Posted: Dec 30th 2010 11:13AM FrostPaw said

Let it die.....its meant to die for a reason, because its not very good.

Good games convince their investors to wait, bad games don't.

Sooner it dies the sooner someone else can buy the IP rights and make a better game.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 11:21AM pcgneurotic said

I dunno what you mean by that, unless you were in the SGW CBs. SGR was great - polished, fun and highly playable. I bought a copy from D2D as soon as I could, and if SGW ever makes it out, I'll be first in line for a lifetime sub.

And no, there's nothing you can do to convince an investor to hang on if that investor gets nervous. Investors are like rabbits, you have to handle them very carefully and very calmly at all times or they bolt.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 11:39AM Lateris said

OK first off MGM has their heads up their ass just as much as NBC does with the SyFy channel. I feel terrible for the developers and artist and the studio but in the long run it is better that this MMO never released. MGM needs to take this franchise and put it on HBO with a talented writing crew and build some credentials again. Then take the SG games into a direction for game studios that know what the hell they are doing. Sorry for flaming here but facts are facts.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 11:47AM Zuljundwumn said

@Lateris
What ? Stargate universe's writers are pretty good and... No wait, I can't keep looking serious when I say that.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 12:42PM StClair said

@Zuljundwumn

First, they need to be reminded (again) that the "younger, hipper cast" skit on the 200th episode was meant to be a JOKE, not the plan for the actual next series.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 1:16PM Ryukan said

I lost interest in Stargate after SG-1, but C'MON the franchise has a ton of potential for an MMO.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 1:41PM Scuffles said

I will say Stargate has one of the best MacGuffins in the MMO world. Unfortunatly I think this MMO would have been best launched sometime around SG1 or possibly early Atlantis. It seems like some of the ZOMG its STARGATE!!!11!11oneone!1!11one!! is starting to wear off.

Don't get me wrong I love Stargate, its a decent series and even Universe is starting to somewhat redeem itself. Even if that redemption comes along with a few probable plot paths I know I won't really care for.

I guess what I am getting at is Stargate doesn't still have the brand push that it used to. The MMO has got to be 110% awesome or they might as well not bother because having Stargate in the title is no longer going to buy them time to recover from anything less.

That said I'll keep my fingers crossed for an awesome Stargate MMO in the future.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 1:54PM Haldurson said

I agree that SGW has potential, but it was my understanding that they were not very close to having an actual MMO. Despite this, I strongly suspect that the whole franchise is going to die. SGU, I heard, has been cancelled, and if this is the case, I'm not holding my breath for a new show, let alone a game.

Personally, I never found the writing even in SG1 to be great -- they did have their good episodes, but overall, it was kind of lackluster. What I liked, and what I suspect most fans liked, was the cast/chemistry, and the humor, and, of course, the stargate taking the characters to a new world every week.. The problem with SGU is that their is no chemistry, no humor, and the show feels like everyone's stuck in a dark, claustrophobic basement. It's easy to blame the writers, but I really think that SGU's problems stem from its very concept.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 5:34PM ed511df3 said

Having been in SGW's closed beta, I think I'm more qualified than most to say this.

Let it die.

The concept of the game was cool, but it was not very well coded, was in an extremely alpha state where many of the systems hadn't even been implemented yet, and generally would just have needed a couple of more years work for it to become a fully fleshed out game. I just don't think there was enough work done to warrant picking it up and finishing it. By the time it would actually be ready, it would be extremely dated, and it's my opinion that other games that are already out will have done better polishing some of the ideas that SGW had.

Now, if someone else wants to take a fresh crack at the Stargate franchise, then by all means, go for it! But make sure it really is a fresh crack at it. The entire franchise is well past the Tau'ri-Goa'uld conflicts - the game should be too. There's new worlds, new galaxies, they can explore. New enemies to meet. New ideas. They should explore that in a game rather than take SGW's approach and re-hash something that was settled in the television series.

Posted: Dec 31st 2010 7:39AM (Unverified) said

Stargate SG-1 Very good very compelling storyline always had you on the edge of your seat
Stargate Atlantis Sluggish start but interesting enough to keep you coming back for more and in the end seasons of the show even more exciting than SG-1
Recently Cancelled Stargate: Universe crap...utter crap...the show ran like a space opera Stargate themed.