing past the free first month.
The Daily Grind: What game did you spend the most time not playing?
Nov 5th 2010 3:51PM (Massively)

Eve Online. Since the game released I've probably spent weeks logged in, just docked in stations doing anything but playing.
Rumor: Blade & Soul testing postponed until 2012
Nov 5th 2010 3:48PM (Massively)

They have two years to get that woman a bra.
Undead Labs: Current MMOs are "barely even games"
Nov 3rd 2010 6:57PM (Massively)

"What if we replaced all the math with action?" he muses.

I think World of Warcraft shows that making an easy game even easier over time can be profitable. I hope I'm not alone, though, in hoping that games become more, not less, sophisticated than the current crop. I want more 'math', not less. I want more PC and less console. More thinking and less button mashing.
Zynga passes EA in estimated worth rankings
Nov 2nd 2010 12:46AM (Massively)

This crappy game, like other wildly popular crap (e.g. 'Jersey Shore, Justin Bieber) baffles me. The masses are dumb.
Forsaken World details protector class
Oct 13th 2010 3:21PM (Massively)

I don't know what the hell this game is, but that's a hilariously blatant rip of a Warhammer Online Dwarf Engineer.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 5:13PM stealthrider said

I'll say one thing about STO. It was easily the most stable launch of any MMO to date.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 7:34PM Poposhka said

Why did you (Massively) choose to go through with this article? Why did you spend energy on it? The results of your poll is clearly damaged and inaccurate by vote spamming.

Did you even think that this poll would produce meaningful results? On the Internet? on the INTERNET?

come on guys. instead of wasting energy on making those fancy colorful graphs and creating websites for voting and such, spend it on making your own article discussing the best and worst studios and games. of the decade and year.

complete.waste.of.time.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 9:35PM Jeromai said

Ok, before I even got to the second graph, I'm already boggled by your first graph and article statements not being consistent.

I quote: "...meaning the 11,820 people who voted in this one weren't really impressed with anything else in 2010. "

Yet your graph shows that all other responses are somewhere in the 2500-3000 mark. What the $#$(@ is your Y axis indicating? It's certainly not percentage, and it isn't number of votes either unless your article is incorrect.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 9:37PM Sharuk said

• 1 heart
lol really?

Sad, who the hell votes for STO?

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 11:38PM Eryxx said

Long live Tabula Rasa !!

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 1:29AM DancingCow said

As others have pointed out, Star Trek didn't do nearly as well as the author makes out.

Sure, it won for 'best launch' etc. but with the runner up in most cases being 'none of the above', that's a huge vote of no confidence in 2010's offerings.

The statistic that could have thrown real light on this would be how STO scored in Best MMO for the Decade. It's obviously so small that it's just been lumped in with 'all other responses'.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 5:35AM Katt said

Laughable poll results... the first time I've seen such agreement in a comments thread though. Well done STO players... you totally won the pol zerg.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 7:09AM Tazmanyak said

• 1 heart
Shame on sto's fanboys!
This game deserved no reward at all :/

Dont know if i want to blame massively too ... someone here cheated the votes right? :p

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 7:37AM Felconian said

• 1 heart
Well i never post but i thought i really need to say i ENJOYed the ROFL ..to see STO win this... IT was EPIC ...I really feel you need to check your IP log for voting ..because its just been proven your system SUX and can be hijacked. However ..i will be take your site less seriously from now on and rather spening my time at MMORPG.com ... ROFL ...STO ..win thoughs awards ..ROFL!

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 12:42PM RSE said

hey WoWtards. get over it, you can't win everything and ST fans were just a bit more excited about their own game this year than yours. sore losers much?

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

Err... most WoW fans are over on WoWInsider. It creates a strange situation where the most popular and beloved MMO isn't well represented in poll results here.

WoW players have plenty to be exicted about. Cataclysm is one of the best MMO expansions ever. Top three at the very least. I can only assume it wasn't in the poll because of how new it is.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:31PM grammarye said

In other news, people on the internet disagree with other people on the internet, and believe their opinion is somehow more valid than someone else's...

Sheesh, really, get over yourselves. When was the last time you actually did take a poll seriously? Really? Did it influence your opinion on any game? Did you stop posting vitriolic bile about the game you dislike just because some other people like it?

No. I didn't think so.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:43PM grammarye said

Also, in the interests of disclosure, I should state I never voted, nor would I waste my time with such. I just find it amusing how people react when they discover that *shock* there's just a chance that their opinion is not the only one out there.

There's just a chance of course that this is a massive troll from Massively, in which case it seems to have done astonishingly well. The righteous indignation that someone dares to disagree with can be felt miles away.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 8:00PM RSE said

yes, YES!! Yes Wowtards, let the butthurt flow through you!!! just QQ, a majority of the awards that STO won was for the fact it was a great launch + great first year. Last I checked WoW's been out for multiple years. Go have relations with a worgen or something.

Posted: Jan 6th 2011 7:09PM Cancrizans said

STO server stability at launch wasn't all that bad. Certainly no worse then what WoW experiences EVERY major patch, after Blizzard has had 6 years to work out the kinks and learn to patch their own game. The thing about STO is, it has DEFINITELY improved a lot in less than a year.

What is more important is the obvious fact that Cryptic plans to do a LOT more to make the game what it should be. We have to remember that Cryptic was kind of given an impossible mission, to create an MMO based on such a developed license with such a rabid and knowledgeable fanbase as Star Trek. I think some people would not have been happy after 5 years of development time.

IMO though, some of the new story missions are the most immersive quests I have played in any MMO, and the setting and attention to detail certainly draws me in a lot more than WoWs cartoony graphics, surface storytelling that breaks their own lore half the time, and worst community in the history of MMOs. I agree with the person who said WoW COULD have been great, but all it has is great sub numbers. Blizzard really doesn't give enough of a crap to make the game what it should be.

Posted: Jan 8th 2011 11:11AM Ramei Arashi said

Ignorant clod. NCSoft did not make Guild Wars (which is an MMRPG just not your style) and it isn't making Guild Wars 2. Both games made by Arenanet (Anet) not NCSoft, which is just the publisher.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014