Posted: Dec 19th 2010 12:52PM kasapina said

I felt lost the first time I played runescape, and while that was more than 4 years ago, I still remember the sense of adventure I felt. I remember that after walking in one direction, I found a mine, and realized that I need pick. After that, I walked back, bought a pickaxe, but I couldn't find the mine again - back then, the world map had to be opened in another window, and I didn't have it opened. I found an adventuring partner and we set out in a random direction in search of a bank, only to be attacked by highwaymen. We defeated them and obtained their capes as a reward. We didn't find the bank by the end of that play session, but it was good fun and I still play with that random player from time to time to this day.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 1:11PM Russell Clarke said

Didn't your mother ever tell you never, EVER to play on rail tracks?

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 1:39PM Haleth said

Runescape is such a great game. Ever since I started playing I have spent countless hours just exploring! The quests have great storylines, the world is endless yet fun! Membership is worth it. No game has PvP like Runescape. Mini-games such as Castle Wars haven't been recreated by any MMO out there. Simplicity is key. If you make a game fun, people will play it. Runescape doesn't have endless grinding on mobs, but they do have quests that put you all over the map. Monkey madness is a quest that puts you on an island where monkeys of every type rule. You have to hide in the bushes and run from patrolling monkeys in order not to get caught. Try this game sometime!

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 2:41PM gamebynight said

The problem with Runescape is that it gets exponentially more grindy the longer you play it.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 2:55PM Sorithal said

@gamebynight

Yeah... that's really the annoying thing that turned me off on it.

Though if I get bored of other games I play, I might just make a completely new account and mess around from the start again.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 4:49PM Beau Hindman said

@gamebynight Babyface: I'm curious, how long did you play for, and what activities did you participate in? The way I play, this game is perfect. I seriously stumble around and find things to do.

But, I do have to say that I noticed that, as I became interested in one activity, I would find myself sort of grinding it a bit. For example, the agility course was a blast but I found myself growing a little tired of it after I hit 20.

What I found was that the game offers so *many* different things to level and explore that all I had to do was take a break from one activity to go find another. It stays fresh.

But then again, ask me in a year! lol

Beau

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 7:19PM (Unverified) said

@gamebynight
Unfortunaely, it's true. After 60, most skills are really annoying to level up. After 80, it gets to a point where things that get you excited are things that help you to more efficiently click through the leveling process. At 92, you're halfway there. (For those who haven't played, 99 is the maximum level.)

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 7:37PM Elio said

@(Unverified) This is true but is slowy trying to be dealt with. Jagex has talked about filling in those gaps during the higher levels and they are slowly working on the skills to do this. As of now though most of the time getting through those higher levels is driven by personal goals to get the skill to a certain level or get 99.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:25PM gamebynight said

@Beau Hindman I played for a few months a couple years ago and focused on the market aspects of it. There is so. much. chopping. wood. At the time, I was trying to have a little business with my brother. You're right though, there's so much to do and Jagex has really done great with it over the years. They're notably much different than where they began and I'm sure a LOT has changed since I left. My brother still plays religiously and complains about how much grinding he has to do, though, so it sounds like that's still going pretty strong.

To each their own, though. The grindiness we found might not impact another player at all. I'd encourage people to at least try it and see for themselves. It's no where near as bad as some people would have you believe.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 9:25PM (Unverified) said

@Elio
My favorite activity in the game was questing, and when I had done em all, there wasn't much else to do. I loved a lot of things in the game such as construction, but by the time you are 85+ in a skill, getting a few levels for something that's exciting really doesn't appeal, considering that five levels is a few weeks if you're not lifeless. That, and getting the money required for certain skills, only to have to grind the hell to level them is rather demoralizing. If not for the grind, I would've loved RS. (That and when I quit, magic was no good except to complement other skills.) RS still has the best quests of any mmorpg I know of.

Posted: Dec 21st 2010 5:46PM Elio said

@(Unverified) I know what you are talking about. I recently got burnt out from grinding and have been trying out other games. I think I am ready to return to Runescape now.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 4:12PM Dustystrike said

Runescape definitely deserves more respect than what it gets from the MMO community so I'm glad to see you guys stepping up and saying something nice!.
I've played hundreds of MMO's but the feeling I got from playing Runescape as my first MMO is still untouchable by any other game.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 6:47PM thud said

The tech behind Runescape is some of the coolest around. All of the textures (I'm talking terrain, plants, props, armors and clothing, etc...) are procedurally generated meaning there are no premade image files to bloat your browsers cache.

I've long since moved on from runescape but it will always have a special place in my memories.

Posted: Dec 20th 2010 12:22PM Beau Hindman said

@thud I have no idea what you just said. hehe Can you explain the tech a bit? Sounds cool, and I wondered how it is done.

Beau

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 7:30PM Elio said

Good read Beau. Glad that you enjoyed your time in Runescape, your article reminds me of my first days in Runescape. Those first days of playing were some of the best. I remember getting lost between Falador and Barbarian Village and getting stuck in Draynor Manor only to be slayed by a vampire.

Although a lot of people complain about the graphics of Runescape I have to say that I really like them and have liked them even before the HD update. There is just something really unique about them. I am glad that you addressed the community, and the developers have touched on the whole "isn't this a game for kids" over the past few months and continue to try and clear up that it is not just a game for kids.

However great the game is I do have to agree that sometimes you can get stuck in a grind and start to get bored. But this can be easily solved by training another skill, participating in activities (mini-games), doing quests, or doing one of the thousands of other things to do in Runescape. If that doesn't cure the boredom jumping to another game for a while and coming back to Runescape usually helps me find my passion for Runescape again even after playing for 6 years.

Well I have typed much more than I planned to but I want to end with saying that with Runescape's 10-year anniversary coming up I am really excited to see what is in store for the game this coming year.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:04PM rgolch said

• Half a heart
Does Massively ever say something bad about a game? I mean, I'm just sayin' .....

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 8:35PM Nucleon said

I've dabbled in Runescape here and there, but never really got into it. Is it *really* a multiplayer game though?

Often I felt I was in a game world with lots of people playing their own single player game rather than playing *with* people. I know that accusation could be lobbed at the 100lb gorrilla, but really it only holds water until max level where you need people for all activities.

Does Runescape ever really become a multiplayer game where you actually play with other players, or is it just a game where you show other players the things you've done yourself =p.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 9:09PM thud said

@Nucleon

plenty of multiplayer content.

pvp, some quests, clan wars, castle wars, pest control, and most of the other minigames too.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 9:29PM (Unverified) said

@Nucleon
Mostly minigames. Still, minigames are huge in RS. My least favorite thing that has contributed to "Soloscape" is the trade balance requirement. Sure, I know, it drove goldsellers out of business (mostly), but it really lessened the community feeling.
"Hey, bud? Leveling construction? Let me loan you all those stacks of oak planks I've got in my bank. I really want to see your house when you're done. It's already sweet."
...Oh, sorry, can't. You'll have to fend for yourself.

Posted: Dec 19th 2010 9:39PM lee3821 said

I still LOVE runescape music. Sure, I tend to prefer other music to it, but it manages to be simple and still carry the feel of the place across very well. It isn't usually too distracting, so I often use it for study music at low volume if silence really isn't cutting it. I really wish JaGeX would sell all of its music. I would gladly pay $30 or more for so many tracks.
| 1 | 2 |