Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 6:14PM Beau Hindman said

Wild Colors: My column Free for All is all about playing one game per week so I feature a ton of good free, indie and browser based games that would require no download or purchase. I'm guessing that you might not all have top of the line gaming rigs, so there are some good choices in there for lower end machines.

Off of the top of my head, I would definitely check out:

Milmo (for younger players) http://web01.milmogame.com/

Wizard 101 (great card strategy, will run on a netbook, fun for all ages) https://www.wizard101.com/start

RuneScape (amazingly deep that runs right in your browser. Easy to sign up and you'll all start in the same area. Will run on anything) www.runescape.com

Free Realms (not just a "kid's game" It really offers tons of choices and a VERY robust cash-shop that will instantly provide tons of stuff for really cheap) www.freerealms.com

There are tons more, but if you want to just pick up and go, go for some of those. If there are no kids, go for RuneScape.Don't let the graphics fool ya, the game has more depth and activities to participate in than most "AAA" games.

Beau

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 6:57PM Wild Colors said

@Beau & Eliot: Thank you both!

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 10:34PM gamebynight said

Hey Eliot,

Just a head's up about that keyboard being designed for MMO gamers. The one thing they're leaving out about those modifier keys is that most MMOs (even WoW addons like Dominos) won't recognize them. I use the Logitech G110 which includes 12 function buttons on the left. I found out the hard way that anything outside of what the designers have coded in won't be support and won't bind. As a workaround, many games support multi-button binds -- ctrl+shift+1, etc -- so, you can use the macro software to manually set them to accepted modifiers. Unless Razer programmed something like this manually in, it'll be the route you have to go.

Having used their Lycosa, I can attest to how awesome their software and build quality is. I programmed mine to run a little script that would open my favorite websites, WoW, and Skype with one button. When you finally get it, you should do a review for the site. I'd like to read your thoughts on it.

Posted: Dec 24th 2010 1:31AM Seldra said

You should just get the n52te and combo that with the naga, you'll never touch the keyboard other than to use it like in the old days which is to type with.

Posted: Dec 24th 2010 5:43AM The Protagonist said

I recently bought myself a MERC Stealth Gaming Keyboard as I prefer to use separate buttons rather than the letter keys for keybinding, and coupled with the Razer Naga I have all the buttons I need within easy reach without having to use any inconvenient modifiers.

Posted: Dec 24th 2010 4:49PM Graill440 said

I am cruising for a "better" keyboard, havent found one i like yet. I detest games allowing macros as this dumbs the thing down so much, look at wow as the biggest example of macro heaven for 8 million folks.
One key, one action is what i demand and if the title allows more it had better be exceptional or i pass. I run a set of .mil servers in which we, by invite allow some lucky folks on one of two bases to partake in some great fragging, the bad thing is nearly all want to write their own script, or input a program to run one or even tape crosshairs or use an erasable marker on the monitors.

We do not allow any of this and find these super gamers not so super when they are relegated to single key strokes. The cries of we want convienience and i demand things to be easier and i demand no button mashing.........well sucks to be you. Folks today are addled by macros and one button execution of a ten minute death routine (heal/dps/buff/dispell/make peanut butter and jelly sammich, repeat after 6 seconds) they could never accomplish by themselves.

In a way the newer keyboards only add to this stigma. Many call themselves "Pro gamers" because of their skill in programming macros for any game, i call them lazy cheats. Macro hacks, script hacks, regualr hacks, its all the same thing, they make playing any game, MMO, shooter, action title, to easy, somehting the devs sadly coddle to.

Posted: Dec 24th 2010 5:53PM kidsneedtoswear said

Hey everyone, I has a couple of questions!!

1) Is there anyone I can get in contact with in the MVOP guild in Guild Wars, cos Im in Europe here and every time I try and get in contact with her she asleeeep :D

2) Do you think when the last harry potter movie ends, a mmorpg will be made? cos thats a pretty expansive universe, and i think it would work

3) Do you know of any really WEIRD mmorpgs? Im kinda bored of the run of the mill stuff, and love things like the endless forest, and was wondering if you knew of any indie/homemade games like it?