Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:53AM Daelen said

@Gaugamela
When in the Defiance beta, threaded and multi core support were not enabled. So on leaving the sanctuary and overlooking the starter city/village on Ultra, no mods, I was getting 13fps.

In the Guardian beta, multicore support was enabled and again on leaving the sanctuary and overlooking the city/village... 17fps.

I have an AMD 965 and 4890, Win7 64, 4GB. This is right up there with EQ2 raid performance... ie terrible. Could it be my PC? Sure, but I'm not interested in a startup in beta enough to dig when the MMOs I do enjoy are flying. Monitoring wise, its CPU limited. GPU sits at ~70% and CPU is using all cores but only ~30% each, some pegging at 50%.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:02AM Sharuk said

I agree it reminds me of WAR/WoW/EQ.

But Rifts, Invasions and the Soul System is what separates this game from the rest.

The soul system alone got me interested in the game, and now after dabbling in their soul system, the WoW system looks so bland and boring. I loved seeing Rogue main tanks and Mage healers and Cleric Tanks. Loved seeing the bard strumming on his guitar and then backstabbing.

I loved the soul system.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:09AM werewood said

• 1 heart
@Sharuk
Sorry ... definitely not enough to make the rest interesting.
Rifts became boring to me after 3 days of play. And the soul system is the right one just not in the proper game.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:18AM Gaugamela said

• 1 heart
@werewood

If it is enough for him who are you to judge?

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:53AM Grok said

@Gaugamela You really seem to have a problem with people sharing their opinions. Relax.

You like the game, so do I. Other's won't, that's fine. Feel free to disagree with people, but don't harangue them for having an opinion.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 2:01PM Sharuk said

@werewood It was super interesting to me. Rift just like any other game or MMO is not for everyone. I loved my experience in Rift and I usually hate all new MMOs.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:07AM werewood said

Dejavu ... yah. Since its linear theme-park with kinda boring content.
It does look ok and could be more interesting than wow sometime due to being new ... but hey cata is new and its content is superior.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:29AM xuiton said

Maybe they should have included more starter zones. I mean playing AION, was extremely linear and boring and had no replay value what so ever. I hate WoW, however it had one good point, 3 starter zones for each faction and multple zones for desired level area.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume that RIFT just didn't have the time or money to make other zones.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:48AM MMOaddict said

For me it feels like Aion with its UI and boring combat, mixed with the graphics, combat spells/abilities and PQs of WAR.

In one word, boring. I felt no attachment to my characters or the world(except the underwater areas, those were top notch). No addictive quality making me wonder what's over the next rise or what does that next mob drop etc. The story seemed fairly non existant to me. The quests fairly pointless and not very fun.

I actually felt more like I was playing a FTP with nice graphics and polish but still boring overall just like every FTP(except LOTRO) I've ever played.

Replay value on alts is NIL due to lack of starting areas or decent racial separation. Every race felt the same with the exception of dwarves, obviously. The soul trees need a TON of reworking so that you can actually delve into any tree without gimping yourself or have redundant spells that you get anyway in the root of a tree.

I'll give this game a year or 2 out of the gate before I contemplate seeing if it changed for the better. I'm not expecting it to.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 12:52PM MotionX said

@MMOaddict

You thought AION had boring combat? I played a Sin as a main in that game for just over a year (quit due to nerfs/fortress lag), and thought that AION had some of the most fun combat I've played in an MMO. (I also lvl'd a ranger, mage, priest and glad to 30). Tried going back to some other MMO's to check them out again (ie f2p LOTRO) and it was ten times more boring than I had ever remembered.

Guess I'm just curious, if AION has boring combat, which games have good combat? I'd like to check them out.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 1:20PM MMOaddict said

@MotionX

Fair enough. I think WoW has the best tab target combat as it is fast and fun. It flows just right. I found Aion slow and annoying, but remember it's the "feel" of combat that matters to me. I like the "feel" of darkfall combat too, but that might have more to do with being able to skill it up and with the mob AI being so dynamic. I too think LOTRO combat is a bit slow but the gameworld makes up for it. For me, Rift doesn't have that going for it, otherwise I could overlook the combat.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:01AM Kris015 said

It does remind me a lot about EQII and that's not bad :)

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:01AM thebillyman said

It doesn't remind me of one specific game. It reminds me of way too many games, and that's why it's for ill to me. The great thing about sandbox games and particularly action oriented games is the combat is not going to be JUST LIKE the hundred games that came before it and wore it out in the first place. Matrix Online had a really unique combat system. Maybe it got old eventually too but at least I didn't log in for the first time and think to myself, aw, not this crap again.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:14AM Ememoh said

IMO, people are being way too critical about RIFT. Yes, it plays a bit like most of the other EQ/WoW clones out there, but its also trying something new with the rift and soul systems. These are a couple of features that puts it above something like WoW imo. For me WoW is missing the randomness of something like rifts, and with the update for Cata the talent trees have been simplified further meaning even less options for builds. RIFT's soul system looks to have much more scope and I'm looking forward to seeing a larger array of character builds.

Also, so what if there isn't dozens of starting zones. The game is brand new, it needs a chance to grow. What's stopping the devs releasing an expansion with new areas, races and classes? At the end of the day an MMO's growth and success is down to us, the players. If we get behind games like this and provide support then we will see improvement. How much replay value does someone need at the launch of an MMO? Are you really going to burn though all the available classes and end game content, crafting, dungeons, raids, etc, months before an expansion comes out? just seems a bit greedy imo.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:28AM goatfoam said

Yes, I had massive deja vu and really didn't feel like it brought anything new to the genre other than increased accessibility - but let's face it that's the way the genre's going anyway. I'll not be buying it, but I have nothing against the game, the developers, or the people who want to play it.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:32AM Saker said

Played 2 of the recent beta events. Nice graphics/sound. Very few bugs I saw. Agree with many that the 2 starter areas, and linearity is boring. Could use more variety there. Haven't had a chance to try out crafting. Tried playing a shaman last event found it painfully boring, maybe gets better later... Classes seem alittle bland. Casters I played (pyro/elementalist/necro/warlock) all seemed very similar. Would love someone to make a caster class that played like original EQ's mage, select the elemental you want for the situation.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:53AM Channel84 said

aion for colour template
war for gamebryo engine
wow for themepark and crafting
gw2 wannabe for dynamic event
vanguard/eq for dev choice

But overall very nice game and well polished. Questing a bit boring and easy thou

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 12:26PM Galvatron said

Rift looks great but I had more fun with other games at launch. Had loads more fun with Vanguard at launch. EQ2 was more fun as well...

Rifts remind me of Warhammers public quest system except they are called Rifts. I will try beta again once they allow us to go above level 20 to see if the game starts to crap out after that level.

May be another failure but who knows... I hope I'm wrong as we need a solid mmo hit after years of failures..

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 12:28PM Brockobama321 said

Almost like Oblivion and WoW had a love child.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 12:33PM JayFiveAlive said

For those with performance issues, Rift doesn't play well with ATI/AMD video cards at the moment. I am sure that is something that will be fixed before release.

Just to tell you how bad it is, I play on my laptop with a 280M and it smokes latest ATI/AMD cards with this game. It's just a driver optimization issue, definitely will be fixed.

Personally, Rift feels like WoW/WAR hybrid, but IMO not in a good way. Looking toward TERA now personally.

The Stream Team: Adios, Elite: Dangerous