Posted: Jan 4th 2011 2:30AM GhostChannel said

Ive been in the beta since Nov. with several lvl30 alts, and im still frakin hooked. Its not the missions, which are really good the first 2 or so times you play through them. For me its the combat, i even like the harder difficulty stuff that really lets you see what the combat system can do.

MOAR Dev content? Well thats just icing on the cake, because ill be on the PvP server, making content everyday. I did some in Beta, but not a bunch really. I cant wait for the mass invasion on launch day. Nobody at level cap or geared. Sooo many targets. Its gonna be a madhouse.

This is just my own personal opinion, many may disagree on the content and combat, and i can see your points. But for me the other stuff just outweighs it. In the end, i feel ill be entertained while the content is added.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 4:00AM BubleFett said

I'm assuming that the other content will be the Flash in Central City.
Another DC hero Universe is Atlantis for Aquaman
and don't forget Amazon for Wonder Woman.

Just curious if they are going to have monthly events in the game?

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 1:04PM Daemodand said

@BubleFett You mean Themyscira for Wonder Woman. /fanboy_mode_off

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:15PM Valdamar said

- "When you play it on a PS3, it feels very comfortable to you. A console gamer who plays action games is going to be able to pick this right up, and they are going to be able to fight. They are going to have fun doing it."

It's interesting to hear Tony say this, because it certainly doesn't feel that comfortable for me to play on a PC. All of my combos use a single mouse button - some of them are click and hold, some are click a few times and hold, some are click 5 times and hold - that and occasionally throwing in a superpower from the 1-6 keys are about as exciting as it gets - you don't really fight with superpowers - you fight with melee attacks (left mouse click) and much weaker ranged attacks (right mouse click) from your chosen weapon set - superpowers just add control, utility or situational attacks on top of that).

It's quite welcome when you face lots of weak enemies (like the flying bats in the Scarecrow fight) so that you can at least switch from left-clicking a lot to right-clicking a lot, if only to give your index finger a rest - but mostly you won't want to as melee is so much stronger than ranged (even if you're a bow-user) - just expect your index finger to really take a battering playing DCUO if you want to use a mouse. For the most part I do more left-clicking than I ever did in Diablo 2, Torchlight and Titan Quest. I'd try it on a gamepad, but DCUO doesn't yet recognise inputs from my Windows compatible gamepad, and my right thumb is still suffering from neural damage atm anyway.

So I'm rather bored of it tbh, because there really aren't many reactive elements - oh sure, if an icon appears over a guy's head I know to hold down my left mouse button for my interrupt (and often it doesn't happen because I was already clicking another combo at the time), and sometimes I can dodge stuff by moving out of the way, but that's about it. Also I'm not that excited when I level up because whatever new skills I get will just mean more left-clicking and counting the clicks until I have to hold the button down - it's more exciting to get a new power but that seems to happen less often.

So combat is hardly that revolutionary - in fact the combat has less depth and variety than Marvel Ultimate Alliance's combat 5 years ago (regardless of platform).

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 10:39PM Valdamar said

I should probably say a few positive things for DCUO - the quests are quite inventive and fun, the voice acting is top notch, and the graphics engine runs really well on low end hardware - I'm running 1920x1080 at high settings on an almost 5 year old PC with 30+ fps framerates, even with lots of players around, and the game looks very good (in a Saturday cartoon kind of way - perfect for this game tbh) - sure, avatars look like they're made of shiny plastic (just like avatars in Champions Online), but that suits the genre too - less welcome is that everyone is seemingly forced to use the same face for each bodytype (3 bodytypes per gender) unless you change your skin to something like zombie or metallic, or cover your face with a full mask/helmet.

I haven't run into many bugs either, unless poor control over character movement in combat is a bug (I turn my mouse, as mouselook is always on, but there's a definite lag between the camera turning and my character turning) - though movement while using a travel power is fairly smooth and often more fun than the combat, especially in the case of Acrobatics (grapnel lines, gliding and wall-crawling all in the same travel power).

I am getting through content and levels at a fair old clip which makes me worry about longevity, especially with only 2 starting cities, 6 origins/mentors, the 10 weapon sets looking rather samey so far (all left-clicking or right-clicking a certain number of times, of course), and only 6 superpower sets, but hopefully they'll add more of the latter - and hopefully make superpowers more viable as actual main combat powers.

I'm a massive DC fan and I do get a major geek buzz just running around Metropolis and Gotham (especially when I found Batman's red roses on the ground in Crime Alley), but it's just not enough to enthuse me much or make me want to play it that much, even in beta (I didn't play at all during the 3 days I had access to Rift: Planes of Telara beta, and that's "just" a WoW/EQ2 clone, but it was deep enough to hold my interest for the bulk of those 3 days).

I just couldn't buy DCUO on release and pay monthly for it on top of that - if I find combat dull now, in my first couple of weeks, and the game is only able to hold my attention in 1-2 hour bursts (like a lot of console games, funnily enough), then it's never going to be able to sustain my interest over a long period as my main MMO on PC - it does a lot right, but it's just not worth paying a subscription for imho. I guess I'll stick with CoH.

Oh look, I ended on a downer again. But that's DCUO all over for me - I was excited about it, still am when I initially log in each time, but the controls and the combat in particular just drain all that excitement out of me, every single time. After being a DC fan for 30 years, and not having played MMOs that much over the past 2 years (compared to the 8 before that), and being lucky enough to get into beta, I really shouldn't be feeling negative about DCUO, but I do.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge