Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:10PM Anatidae said

It often makes me wonder why MMOs keep going 2 factions. I can only assume because WoW is so successful that they model after that.

In my recollection, the best PvP faction wars have always been with 3 factions. Planetside, DAoC, etc...

Sure, in a FPS team vs. team is fine, but in a world setting, it is far more interesting to have a three-way battle. And if you are only doing to do arena type matches, then you don't need factions anyway really. The whole Horde vs. Alliance in WoW is just about pointless really. Even things like the battlegrounds would work just as fine if it were two horde or alliance teams fighting one another.

Of course I wish the best of luck to Trion Worlds even if I would like to see MMO developers picking up successful game mechanics that are not WoW-based.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:19PM Grumms said

@Anatidae
I could NOT agree more.

Planetside was one of my favorite games of all time. I loved having 2 other factions to battle. Not just 1.

It makes things really interesting.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 1:06PM Shadanwolf said

@Anatidae

You said the magic word......WOW.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 2:26PM Fatetaker said

@Anatidae

Best game dynamic ever, player created factions. Eve Online's player created political blocks are 100x better than 2 or 3 factions... Though anything is better than two...

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 5:47PM Kris015 said

@Anatidae Sorry, but I don't agree with the WoW thing. It's not all WoW's fault MMOs look like they do. You're making WoW a genre more than a game.
The way I see it is more the "good vs evil" fight, and that is what developers go for, not because WoW did it.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:15PM Naphilia said

Fab fab fab

Can't wait for the game to be released.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:30PM Channel84 said

This game is on my 2011 must play list if they don't screw up.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:45PM MMOaddict said

• 1 heart
This game WAS on my to buy list, but along with DCUO is now on my wait 2 years and buy list. Shallow mmorpgs are just too plentiful these days. I want more meat.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 1:12PM ilikain said

Like the videos, but UGH; they need to re-do the Guardians Voice-over... way too overacted.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 1:24PM delphinius81 said

The Guardian's voice over was bad... Spent more time thinking about how bad it was than I did really watching what was going on. The Defiant video was well done though.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 2:23PM Fatetaker said

Weird couldn't see the videos until I logged in....

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 2:45PM Dumac said

You can toss away the good voice acting when the narrator is blatantly lying over how many ascended were engineered.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 3:31PM redsolar said

Couldn't agree more on the Guardian voice talent. That voice just wasn't putting me in the emotion of the video. I'm surprised they let these videos loose after personally submitting a comment to Trion.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 3:53PM RizzRustbolt said

In game engine for those cinematics, by the way.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 5:39PM delphinius81 said

Well, without having the old version up for comparison, I can't really say for sure, but I think the updated version has better voice acting. Could be completely psychological and I'm assuming that's what they updated.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 6:25PM Silverangel said

Evokes Aion with the two opposing factions each having a different viewpoint on a prior cataclysmic event. Personal reaction was neutral towards the old "you are the special saviour of the world" theme. Like the religious theme in the Guardian, which is the gem of that perspective for player appeal. That could even be enhanced. Thanks, looking forward to playing.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 6:44PM Gaugamela said

I loved the introduction of both the factions!!

I got so pumped up for both of them. I like the scientific approach of the Defiants but the Guardian intro was so awesome...

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 8:08PM pixelmonkey said

Very doubtful all that was in game engine - alot looks like game assets rendered in Max or Maya and composited - some shots sure I believe it... maybe about 60% of the shots.

Looks interesting - but against WoW's machine... not sure how these guys are going to fair.... will have to wait and see - definately going to check it out when it hits.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 8:44PM redsolar said

Much better on the Guardian voice. I love the whole "gods of the vigil" part.

Posted: Dec 22nd 2010 1:26AM Bhima said

After trying out the game for one beta phase, I can say I truly enjoyed my limited time playing it. They get alot of things right: graphics, varied quests, interesting "talent" soul system that is perfect for an altoholic and a dynamic world that allows you to share the spoils with others around you without having to be partied up. I have to hand it to Trion, I think Rift will be a success.

My only concerns are: What does the end game look like and
will the game be better optimized, because right now, if you are playing wow on some old hardware don't expect to get anywhere near those frame rates with Rift.

WoW Archivist: Epics