Posted: Dec 7th 2010 5:47PM JonBuck said

Nice article. The Hero Cycle is so deeply ingrained in the human psyche I wonder if it's halfway instinctual. And as unoriginal as it may be, it's persisted so long because it *works*. Who knows how many thousands of years these stories were told around campfires before they were first written down?

BioWare's execution is mostly exceptional. I have both Mass Effects, and purchased KOTOR via Steam (though I've barely gotten started). I look forward to seeing what they do with the many class types in TOR.

Posted: Dec 7th 2010 5:51PM cowboyhugbees said

Act 1: Get your character up a tree.
Act 2: Throw rocks at him.
Act 3: Get him back down again.

Posted: Dec 7th 2010 6:12PM claytondora said

Great job there on the detailed breakdown of kotor into its mythic elements. I think it is a very good thing that bioware is aware and actively implementing storytelling elements that have made epics great since the time of homer. They stated that the point of their game was to capture the epic adventure feel of star wars with SWTOR, and I think going with the tried and true method of the epic is a fine a path as any to achieve that goal.

Posted: Dec 7th 2010 6:20PM Irem said

I'm glad that I reflexively click every time I see the word "BioWare," because while I'm not particularly interested in KOTOR, this was a really good read.

Posted: Dec 7th 2010 7:24PM Buzz Killington said

The BioWare games are all extremely similar, and I got that feeling after playing Mass Effect and especially Dragon Age. They're all fun, though.

I hope SWTOR doesn't feel too similar, although with an MMO I think it's unlikely to feel too much like their old games.

Posted: Dec 8th 2010 12:59AM TheDarkWayne said

I've always disliked the heroic cycle thing, in some respects it seems to fit, but others are just such a massive stretch that it seems pointless to even try to categorize them. Seriously, Canderous Ordo=shapeshifter? Come on. Especially with one like converting Ajunta Pall, not only does that seem like a pretty weak example, but that was a completely optional quest with several outcomes.

Posted: Dec 8th 2010 8:24AM Larry Everett said

@TheDarkWayne

I was taking the canon version of the game as the example here. And Ordo is the shapeshifter because of the lack of trust. Perhaps I should have explained that better.

Posted: Dec 8th 2010 7:52AM Clemalum07 said

I am just not sure on this game yet.... It seems like they are going to be charging a subscription for what is essentially a 1 player game.