Posted: Dec 10th 2010 10:58AM Yarr said

Typical NCWest poor planning, go too far in one direction and now go too far back in the other. End result will be to drive away all the new players and returning players as the game turns back into a gank-fest. Instead of just gradually decreasing the buffs to see how things go, they pull yet another stupid move. That on top of a holiday event that only lasts one hour and if you aren't online then you don't get the item... they really do deserve the NCFail name most players give them. Such a shame, as the 2.1 patch is such a good move in the right direction, current Double XP event has been a blast with lots of players all over the place; now the game will go back to being a ghost town.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 12:28PM fauxcivility said

@Yarr If you're high enough to be playing in the regions that got their buffs removed you should be able to tank some PvP.

Frankly they already did a survey in-game about what they should do and I doubt these changes have nothing to do with the results of said surveys. It's rather presumptuous to think you know how much planning they did. :x

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 1:34PM Yarr said

@fauxcivility

The survey was done AFTER most of the people left Aion. While ganking wasn't the only reason people left, it played a huge part. Making decisions based on a survey where a good portion of the people responding are the very ones with twinked out griefers, that actually want to drive the majority of players away, is a pretty poor way to try to grow what is left of the player base.

I've got several mid to high level characters. In fact I have 7 that are mid-30s and up, and my poor ranger is the only one under 30, at level 29. I enjoy some PvP, but I also want to do quests and just grind mobs peacefully sometimes. Other times, I like to go hunting players or help defend. But getting constantly killed any time you leave an outpost is just stupid and drives all but the most persistent players to quit the game. We've already seen that it pretty much was the final straw for those players that thought the grind was too much but hadn't left yet.

Posted: Jan 8th 2011 12:16AM sploot said

@Yarr I think the 'un nerf' was poorly done. The lower area buff to help lower lev players means little when attacked by someone 5+levels higher, often in groups..
The temporary fix also returned areas that level 30ish to low-mid 40s quest in to pre nerf . I leveled and quested an alt up to the 'fix' and was surprised at how many players were in the area. Now its back to very few. I enjoy pvp when in the mood but I'd also like to be able to play the game...you know, quests explore, just wander and relax after a long day.

I defended Aion for a long time but I've had it and do not plan to re-sub when my current sub ends.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 11:15AM Utakata said

Wouldn't the best way to deal with this is have PvP servers?

...and still have Rifting on normal servers. But Rifters couldn't attack any player toon that's not flagged for PVP.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 12:12PM TheRealStupid said

As a casual player who enjoys a fun, challenging game, all I can say is ABOUT TIME!!

I really enjoyed playing Aion, but when rifting went away, the game became boring. Grinding out quests in Eltnen was unexciting and presented no challenge. With a -chance- of a rifter popping over the next hill, it kept the game exciting and tense.

This is the one change that may get me to re-open my Aion account!

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 12:39PM theSkillfull1 said

@TheRealStupid

I agree. I have great memories of the suspense that rifting brought. I would get ganked sometimes, and other times I would kill or fend off the attackers. I can see how some people might not like getting surprised by PvP, but I thought it was very cool. I'll have to log in and check it out.

Posted: Dec 11th 2010 12:01AM Dblade said

@TheRealStupid Thing is it got to the point where it happened all the time when I played. You'd go a few steps out of a city, some assassin would unstealth while you were fighting an enemy, and bam. Step out again, repeat.

The quests in Aion are pretty long and much more vulnerable to disruption, and they had a stealth penalty in kinah for travel and binding costs which could add up fast. I think they are going to do this and we'll just see the twinks come back and keep overpowering the newbies even with buffs.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 6:24PM Laguna said

Rifting in itself is quite fun but the problem isn't getting ganked or anything like that.

The problem is having absolutely no fighting chance whatsoever against these monster twinks that keep popping up.

I'm already above lv50 but some of my legionmembers are currently getting oneshotted in heiron without even noticing what hit them. I mean how is that any fun?

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 9:04PM Yarr said

Well, just got a survey saying they will be taking opinions in 1 week, instead of waiting a month. So I'll withdraw my comments on this for now. If they aren't going to fix the actual rifting, which it looks like they never will, then hopefully they can find some balance that will be fun for those wanting to rift (which in itself is okay), while letting people level / quest, and keeping the griefers under control.

Posted: Jan 8th 2011 12:37PM Yarr said

@sploot
Someone on the official forums suggested just having two channels for each area, one set as the game was originally, and a second with no PvP allowed (and letting people doing a SPY quest choose which channel when they rift in). I think that might be the only reasonable solution. Thing is the Aion devs in Korean probably will never make any changes like that, and all NCWest can do is make a few variable settings changes.

Posted: Jan 8th 2011 3:03PM sploot said

I saw the post to and agree there is little chance of it being implemented. Also suggested was a flag system where players could choose pvp or pve at log in. Battlegrounds as suggested would be great though, sigh. The pvp crowd is concerned that to many people would choose the option. Imo the game would be better served if it were to appeal to as many people as possible. New players are just getting stomped now and many are gone quickly. Not much fun to be cannon fodder.
One of the side effects of rifting is a near empty abyss. It seems people are choosing easy kills available through rifting. I still wander the Abyss on my 55 but I have stopped rifting on alts because I think its not good for the game...something I care less and less about.

The game itself is beautiful but thats not enough if people can't play it.

I have never played WOW but they were smart enough early on to fix ganking issues and like the game or not it is successful times 10. I'll be taking a second look at it soon and waiting for GW2.