Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 1:36PM someguy2 said

• Half a heart
I would much rather them work on better things such as; making more guns, vehicles and other upgrades. I feel that they are wasting alot of effort making the changes they have planned so far. I can care less about what size the client is. I'm sure anyone with a computer that can actually run this game have good internet speeds as well. Most recently I've downloaded both 15 gig versions of dcuo in only a few hours. Their first priority should be fixing the memory leaks and crashes that happen quite frequently in the game.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 2:07PM jmerriex said

@someguy2 I think maybe you misunderstand. Most of the client optimization we are talking about involves not only reducing the client size but also reducing the amount of memory used and closing a few more notorious memory leaks. So it is odd to say "don't work on client optimization" and then say "fix memory leaks".

Additionally, we will also be adding new things and all that jazz but the first iteration of the new client is getting things working in a fashion that is iterative and clean.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 2:18PM foofad said

@jmerriex Thank you. I beta tested and played retail APB and that was one of the most poorly running games I've ever played. I still have PTSD flashbacks of one memory leak/crazy engine issue that caused the game to drop to less than one frame a second for as much as a minute at a time after playing the game for an hour.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 3:44PM Dril said

@someguy2

Also, for the record: no, I have a monster rig and terrible internet, since I live in the awful backwater that is the UK. THe only fibre optic I can get is Virgin, and either I pay out of my arse for no download restrictions, or have terribad internet.

I like my money more than my time, in that deal.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 2:13PM Cristian Ceo said

I wonder if the ones whom bought the game will be picked for closed beta. Yes i did buy the game...........maybe they will consider us and also give us some goodies even if it is owned by a different company :P

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 2:18PM foofad said

@Cristian Ceo One can dream!

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 2:52PM DaveEllis said

@Cristian Ceo Hopefully those of us who bought the game and paid for our time will be recognised for something, even if it is only an early invite to the closed beta.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 12:26PM Jaydog said

@Cristian Ceo

I agree. I bought the game when it came out the first time and it was a blast! I had to force myself away from the keyboard. If you get the right team together, then you are well on your way to better product. Do what has to be done to make the game successful!!! (i.e less lag etc.)

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 3:28PM someguy2 said

• Half a heart
@jmerriex why you pretending to work for gamerfirst. This article clearly states how its about reducing the size of the client.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 4:00PM BreadMan said

@someguy2

lol at being set straight by the producer of APB then saying that isn't really him. Dig yourself a deeper hole much?

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 7:23PM Caladbolg said

@someguy2

I know for a fact that that's Jon-Enee. He was on staff for Sword of the New World for years. He's got a thing for combing through gaming blogs to and frequently posts news reports about K2/G1's various games. Anyway, good to see K2 is actually gonna fix the problems, rather than pushing out a half assed client.

Posted: Jan 3rd 2011 6:17PM shockologist said

Can't wait for the beta....There were many aspects of this game I enjoyed and was saddened when it went away. my 2 copper

Do whatever is needed to relaunch a smooth game and adopt an attitude of its ready when its ready.

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 1:11AM jmerriex said

@someguy2

While I understand what you are saying (and Bjorn did talk about client optimization a little there), what I am saying is, it is much more than making the client smaller. There are many moving parts.

The majority of what we have been up to these past almost 2 months is specifically researching what was in the queue for release, what needs to be in the queue for release and optimizing the game. To us that term has definitely expanded to mean more than just shrinking the client (though that is one part of it). To us it means more of improving the overall performance of the game specifically in regards to client size and memory usage.

That is what we have done and is something, much like cheating, we will continue to work on as time goes on. It is a piece of the puzzle that will never truly be "done". Rest assured that Qwentle (our Designer) has been working on adding new vehicles, guns and upgrades (all of which will need further testing before release). SO that is on the plate as well.

Methinks I've said too much, however I think what has been said warranted being said :).

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 12:29PM Jaydog said