Posted: Dec 10th 2010 6:26PM Lenn said

You left out the awesome-from-a-certain-angle-but-hilariously-ridiculous-from-another Ranger's Mask.

It's strange, really. Middle-earth is supposed to be a representation of Europe pre-Middle Ages, yet the hats are very Renaissance-y.

There are some great-looking pieces of headwear in the game, but I generally tend to choose not to display them, unless it's the Traveller's Hood from the store.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 6:29PM Infamous Nefarious said

I can agree with everything said here. But at the same time I LIKE some of the goofy hats because at my core I'm not an overwhwelmingly serious person. I CERTAINLY don't take myself all that seriously.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 6:29PM syklonis said

And while your at it, can you explain why the NPC's texturing looks better than the actual player models? The player models in LOTRO are abysmal! The game's art director should have been fired day 1.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 6:38PM Liltawen said

Aw, I liked that Fall Festival mask.I use it to scare orks.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 10:24PM jeremys said

This article is awesome.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 11:09PM Ocho said

Do NOT google "chicken play". HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 12:07AM Machinator said

I *hate* the hats AND helmets in LotRO. There was only like 2 helmets I'd ever wear. I no longer play.

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 1:35AM mispoem said

LOL loved this and totally agree about the goofy hats. Least the rest of the gear is fairly decent looking :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 10:37AM Delvie said

hehe - One of my characters wears the first hat (the lampshade) proudly dyed in indigo. It matches some bizarre dwarf outfit I got also dyed in indigo - and with her halberd she makes quite the statement - there again she's named Zani.

Now what is odd is how the dye jobs for the above combination turned out, mainly indigo with brown/tan trim, and lots and lots of gold/white highlights. You've got to love the outfitters - first I dyed the hat then ran around trying on various outfits died indigo until I found one that matched the silliness of the hat.

Another hat that is just plain bizarre is the beekeepers one from the shire.

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 11:02AM Daedalus1969 said

I hate the hats and helmets as well, they are just so silly. Im glad Turbine allows you to turn off the visibility. I still want the protection, but I'd rather have my head look bare than have a dunce cap on!

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 11:26AM pcgneurotic said

Funny thing is, some of them are quite similar to the winter hats you still commonly see in Northern Europe, Scandinavia and even parts of Central Europe. One that I see a lot is the tall, conical hat with the ear flaps. Chics love all that stuff.

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 12:45PM Ryukan said

Played this game for years, recently got tired of it and moving onto new MMO; the hats and helmets in this game by far look stupid. I can't understand how the concept artists could design this stuff and not think it looks dumb as hell. Thankfully there is the "Do not show helms" option. Nothing kills the immersion in a game by seeing a hat that looks like a lampshade with dingleberries hanging from it.

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 4:15PM Aardvarkk said

I love this game but the guys/gals who designed the hats need to be shot. Nice write up on them, gave me a good laugh :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 5:48PM gildhur said

I almost never wear hats on my characters. 1) Because they're almost all completely ridiculous looking. 2) Because I prefer that my character be seen and not be some anonymous hat-person.

I appreciate the research done to create "realistic" headgear, but that doesn't make most if it look any less silly in a modern game.

The dwarf-masks, however, are straight out of the lore. There is a bit from the Silmarillion about frightening masks being used in a couple battles to dishearten opponents.

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 11:00PM ddavidt said

That teddy bear hat a hunter gets for killing yellowfang in the old forest.

Why isn't it a wolf helmt?

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 1:18PM cowboyhugbees said

I like the grandma hat! I wear it with my Dwarven robe when I'm trudging through the snowy valleys around Thorin's Hall. Besides, it smells of gingerbread and overbearing rose perfume.

Posted: Dec 12th 2010 5:34PM milkpudding said

This is a brilliantly written article. It makes my day.

Posted: Dec 16th 2010 5:29PM jastani said

Haha I complain about LOTRO's headgear from time to time, too.

I don't care what their intentions are. How about taking some creative liberties and try to make the hats look cool? After playing this game for a few years, I've seen my fair share and the number of dorky, embarrassing hats disturbingly far outweighs the cooler ones.

Not sure if Turbine thinks it's low priority,what with the number of hooded cloaks and whatnot hiding them most of the time, but I tihnk they should really re-evaluate 90% of the designs. Maybe even spend some quality time looking at other games for some inspiration (of course, still keep it within the plausibility of the LOTR lore). I'd certainly wear them more often if they were awesome-looking. But as it stands, it's either make them invisible or use a hooded cloak.

Cloaks are sort of a problem too, but not as bad as the hats.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014