Posted: Dec 29th 2010 1:11PM Daemodand said

I wouldn't worry about the competition too much. Having played the beta, I am impressed by DCUO's graphics and how well they perform on even my modest system (CO runs like crap, and CoH just doesn't have an engine anywhere near as good as Unreal), and how well designed the environments are, but the combat is just too "fighting game" and the customization and power selections are lightyears behind CoH and CO.

If I'm CO, I'm worried. But I don't think CoH's servers will go green when DCUO launches (and certainly not long-term). CoH already beat that brash young upstart CO. With its deep customization, loads of content and more traditional MMO action, I think by this time next year we'll be wondering if the still-top-dog CoH will beat Marvel Universe Online, too.

Oh, and DCUO? Equipment repairs? Really? Next!

Posted: Dec 29th 2010 1:46PM AT3374 said

I'd agree . Playing beta now for DC Online on Ps3 , and it's cool and hope that more enhancements are forth coming but not worried about it taking over CoH anytime soon .

And yes , no to equipement repairs

Posted: Dec 29th 2010 4:14PM Heraclea said

Not terribly worried about the threat of DCUO, and I probably will be playing it. The game is gorgeous, and gets interesting fast, pitting you against name villains in fights that require some thought before level 5. But so far, it's been more a matter of playing through the major arcs to see what the stories are about. This is interesting, especially given the voice acting, but it isn't MMO.

What CoH needs to do is give all the old line content, especially heroside, the Positron TF treatment. At minimum all contacts should be in the zones their missions focus on, and populated by enemy groups they focus on. This would make the stories make more sense.

Posted: Dec 29th 2010 5:04PM AT3374 said

@Heraclea

Agree wholeheartedly , the rest of the TF need a spit shine and get rid of the travel to 3 different zones and fighting enemies that have no place in said zone .

Great post

Posted: Dec 29th 2010 5:21PM Sam not Spam said

The new content (Praetoria's and more recent missions arcs) really has spoiled me for the game, and I would love to see more stuff of that caliber in the upcoming future. What I'd also like to see is for them to take a page out of STO's book and stagger releases of content - to have some i20.5, i21.5, etc., content. The mid-issue blues can get to me sometimes!

I'd also like to see them expand on customization: there are still the APP/PPP's, regular power pools, and more powersets that could use additional animations. Being able to choose the graphics effects for non-melee powers (make energy blast look like ice, fire, etc), would be a fantastic expansion, but not one I'm going to hold my breath for. I'm a big fan of looks and ability not being tied to each other.

As a 63-month vet, I really want them to make travel powers available at level 6. I'll give up my little cookie there for that to become a standard feature! If they want to replace it with capes and auras at creation, that'll be a good-enough tradeoff (but even then that should be standard too at this point).

As they're looking into (not promising!) cross-server teaming, I think that should be a priority. Be nice for PVE, but should be consider essential for what remains of the PVP community, methinks (especially if the PVP zones were made cross-server by default). And, honestly, its in-genre :)

I'm loving the incoming competition, even if they're not my cup of tea. There's enough players to go around, especially with the PS3 looking to be the platform of choice for DCUO.

Posted: Dec 29th 2010 5:31PM Protoavis said

@Tempes Magus

when you unlock an equipment look it's unlocked permanently on that toon whether you still have the gear or not.

Posted: Dec 29th 2010 5:47PM Kcirrot said

@Tempes Magus

Equipment repairs are the only death penalty in DCUO. On that note it's not too bad. I don't think DCUO is any threat to City of Heroes, but there are some things that are nice about it.

For example, as a poster above stated, you don't lose access to an appearance items when you use a new piece of equipment. Once you unlock a costume piece, that appearance is available to you at any time. And you don't need to go to the tailor to change your appearance like with City of Heroes. It can be done through the basic interface. Soon they said they'll add saved templates which will eliminate the whole need for 'costume slots'.

On balance, DCUO is a decent game with a phenomenal potential to be a great game like CoH.

Posted: Dec 30th 2010 1:37PM macallen said

Things I'd like to see:
1. Base upgrades. I've 40m prestige and nothing to spend it on. I'd like to do serious crafting for my SG but the storage limits are ridiculous for a base the size of a city block. I want a Cim portal, a danger room, Praet textures, etc. There are a TON of improvements that can be done in this space.

2. Costume pieces. I want the Carnie set. I'd like more belt options. Male headbands with hair. I know it sounds trivial to some, but there is a large segment of CoH's population that's here almost solely for the costumes.

3. MM customization. I want a single MM class, I choose my primary and I BUILD my pets, similar to the AE builder. I pick the look (or design a costume), and pick the power sets for them, so if I want a group of soldiers that use dark instead of guns, I can have it. Tremendous potential in this AT, would like to see it expanded upon.

4. Leech from the other hero MMO's. Give us DCUO's wall walking, give us ChO's parkour/acrobatics. The DP AT was directly from ChO's having it, the moves are even similar, keep it up. I'm with the other posters, CoH will see dips when other hero mmo's come out, but folks will always come back.

5. I agree, more EAT's. Expand the Incarnate system to be more than enhancers (pretty sure that's the plan anyway).

Plenty of room for improvement in this old dog yet :)

Posted: Jan 2nd 2011 1:09PM Zamuel said

For 2011, I want to see more updates for Mission Architect. It was a great concept but poorly handled. My worry is that it may be "too late".

Posted: Jan 4th 2011 4:59AM lmollea said

I won't be worried by the competition. DCUO it's no better than what was CO at launch. It will sufffer the same ending. DCUO in the current state it isn't worth a box price+subscription.
After vet 24 and 4 years I still come back from time to time to coh, the new innovations pve-side post I16 were simply spectacular.

What are we going to see next year?
- Dynamic events, like warhammer. We already saw them in pretoria and the invasion and we're going to see them more and more.
- Incarnate system expansion. Was a nice addition to let you play your level 50, it's not grindy as I worried, hope that the next parts won't be too grindy also.
- (hopefully) Blue wall removal in paragon city
- more powerset? maybe. Change of travel power? Yes, please! CO and DCUO have some awesome powerset.
- PVP love? Hope so.

My expectations?
* Invention revamp: the set bonus and IO sets don't let you min-max well your character, on some powerset (especially buff/debuff ones) there are too many powers that can't be slotted reducing your choices and possibilities.
* The return of the base raids, personal bases/hideouts
* Graphic overhaul?
* All Hero TF revamp like Positron
* A couple Villain TF more pre-50 (heroes got many more)