Posted: Dec 14th 2010 11:22PM Wizardling said

I just find it sad and pathetic that people still cheat. I wish people banned for RMT would be publicly shammed. More mocking, less giving a crap about the feelings of these arseholes, please.

RMT trading still happens because the consequences are not nearly severe or humiliating enough. Once a credit card it used to pay for a cheater's account, it should be perma-banned. Likewise other unique identifying info. GMs should be patrolling common channels constantly, and scripts should be looking for suspect text and passing it along to GMs for review. Etc, etc. And once caught, cheaters should be [virtually] strung up on Eve's site where all can see and freely mock.

I'm also tempted to suggest every single direct recipient of tainted ISK should also be banned, though maybe for only a month in that case.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 12:04AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Wizardling

The RMT explosion in EVE is mostly due to CCP's inability to protect the data in the game client.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 12:46AM Sean D said

@SgtBaker1234556

That's like saying it's your fault your car was stolen because you left the keys in it with the door unlocked. It also implies that the thief is justified in stealing the car. I strongly disagree with this sort of thinking.

RMT occurs because there are those people who cannot achieve anything, in a game or in life, without searching for and exploiting the weaknesses of others, just as Wizardling said.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 12:58AM Brendan Drain said

@SgtBaker1234556 Could you explain that in a little more depth please? I'm always interested in hearing people's stances on important issues like this, but I'm not sure I follow you. Exactly what data in the game client isn't being protected by CCP and how does it lead to an explosion of RMT?

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 1:19AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Sean D

I'm not saying I'm disagreeing really. Botting has totally ruined EVE - it's really rotten game in the core these days (some might argue it's always been, but I can't comment on that). This is one of the main reasons I stopped after years of 0.0 alliance service.

I'm not saying it's *justified* - and I really don't want to go into car analogies, so let's just say the phenomena exists nevertheless - but if you make exploiting harder the amount of perpetrators will decrease.

CCP has made exploiting easier by enabling the client to "know" everything the server knows, without protecting that data. So the amount of botters has gone through the roof, because it's trivial to write a bot (previously you had to do it by pixel mapping the screen, which is clunky)

RMT botters who sell ISK are one thing - if they get enough cash to buy a summer house in Italy - good on them! I don't really care about people who buy illegal ISK either - a PLEX (legal way to buy ISK) does the same thing really from my point of view, it just costs couple of bucks extra. I personally don't really care where the real money ends up.

What I do hate though are the PvP repair bots who never miss a target broadcast, never miss a rep cycle. The bots that can warp to you even if you're sitting cloaked in the system - and the tradebots who play 0.01 ISK wars in Jita - *that* affects my gameplay and *my* fun.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 1:21AM SgtBaker1234556 said

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 2:13AM Valkesh said

@Wizardling

In this case though, does it really matter? All CCP did was make RMT "legal" by instituting it themselves, so they would see the proceeds for it. PLEX is literally no different than buying isk from third party gold farmers as far as cheating goes, it just doesn't carry the same risk of credit card fraud that tends to go with it.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 2:17AM Hummuluis said

Regarding mining bots - I'm tired of seeing the same bots in the same systems, after weeks or months go by. I've personally gathered 100% proof on groups of bots, petitioned it in, and was told they would pass it along to get it verified on the server end and proper action taken. Weeks, months later, the same people are still botting it up. Who ever works that department, either needs help or just take care of it a bit faster. Seriously.

They mention the info provided by players doesn't matter, they must verify it on server end - even though my group gathers videos and 100% proof and shoots it in to them. Just recently I sent videos and screens of 5 characters of someone bot mining in the same corp. When you convo each character, and they accept, dock and log off instantly - and each character does this perfectly the same and is caught on video.. come on. Give me a break. They are still out there, weeks later.

CCP just needs to find more people to handle that area.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 2:48AM Unverfied B said

"One of CCP's highest priorities is educating players in the dangers of RMT, its negative effects on the game and the alternative of trading in PLEX."

RMT is RMT is RMT.

There is no difference in who you pay RL $ for ingame cash, paying CCP instead of [insert nation here] hackers does nothing to prevent the damage this does to the game and it's integrity.

If CCP wanted to fight RMT they could do so by tightening security (hello python injection), fixing the economy balance and making game mechanics less bot-able and more interesting (like well the exploration-based mining that was suposed to replace static belts years ago)

But they don't do any of that, simply because they don't REALLY care about RMT, they care that the money is not entering their pockets.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 7:51AM Dread3d said

@Unverfied B
well of course their worried about money in there pockets why else would they have made plex able to leave a station and go KABOOM .... ever time a plex goes pop thats free money for ccp since nothing has been gain for your $15.

all plex ever did was set the RL $ to isk transfer rate.

on top of that if you buy isk and ccp catchs you its removed 2 fold and you end up instead of being up X amount of isk your out X amount of isk which then prompts you to buy more to get rid of your negative wallet, so then you buy plex and ccp wins. just removing it would be enough in my opinion and they shouldn't be Exploiting people that are exploiting the RMT, just seems like a double standard.

P.S. i have never personally bought isk in any form other then plex but have know ppl that have and so have been punished in what i think to be a little bit too much favoring CCP's Wallet

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 8:45AM Aganazer said

I'd imagine its hard to detect some bots in Eve since the game is so AFK friendly. Especially with mining its easy to start up the mining lasers and just walk away for 10 minutes, come back, retarget, then walk away again. How do you tell the difference between that and an external botting program that does the same thing?

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 10:47AM Hummuluis said

@Aganazer - Most of the time mining bots will have conversations disabled. If they don't, you can normally convo them and the bot after done mining, will accept the convo but not say anything, dock, and log off. We've caught mining bots with convos not disabled and got plenty of evidence of them botting it up since they didn't obviously set it up properly or take the proper precautions. Another thing is, you can seriously log in any time of the day and the bot character should be mining still. Obviously mining is completely boring, and I can't see people spending near 20 hours a day mining.. what ever happen to having a life? There's also other ways of spotting them, most of the time running a small shield booster, etc. Almost every higher system has bots. It's very sad.

Posted: Dec 15th 2010 10:43AM DrewIW said

SgtBaker is pretty dead on. Client vulnerabilities are the not-so-secret secret of 0.0 alliances. Even without them, things like h-bot logins are shared pretty freely. In the north, if moongoo isn't being used to pay for supercaps, it's being used to pay for rent in real life.

These bots are a bit harder to catch because sanctum-grinding is something everyone does, and these characters still engage in 0.0 pvp.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story