Posted: Dec 12th 2010 6:23PM anduz said

The first MMO you play prepare you for the next ones and while sandbox games probably have an advantage on both pvp and community because they're deeper into those aspects I doubt eve-online stands out in any particular way.

Having played ultima online and asherons call for a few years and a few months of shadowbane before picking up eve-online I've never really thought back to eve-online in later MMOs. Sometimes I'm annoyed I can't type in the name of an item/zone/character and have the game link it for me, but beyond that, not really. :p

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 6:32PM Brendan Drain said

@anduz I think this is probably the crux of it, that the first MMOs we get really into teach us things that can apply to many other MMOs. When I really think about it, years before EVE Online I was margin trading in Runescape.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 8:46PM Xocolatl said

@anduz
Coming from Ragnarok Online and Counter-Strike 1.3, I can safely say that I can play WoW (raiding and PvP) without using addons.

MMOs do make players better at other MMOs..but most MMOs (especially the western ones) won't teach you to be able to manage 60+buttons). Saying Eve is the pinnacle of MMOs is beyond dumb.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 6:25PM Rindon said

Only problem I have ever had with Eve is the time based skill gains. I am a person who likes to power game from time to time. This is severely severely limiting to my type of game play.
Probably is the reason I never really picked the game up for more than a few months at a time.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 6:40PM Rindon said

• 1 heart
@Rindon er back on topic. I dont really think it does make you better at other games. It is a completely different beast in its own right.

PvP: Getting gate raped jumping around in low sec is all that seemed to happen in that game when I played. Doesnt take any skill to kill someone 3 or 4 vs 1 or 2.
Organizations: Any Guild/company/alliance/organization is basically the same thing. People in power delegate power to the ones below them and organize things to do.
Player Run Market: Every sandbox type game I have played has had its own player run economy in a sense. Since most things in a sandbox need to be gotten and made from another player they get to dictate what everything sells at.
I mean, UO excelled in all three of those things much better than Eve does. Open PVP with out the ability to gate rape. Player run towns, guild towns, etc, etc. Player run market since almost everything that was decent in the game had to be made by a player.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 9:04PM GaaaaaH said

@Rindon

For the PvP example you gave, there are many opportunities to learn on both sides.

On the attacking side, there are skills relating to organizing time and attendance, locating a suitable spot, ensuring that guns can be tanked, target selection and that roles are performed (pointing etc) once the target is selected.

On the defense side, there is planning a route that takes into account potential attacks, working as a team to scout out safe routes, forming a fleet in order to have protection, knowledge of your ships capabilities and fitting or maneuvering to be able to escape if you do hit a camp.

Or, y'know, crying and complaining about it without learning anything from it.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 7:09PM Addfwyn said

Honestly, I don't think it necessarily makes you better in other MMOs, simply because it is radically different than most other MMOs. For some people that is a good thing, for some people that is a bad thing. That's not specifically a subject I'll address here.

There's some basics you learn in any MMO that can be applicable across the board, for instance FFXI shaped the way I deal with many of my mmos, making me a more patient player and making me better at handling the market. (I was making a living shipping goods between cities in FFXI long before I tried EVE).

In general, I'd say that EVE has less of these qualities than other MMOs. As a result, you probably learn the least from EVE that are applicable in other MMOs. Even games like WoW taught me a lot I could apply to Aion, the same cannot necessarily be said for EVE.

On the other hand, every MMO can teach you bad habits too that you have to unlearn when you play other MMOs. FFXI taught me that nothing was soloable, a habit that WoW had to break me of. Eve taught me that every player you will meet is a jerk that wants to screw you over, which was the polar opposite in a game like FFXI where a total strange would be more than happy to give you a helping hand. EVE is overall a different beast, and I just don't feel that a lot of the skillsets in it are applicable across the board.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 7:40PM DeadlyAccurate said

I can't say it's made me a better player, but it's definitely made me a more tolerant one. Ninja that mine? No problem. I'll go on to the next one. Steal the boss I was just about to attack? OK, I'll wait. Empty the area of mobs because you're bored? I'll just go do another quest then.

Everything is just sort of muted in comparison.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 8:01PM Streamweaver said

I'm not sure it MAKES a better player or there is any causative argument.

It seems to make more sense to me that players who enjoy Eve are generally looking to put more thought into a game and enjoy doing so. This is simply a filter to players who enjoy thinking more about that specific hobby. In general those are gong to be your more analytical and aware players, but I don't know that Eve Causes that.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 8:23PM Fausts said

Better at other MMO's!? I always thought Eve was the place over-the-hill MMO players go to retire.

When I first tried Eve I thought it was boring and complicated. Now that my fingers are not so fast on the keyboard as they once were, I find boring and complicated more to my style.

Posted: Dec 13th 2010 12:35AM xBludx said

@Fausts

This is funny. Probably because there is some truth to it.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 9:13PM godlyhalo said

One of the reasons I liked this article because I believe the quote at the start of this article comes from a friend of mine who has been playing EVE almost since launch. Aside from that it is entirely true. I find myself using strategies I learned in EVE not only in MMO's, but in any game I play. Market manipulation and the strategies I learned from null sec trading have helped me out in various situations. EVE forces you to make well thought out plans, communicate with other people and teaches you how to lead or follow directions for the greater good.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 9:17PM killroy said

I have RL friends that play WoW, and I have been told to stop talking trash. I have to check my elitist attitude on occasion. But really, here is what I think:

If you try EVE and can't handle it, well, we EVE players have an opinion as to why that is. It's no secret that we have an elitist attitude, it's also no secret that virtually no children play EVE.

I go and play WoW on occasion with friends, and it's fun in it's own way. The challenge level, however, is just a joke, my sense of reward is non-existent. It's easier, so yeah, I agree with you Nyphur.

Off-topic:
Also, I would suggest Massively run an article touching on the shelf life of EVE. One thing that ran through my mind as I played EVE in the first few months was that I honestly see this game going strong 20 years from now.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 10:28PM xBludx said

@killroy

I am playing WoW now because I don't have time to play Darkfall.

I don't know if playing EVE or DF can make you better at other games. But it really makes WoW SEEM a lot easier.

And I have raided in WoW on hard mode. There is a certain kind of complexity to doing that, but with repetition, teamwork, and boss mods, it seems easier than what's required in Darkfall.

Basically the easy things are tab targeting, not having a real death penalty (full loot in EVE and DF), mainly consensual pvp (even on pvp servers), etc. So games like WoW require a lot less intense focus (unless your fighting a big boss - maybe). Also the UI seems way easier to grasp than the DF one.

All that said, each game is totally different. If you want a glass of wine, there is no substitute. Sometimes you just want a cold ice tea. They are just different things.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 9:36PM (Unverified) said

better mmo players? doubtful.
better excel users? more likely.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 10:08PM Jade Effect said

• 1 heart
Another feel-good article about Eve Online. There isn't even any attempt to balance the article by looking at how playing Eve Online might make you a worse player in other MMOs. It's cheerleading: rah-rah-rah! Eve players are awesome! rah-rah-rah!

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 11:41PM Brendan Drain said

@Jade Effect This is an opinion piece.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 10:29PM Bramen said

Yes. Eve makes you a better player at other mmos.

Posted: Dec 13th 2010 12:17AM Dblade said

• 1 heart
No, it does make them insufferable though.

Posted: Dec 13th 2010 6:47PM enamelizer said

@Dblade HAH! There is definitely some truth to this, the attitudes of my friends that still play EVE are unbearable when talking about MMOs. It warps your mind into thinking you are playing the one true holy grail of MMOs. I know it took me awhile to shake it and to get back to having fun gaming again.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM