Posted: Dec 21st 2010 9:13AM Nibbana said

I remember buying Basic DnD back in the day, and we had no clue how to play the game. Without reading the rules, we just named someone the Dungeon Master and started playing and he basically read us the story and we acted out our parts without using so much as a single die. Hell, we didn't know what the dice were for! That first dungeon had orcs in a winding cave, wish I could remember what it was called.

Then it was onto Intermediate DnD, then the first Advanced DnD. I stopped playing after the second edition, but about once a year I join my brother for an evening of pen and paper. And it's still awesome!

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 9:39AM (Unverified) said

@Nibbana Haha, I still have my original Basic Dungeons & Dragons books. My most valued possesion, to me at least, is my original printing of the second edition of the Player's Handbook from 1980 that was signed by E. Garry Gygax (just like that) at GenCon 19.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 9:27AM Darkmoone said

I still have my books and dice. Good article and it's all true.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 9:57AM Lobotomist said

Funny story:

I come from one of eastern European countries.

So when I was just a small kid I saw E.T , and mentioned scene of D&D.

I was so awe struck and impressed by the game. But had no idea what it was. So me and my friends went and created a game based on what we saw in the movie. Kind of reverse engineered D&D

Long time after I stumbled across a book in some corner of a bookstore : "D&D Rules Cyclopedia"

"So that was the game they were playing!" I shouted.

And since than i am loyal fan of D&D

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 10:27AM starchildren3317 said

I was introduced to D&D when I was 13 (now 33). My best friend had received that original red box classic D&D game. We busted it out and gave it a try in his mother's station wagon while we were on the way to the movies. I have played ever since. Started back then but then we picked up 2nd Ed. Moved to 3.0/3.5, and was very happy with the changes. About 8 or 9 years ago I got into this fantastic group of players, became great friends with everyone. We have been playing together every Tuesday since.

Course when 4th Ed came out we thought it a complete bastardization of the game and dropped it within months of trying it. Because WoTC no longer supports/writes for 3.5 we all decided to move to Pathfinder - which uses the 3.5 rules set but with Paizo's own updates. If you haven't tried it I recommend, its fantastic!

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 10:40AM adamb said

Mmmmm the golden days of books, paper and dice. No lost connections, unhelpful help desks or dodgy patches. Simpler and may i say more fun?

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 11:36AM jaffrojones said

Since 4th ED took so much from MMO's, how long is it going to be before we see a new D&D MMO with the new rules? Or do you think it's more likely that DDO revamps their gameplay to make way for the new rules?

Posted: Dec 28th 2010 11:21PM Durinthal said

@jaffrojones

I really doubt they would try to convert DDO, as one of two things would probably happen: it would be such a drastic change that it would alienate a significant portion of the existing player base, or it wouldn't go far enough and fail to draw in enough new players to make up for the effort spent.

But seriously, WTB good 4E D&D MMO. This should include attacks that move characters/mobs around (and they should be solid objects, no running through that kobold), as positioning is often a significant part of combat.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 11:40AM Syesta said

RIP THAC0

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:24PM J Brad Hicks said

• Half a heart
Unfortunately, most of the worst parts of D&D's combat system still hang around the industry's neck like a rotting albatross. (I'm looking at you, hit points that increase with level. And, for that matter, at you, leveling in general. Not to mention character class determining what weapons and armor you can use. Or getting most of your loot from robbing the corpses of people you murder.) Let's face it, one of the reasons why modern era MMOs and science fiction MMOs almost universally suck is that almost none of the D&D combat system conventions make sense in anything BUT an early-medieval fairy tale setting: you get stupid things like machine-gunner soldiers or phaser-wielding Starfleet captains or 19th century gunslingers having to shoot someone twenty times to get them to fall down, and level 50 characters who cannot be threatened by even a mob of 1,000 level 1 characters because they're immune to damage. (Yes, I'm looking at you, STO, and SWG, and from the videos we've seen, SWTOR too.)

But nope, we can't do anything different, because D&D is like scripture to game companies: Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson said it, every MMO designer believes it, and that settles it.

And, wow, words cannot express how tired I am of that generic early-medieval fairy-tale setting. I enjoyed the heck out of it -- back in 1978. I've way out-grown my 1978 HP programmable calculator and my 1970s Chevy Impala land-yacht and that awful 1970s leisure suit and shaggy haircut; my kitchen doesn't still have "avocado" colored appliances and my living room doesn't still have orange shag carpet. So why does everybody with any money to invest in multiplayer persistent gaming worlds insist that we never leave the late 70s?

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:54PM mttgamer said

@J Brad Hicks I would like to beg the question: "Then what would you do differently?" D&D is a core system that has worked for ages. Yes is it old and clunk and only works in the setting of medieval fantasy, yes. I do not disagree with your points. Do you have something better?

If you do not, no worries I'm just curious.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 12:40AM Dblade said

People forget that there have been a lot of other systems that worked equally as well. You can trace a lot of vehicular combat mechanics to Steve Jackson's Car Wars, for one. Battletech also had a great combat system, Traveller inspired EVE and Elite, and ironically, Champions Online's namesake pen and paper had a great system. You made a character out of a pool of points, buying advantages and disadvantages.

D&D gets a lot of press, but people forget the other games.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 2:57PM Valdamar said

I was never a fan of AD&D - in my group we usually played stuff like RuneQuest/Elric/Pendragon, Warhammer FRP, Shadowrun, Paranoia, etc. despite having tried AD&D - but I still recognise the debt owed to D&D by MMOs and most modern fantasy gaming on the tabletop, just because it crystallised so many of the ideas and concepts from the fantasy literature of the 50 years before it.

EverQuest and WoW have done similar things in the MMO space - using the mainstream conventions of fantasy without stepping too far outside them - I guess the next generation of "fantasy simulations" may owe them a debt.

That said I think the article should have mentioned MUDs as the step between pen & paper RPGs like D&D and the MMOs we play today.