Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:26AM Mikx said

STO's wins are not unexpected, look at the other games in contention. I like STO, but freely admit its not the greatest game ever. But greatest game of 2010? I can see that. Some real stinkers released last year.

APB, FF14, and Global Agenda clearly didnt have better launches, and they're the biggest names on the list, the only one i would say might have been in contention was lego, and that seems to have had a soft launch too.

It also clearly deserves the roleplaying award, although crafting seems a bit much. I guess ff14 took some hits for actually trying to sell the junk you make ;).

looking forward, I'm disappointed Warhammer 40k doesnt have much buzz yet. Its a long way off and we know little, but its looking pretty good. And I figure many have written off torchlight's mmo since they announced co-op torchlight 2 a while back.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:33AM Psychotic Storm said

I don't think that the none of the above in the most missed category means TR has started to fade, TR had a small community and as the pool shows most of us seem to still miss the game, a testament perhaps on how solid foundations the game had and how it may had expanded by now if they hadn't killed it when it started gaining momentum.

I would say the none of the above in this category is so big because most players didn't move on, they just never were part of these games community.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 4:24AM YogiFYG said

Did any of you actually read the poll? Or the explanations of the results? You are blaming massively for readers voting.

On second thought, get angry. Get so ignorantly mad that you leave. These comment could spare some room for intelligence, my word.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 6:51AM Victor Stillwater said

@YogiFYG

/Agrees

While I do find the polls misleading, that's not Massively's fault, so much as it's the fault of the people who voted or didn't vote, with the resulting backlash caused by people taking the poll WAAAAAAY too seriously.

Posted: Jan 5th 2011 2:05PM cic said

@YogiFYG

How about Massively not doing silly polls like these anymore? I don't see the point if all the data collected ends up being skewed and irrelevant.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 5:55AM Renko said

Funniest poll EVER! This makes it very difficult to take Massively seriously anymore.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 7:02AM emkayde said

What exactly are you guys whinning about? It's a Player's Choice Award and the players have choosen. STO was a desaster at launch but improved a lot since then. So it may not deserve some of the wins, but this poll certainly shows that STO has a very dedicated community which loves their game. And to be honest I find it quite disrespectful to complain about these results. As much as you guys love your WoW or EVE or whatever game you're playing those STO fans certainly love their game. And perhaps those fans saw this poll also as an opportunity to reward the great community work and communication that happens between the devs and the players on the STO forums. I have never ever seen a MMO where the actual Devs communicate so frequently and honest with their players like it is the case on the STO forums.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 7:09AM diamount said

Why i WAR on there? It's not F2P... yet. Very confusing poll.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:22AM Kaahn Stewart said

@diamount It is considered "Freemium" though, with its free trial, if I'm reading that right.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:27AM diamount said

@Kaahn Stewart By using that logic you'd think AoC would be listed because of it's unlimited trial for the first 20 or so levels.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 7:46AM Pewpdaddy said

Community shmunity.... STO was voted the 4th largest disappointment of the year. Then somehow the biggest suprise hit, overall best new... blah blah? I think not, Yet another failed voting system.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 7:59AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Guild Wars is not even an MMORPG.

It just shows how active NCSoft is with the chills on the web.

Millions play Aion. What a laugh: 4 US servers.

NCSoft stands for fraude and crooks.

That sure is a sign for GW2 upcoming "hype".

Stop pretending this is not even worth something

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 8:02AM Zorak said

I give this an Edna Krabapple, "HAH!"

Dear Massively, there is no point in doing year end polls. First some of the options were odd at best, then the results are just comedic. It's time to stop.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 8:33AM Harley Dude said

So of all the turds that dropped in 2010, STO stinks the least? Awesome!

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 8:53AM Ocho said

As much as I'd like to agree with everyone else here... numbers do not lie. So far I've seen on here... what... 80 or so comments about how STO shouldn't win? As opposed to the 5000+ votes that it should? This is the best example I've seen of the "vocal minority". Complain all you want about it being rigged or not being representative, but thats the talk of sore losers and whiners. The poll is simply the results of Massively readers. And if you think STO mobilized its forces, I play STO, and I didn't see any campaign or postings to send people over here to vote, so that claim is null and not why I voted for STO.

Are most of those posting remembering that its being compared to only those games released in 2010? And lets face it, out of all the games released in 2010, yeah, STO stands head and shoulders above the rest. Who should have won? APB? Hello Kitty Online? FFXIV? Give me a break. You can complain about them all you like, but that doesn't change reality.

... and now I feel like I just fell into a troll's trap... ugh... I feel dirty now...

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 9:23PM Mhaer said

@Ocho

To use an old quote: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Internet polls are not exactly the most trustworthy resources. Especially if one dedicated fan can vote multiple times(or even one joker). I have no idea if that was the case here though just pointing that out.

It was still interesting to read these results, seems if I ever make an MMO I should call it "None of the Above" to have some nice poll numbers to show investors.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 9:28AM Tizmah said

Trust me..If STO didn't have the brand name tied with, None of the Above would have won game of the year.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:35AM maximus92 said

I love it when the only argument WoW players have is, "12 million+ players..." Problem is your average WoW player doesn't know the difference between active players and registered users. Hell, I'm part of the "12 million+ players", and I haven't played the game in 8 years, yet I can still access my account. And I bet there are 11.5 million+ users just like me.

I can say that STO has wowed me enough to buy a lifetime subscription, something I said I would never do for any MMO. I have to correct my fellow STOer above, there was on thread pointing STO players to the poll, but as was said the other mmo's fans had the same opportunity.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 11:36AM Brianna Royce said

@maximus92 FREF, the 12 million number IS concurrent subscribers not "people who have ever played":

3.3 mil Cataclysms sold on day 1:

Yay charts full of data!

I know the WoW-hate is strong and all, but the numbers are pretty solid.