Posted: Dec 25th 2010 8:17AM anduz said

• Half a heart
Cool story.

But you're referring to a quest where you go through felhound droppings to find the keys for some goblins shredder. Sure it eats the hellboars you kill before it takes a shit, but it seems pretty damn silly to rewrite what actually happens when you're even linking directly the quest.

Honestly it seems likely you never did the quest and didn't even bother to read the 3 lines on wowhead. :p

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:19AM alzeer said

@anduz
still the difference isnt that big
bottom line its very unheroic thing to do

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:21AM Rayko said

@anduz

He was paraphrasing for both brevity and humor, and he is exactly right; I never do the poop quests.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:46AM Tizmah said

@alzeer I do agree, but Warcraft isn't very serious all the time, has a comical nature to it. But yes that comical nature doesn't make for you feeling very heroic. You feel more like the guy who gets involved in silly things, but ends up saving the world because of it on accident.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:04AM eforhan said

I feel least like a hero with every paid expansion.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:08AM Channel84 said

guild war mission makes me and my party feel like a bunch of hero/saviour

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:23AM alzeer said

in ffxi while playing whm
and some mob 20 lvls lower than me can kill me

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:26AM xyna031 said

Age of conan made me feel like a true hero in tortage.
The story line was very very good. After tortage it was just a mmo.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 10:07AM Faryon said

• 1 heart
Poop jokes are stuff that should have been left to die back in kindergarden, but appearantly Blizzard think they are good for some reason so they have made at least 1 poop quest each expansion: Shizz Work in TBC, Lupus Pupus in Wrath and Bravo Company Field Kit: Camoflage in Cata.. I'm sure there is even more quests which makes some kind of poop jokes, but these were the once I found where you are actually asked to pick up or search through poop..

Blizzard: These quests are NOT fun for anyone over the age of 12 with a moderate sense of humor. The only way to make these quests fun is to down a bottle of Jack Daniels before playing through them.. Though when I think about it alcohol or drugs has to be how your quest writers came up with this shit (no pun intended).

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 10:33PM KDolo said

@Faryon

Down a bottle of jack daniels? !2 year old kids drink that. The cool kids drink Jameson.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 10:16AM J Brad Hicks said

THE stupidest quest chain in City of Heroes, specifically on the villain side:

Wally "Dealer" Wheeler puts out an add for super-mercs, saying he'll pay well. By the end of the briefing of the first quest in the chain, it is obvious that he's a patsy and dumb as a brick. He's hiring you to attack every villain group in the area, including the villain government, on behalf of an employer he doesn't know and who hasn't even paid him up front.

No "plot twist" in history has ever been more obvious than when, five or six missions into the quest chain, it turns out he's being manipulated by the good guys into doing covert ops for them and that they have no intention of rescuing him (or you) when the villain government catches you both.

Don't even bother looking this one up on Paragon Wiki, just go directly to the entry in TV Tropes for "The Idiot Ball." Because never in gaming history has there ever been a more blatant case of a quest chain that only makes sense if there's a mystical artifact out there that makes you really, really stupid, and your character picked it up by accident.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 10:59AM Dayron said

Probably was when playing Ragnarok Online and doing the series of quest to enter Nameless Island, in one part you have to make a soap... made of camel dropins, you have to give food to the "special" camel and wait for him to poop.

You have to give him like 20-30 packs of food you have to grind from the world and wait for 5 pieces of poop. In the end your char same something in the line of "Yay I have the 5 drops! I feel so heroic now....wait..."

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 11:43AM ChongShin said

Your article explains, quite succinctly, exactly what is wrong with MMOs and why I no longer pay for them - and haven't for quite awhile. They base their entire game play on this kind of... dare I say... crap.

MMOs don't make you feel heroic. They make you feel, at best, like an under paid manual laborer.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 11:49AM UnSub said

My favourite non-hero moment in MMOs this year was the FFXIV video where an entire group of PCs wiped against a ladybird. It wasn't even a giant ladybird, or an undead lich ladybird... the entire mob name was ladybird and it was fairly small.

If your character is getting their butts kicked by a ladybird, there is no way a character can feel heroic ever again!

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 11:58AM Audacious said

Kidnapping children in WoW was probably the least heroic thing I've ever done in any video game.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 9:50PM Thremma said

@Audacious This. Kidnapping all those puppies for my epic fishing pole . . .

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 12:11PM SgtBaker1234556 said

• 1 heart
Griefing someone in EVE so they quit the game. If you get entire corp to do that.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 12:12PM SgtBaker1234556 said

• 1 heart
@SgtBaker1234556

Meh - edit function would be nice...

"..Bonus points if you get entire corp to do that"

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 12:21PM redsolar said

Any game that puts no effort whatsoever towards creating a cinematic progression throughout your questline and doesn't reflect this epic change in-game makes me feel least like a hero.

Posted: Dec 25th 2010 12:38PM toychristopher said

All quests all the time. I mean, basically my "hero" is a murderer. When I read science fiction/fantasy stories it rarely tells how the hero was set to murder 12 trollocs and rip out there tongues as proof, or slaughter the local wildlife for their spleens.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014