Posted: Dec 20th 2010 2:49PM werewood said

Smedly did say they are up to an announcement soon. Jan 2011 is almost a certainty. NOTICE their site please ... preorders receipts are no longer accepted as beta invites.
Release is imminent. Their shortcoming currently are power sets. People will probably move more willingly from CoX and CO once they put in more power content.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 3:28PM Protoavis said

@werewood

Possibly, I think one of the short comings on that front though is the touting the powersets as different from each other and how it makes you a master of one power as their reason for not allowing users to pick powers from two sets (CoX) or from anywhere (CO) it's not uncommon to see someone running around with a fire/ice combo which is something DCUO is preventing, which is odd since the powers from one set to another are pretty much the same except for secondary effects.

There's just a lot more limitation on what you create in DCUO vs CO and CoX, those who are very still with those games is likely because of that customisation, so siphoning them off long term with the current set up doesn't seem particularly likely.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 5:19PM cerebrix said

@werewood

and pvp is a mess. forgot to mention that part

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 4:27PM BlackStratocaster said

Yes there are some issues that need to be addressed before this is released, but it's a pretty solid product. Not anywhere near as dismal and buggy as most MMO's getting released these days.
The reason this game will be successful isn't because it's just another super hero MMO, but it's completely different. This is probably a step in the right direction for the future of MMO's. Every other MMO is an exact copy and paste replica(aside from a VERY few). They all follow the same formula, they just take place in different worlds. The market has become so over saturated with the same old crap it's refreshing to see something new. I hope that in the future the mass of MMO's we have today will be gone forever, so the genre can move forward. I think anyone still amused by the MMO's currently on the market are way to easily entertained. I'm not saying DCUO is the key to all this, far from it, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 5:24PM ManaByte said

@BlackStratocaster Exactly. I'm in betas for other upcoming MMOs and after DCUO's combat; they're just boring WoW clones with a new skin or license.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 5:10PM ZenJitsu said

I'm still fuzzy about the 'innovation' in this game. I keep hearing it, but then no one ever goes into detail. It's certainly not the combat system, as other games have done it. Not customization, they've admitted their own limitations. Random mission drops from the thugs you beat up that lead to arcs? A logical step from the mission starters that CoH bad guys and CO civilians give the player.

There's no doubt the art direction is fantastic (I love Jim Lee's work), as the writing will probably be as well, with some of the comic writers they have onboard. But gameplay-wise, it's pretty much a beat-em up that lacks depth...not exactly something fresh and new to the genre.

Maybe I missed a few articles somewhere that introduced the genre-changing features, but I'm wary because as soon as the shiny and novelty of the setting wears off, it needs to rely on compelling gameplay/story/depth to keep the players going.

I was looking forward to the game a few months ago, but now I'm not sure. Beta testers do seem to enjoy it, but it's still the honeymoon stage.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 5:19PM ManaByte said

@ZenJitsu Aside from DDO, Darkfall, and Vindictus other MMOs don't have combat like DCUO. And those three don't do it as well.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 11:48PM alucard3000 said

@ZenJitsu @Manabyte lol Vindictus does it way better for starters DCUO is actiony but guess what it has an auto target feature so it is actually closer to most other mmo's than the 3 you listed.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 6:45PM Lenn said

A Dutch online retailer has it for 14 January.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 6:58PM Nibbana said

This is a pretty game that has about a month of playability as it stands. You can get to max level in a week, run through the group content, and then what? Run it through again on the other side (hero/villain). I pre-ordered this, and now regret that decision. I will enjoy playing this for the month that comes with the game, but after that it'll be reaching max crafting in every tradeskill in Fallen Earth until SWTOR comes out.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 9:02PM Tizmah said

@Nibbana I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Don't we complain about this every single MMO release? I think we outta just deal with it right now and expect it.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 1:48AM Furdinand said

Maybe DCUO isn't geared towards the power gamers that live to farm mats for hours on end or to spend 20 hours in the same raid every week for months on the off chance that, maybe, possibly, hopefully, that epic trinket will drop?

Personally, if I get 8 hours of entertainment a month from DCUO, it'll be cheaper than going to 8 hours of movies, reading 8 hours of graphic novels, or buying 8 hours of new music.

I don't need a game to be a second job, I need a game to be fun.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 8:24AM The Protagonist said

@Furdinand

Well said.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 12:17PM Anatidae said

@Furdinand Just as long as you don't pay a subscription. I think that is the problem with many MMOs. They want to milk continuous revenue without providing continuous entertainment and content.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 1:33PM Scarecrowe said

It was indeed NOT a pleasant surprise for me. I didn't think the game was on track for a June release date much less a January one. As a beta tester, I have cancelled my two Amazon pre-orders.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 2:12PM HiGHPLAiNS said

I have yet to witness and fully completed mmorpg at launch. You name the game and I will dig up some issues that it did have at launch.

Were in an age where players expect mmorpg's to be completed on day 1 just like the non mmorpg's (Dragon Age, Call of Duty line and so on).

I too expect my mmo to be completed on day 1, but it isn't happening. The games today are high budget and the company needs to see a return in profit as projected. Unfortunately this is the way it is.

What's it take to make a mmorpg these days, 30 million plus?