Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:30AM MW2772 said

My most memorable quest was for Ghoulbane back in EQ1. It was the first quest I completed that had a substantial reward. It took a week, and I worked a little bit towards it each day. I still recall the excitement of the moment at completion and actually felt pride when wielding the blade because of what went in to obtaining it. Nevermind that it was a mediocre sword at the time...it was something I earned! I've not felt that same level of excitement in an MMO since.

The specifics of the quest, are lost in the cobwebs of my mind, however, for those interested: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=312

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:42AM kasapina said

Runescape's Dragon Slayer. I remember how me and my classmates got together, trying to find out the answers to the riddles that needed to be solved for the quest. I also remember how epic the battle felt, especially with the high levels cheering me on while they were watching the battle - one of them even gave me healing food as I was restarting the encounter, since the battle was pretty hard.

Also, Murder Mystery - another quest from the same game, you had to solve a murder case. It was awesome, and it was also the first quest I just couldn't solve despite all the efforts I put into it. In the end, I used the wiki, but it was pretty epic nonetheless.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:53AM kuyzat said

Has to be EQ1's class specific epic quest, in my case the enchanter's snake staff. Took me many many many hours over perhaps a month, and it was impossible to do alone. In fact some parts it took a whole guild. There was tough competition for some spawns and so I spent some sleepless nights just staring at the spawn spot with an alt character waiting for a several day random duration spawn to appear. One failed attempt at the hardest mob required the whole guild to clear a raid zone and just wait to get lucky for 8 hours. The mob didnt spawn. Some of us fell asleep at the keyboard. I finally got it and it helped me and the guild immensely as I could now cast one of my main buffs with zero mana cost. I was so happy and to this day I feel a deep sense of gratitude to my guild mates, who I don't even know anymore, for putting so much effort into my quest. Thank you Essence of Darkness, you were true friends and will never be forgotten.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 9:17AM Pingles said

Actually, it was just recently for me.

The F2P Zentia has a quest that I hate to spoil so I'll just vaguely describe it as a search for an NPCs lost love that leads to an unexpected, sweet conclusion.

It was truly touching.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 9:21AM Syesta said

FFXI
"One to be Feared" aka The Airship Battle.
After months of making our way through the Chains of Promathia quests, it all came to a head with this mission. There's such an epic air, the difficult boss fights, your character getting the choice to challenge Bahamut's authority in Vana'diel. Such a terrific quest.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 10:15AM GaaaaaH said

From Guild Wars. An NPC is fears that he will die so players are sent to try to change his destiny....but he ends up drowning as a result.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 11:00AM AlamoeJones said

There is, or I guess was, a class specific Warrior quest in WoW that ended in the award of a really nice two handed sword. It took for freaking ever to grind out all the stuff needed to craft it and to kill a really high level mob, but I made a friend along the way and kept that sword for a very long time after earning it!

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 11:22AM Aardvarkk said

I'd have to say the epic quest line in LotRO, the whole line of them has a great story that makes you feel completely immersed, not to mention having a great plot.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 11:56AM Khalus said

I'd have to say the whole of FFXI quests & missions. Even though many of them became very frustrating and neigh a miracle to surpass, each one holds very dear to me because of the rich lore and epic {in-game engine} storyline cut-scenes!

The one that always comes to mind, due to its hilarity is the Star Onion Brigade: Truth, Justice, and the Onion Way! {Just the first of many quests of that chain linked below...}

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 12:45PM Naphilia said

Any of the EQ1 epic quests. The Coldain Ring questline including the zonewide fight.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 12:46PM Wisdomandlore said

Getting my White Mage artifact armor in FFXI. It took 2 months, a couple raids, and tons of death, but I finally got the whole thing. MMOs today just don't have the same kind of epic quests (and I probably don't have the same kind of patience :P).

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 1:30PM Egobrane said

Chains of Promathia from FFXI has so far above any other questline in terms of epic scale and difficulty that I can't even compare it.

If I had to choose an individual part.. it'd either be the airship fight or three paths.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 1:34PM Henthor said

"The Hunter's Charm" quest series that led me to one of the most beautiful areas in wow, Azshara!
Once the greatest night elf metropolis, The city fell in the War of the Ancients. Fascinated me a lot the local history connected to the naga, Highborne and the myth of dark portal buried under the sea; traveled enough to find a party in a position to introduce me to the sunken temple later in the quest chain and make the whole content but worth the effort, not only I lived the story but because I made great friends along the way. pity that now the guys do not want that kind of immersion;)

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 3:05PM Shazzie said

Memorable in a bad way: The Coldain Prayer Shawl in EQ1, simply for how many times I *failed* on the final combine and lost *everything*, having to start all over, again. And again. And again. And again, aaargh.

Memorable in a good way: The EQ1 class epic quests for my Necro and my Rogue. For having so few quests, EQ1 was good at making memorable ones. In other games, LotRO's epic questline has so very many stand-outs, though some of my faves are the Moria ones where you 'go back in the past' and play a Dwarf during the fall of Moria. 'We Cannot Get Out' will always be one of my top memories.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 3:12PM MMOaddict said

For me it's the new Cataclysm/Shattering storyline quests in WoW. The ones that involve phasing and the landscape changing based on your quest completion. Especially Stonetalon Mountains Horde quest line. Amazing stuff and super fun.

That and the quest to kill 1000 gnomes as a giant rolling ball of fire in Uldum. It should be made into a daily it is THAT fun.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 10:39AM GeneralStobo said

@MMOaddict

"What is means to be Horde" was definetly one of my favorites. Stonetallon was a great zone to play in Cata.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 3:50PM Dumac said

Jatoro Musagi has been kidnapped and you must rescue him... The quest has everything a quality quest should, its long, has an involved objective, encourages group and tactical play, the reward is nice (back when 500 gold was still nice), and it even has a plot twist.

I was a new player and i was amazed by it, and it served well to introduce me to the most important concepts of Guild Wars.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 4:58PM nc drake pilot said

Council of Light from Gemstone III. And then trying to figure out how to get out of Council chambers on Teras Isle after using Sign of Darkness.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 7:53PM Saerain said

EverQuest 2 is very far from my favorite MMO thus far, but most memorable for me is the quest given by the Erudite on the plateau just outside Qeynos, which rewards the recall spell. It's not so much the quest itself as the Erudite's greeting that really stuck with me. It set a mood I didn't expect and never again encountered in EQ2.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:59PM Kaemin said

I remember an armor set quest chain in Vanguard where i was taking people shoving them in meat grinders and packing them in barrels as part of a government welfare food service program. I wish I just made that up, but i didn't.

Betawatch: August 23 - 29, 2014