Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 1:01PM Valdamar said

Do the larger races not have anything to compensate them for their larger hitboxes? Such as having a longer reach in melee, and/or a faster movement pace due to having longer legs? Seems like that could be an elegant solution while still retaining racial variety.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 2:46PM Jef Reahard said

@Valdamar

The Mahirim start out with a bit higher base quickness stat (25 IIRC), but really that's rendered moot after you've played for a couple of weeks. I don't personally see much advantage in terms of melee reach over my human character. Both toons have pretty long reaches when using greatswords. A vet may be able to correct me on that though.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 2:49PM Tjad said

@Valdamar

Yes the larger races with their larger hitboxes also have a larger swing radius so it works out.

His wolf also has a racial skill that allows his normal walk speed to overtime skill up to almost as fast as anyone else sprinting which is really pro when you are trying to conserve every bit of stamina you have in pve/pvp fights.

The biggest complaint most wolves and orcs actually end up having about their races is simply not being able to see through their own wide/tall body when fighting.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 2:52PM Tjad said

@Jef Reahard

Actually all the weapons have their own unique swing radius which is added to whatever your race size is.

Polearms have the greatest length with greatswords just under that etc

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 3:03PM Jef Reahard said

@Tjad

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 3:43PM Valdamar said

@Tjad
At least there's some kind of compensation then, which is good.

I always remember when I played DAoC that Kobolds (Midgard) and Lurikeen (Hibernia) were very popular for serious PvPers because they were so small they could hide behind bushes, in water and behind ridges and folds in the land a lot more easily than other races, but there wasn't really any drawback to being that small in that game (as with most MMOs the short races ran at the same speed as everyone else).

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 6:08PM Machinator said

@Jef Reahard

You spelt "pwning" wrong. ;-)

Posted: Dec 24th 2010 11:26AM Jef Reahard said

@Machinator

Ack, that's embarrassing, lol. Fixed, ty.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 5:35PM raistiff said

@ Valdamar

I played a Lurikeen in Daoc and hiding was a huge bonus to the small size which it seems would also help in Darkfall. But trying to cast off a keeps wall in Daoc was horrible due to the short size, had to time my jumps just to get the cast to go off. Even small hills tended to block my line of sight. 8)

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 11:02AM Ripper McGee said

Regarding mobs not popping in, when I played one of the most frustrating thing was when mobs would suddenly pop-in to an otherwise uninhabited area. I like to explore and there were more than a few times when I wandered into what appeared to be a completely uninhabited area or camp, snoop around for a couple of minutes, only to be completely surprised when the whole camp suddenly popped on me! It seemed like the game didn't populate the mobs until a player entered the area.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 7:59PM covertAHhps said

@ Jef

If you keep dueling and getting into the combat in Darkfall (which I am still learning things and its been almost 2 years) you will get to a point where each fight usually lasts at least 20min to an hour or more even (unless you are fighting a newb or something) and the rush that you experience (because messing up just once can be fatal and it sucks even more to die when you are decked out!) is nothing that no other game can match. The combat alone is very fast-paced and instense but will draw out into a very lengthy competition when you become developed (I am 40% melee 30% archery 5% debuffs, 5% bunny hopping and/or blinding, and the rest probably kiting and using cover while casting conversions lol . .. very little grind needed for this play-style) and you will find that its the combat that makes Darkfall the funnest game out there. Seriously I have been engaged before with 1vs12 or 1vs1 that lasted a couple hours and I was at the edge of my seat the entire time and the battle lasted so long that I travelled like 3 zones at least while fighting heavily). I cannot describe the experience using words and it takes months of dueling practice before you become like this.

Thanks to Darkfall I cannot log into other MMORPGs anymore . .. I'll immediately try and explore and jump around . ... get annoyed by invisible walls and lack of ways to simply move around from point A to point B and then give up completely when I get into combat and realize that its so easy I could make a macro win the PVE for me in many cases.

Posted: Dec 24th 2010 11:24AM Jef Reahard said

@covertAHhps

Yeah, my experience with Darkfall has spoiled me in that it makes obvious how confining most of the titles in this genre really are. It will probably be years before I attain the level of combat proficiency you're talking about (if I ever do) but the journey is much more enjoyable than most of the other games I'm playing.

Posted: Dec 23rd 2010 8:10PM covertAHhps said

Since I just said the word, 'macro', I feel that it is my duty to the gaming community to let you all know that when I visit the forums, I am basically told by the community that I should not be enjoying myself since I do not macro or grind heavily and never have since I rerolled (I did swim for some quickness though which they are obviously fixing with meditation soon).

I don't mind coming across macroers because I can kill them and make money (last time I came across some I made 60k+!) and definitely think that the game is a lot funner to develop your toon through PVE while wearing your best stuff out on a suicidal PVP run at least once a week. Since I love the PVE in this game, this is not a problem for me. I never ever camp the same spawns either. I get bored fast and move onto something interesting and new usually. Almost 2 years in and I have only seen about 60% of dungeons, 75% of the map, and about 40% of the cities. I am a casual player so maybe I would have seen more if I played more? Usually 10-20 hours a week and yes I am patient but have never found this much enjoyment in a video game.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM