Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:08PM shipwreck said

I am quite excited about this but, like any developer hyping their own game, I'll believe it when I play it.

I just want to have a good WAAAGH!! Is that too much to ask?

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:22PM KDolo said

@shipwreck

"I'll believe it when I play it"

You doubt the Will of the Emperor? Burn the Heretic!

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:09PM Pewpdaddy said

Good luck with this one... Man I hope they can deliver, looks really fun.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:17PM Sharuk said

I did not care about this game till I saw the trailer, then I was super hyped. Hopefully this delivers and so far it looks good.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:18PM Grumms said

I really hope that this game comes out to what they say it will.

The perfect mmo / mmo setting for me would be 40K.

Ugh, only about 2-3 more years to wait -___-

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:19PM (Unverified) said

I cant wait for this, sounds so epic.
Emperor be praised!

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:49PM Lateris said

I am really looking forward to tearing it up in this game. When they say "drop down" does that mean a loading screen? Tech question-

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 12:58PM Scrobes said

I hope they make the bolters sound something like this.. ;)

..at around the 20 seconds mark.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:00PM wjowski said

The more a developer talks shit about the competition, the less i care.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:09PM ScottishViking said

@wjowski Agreed. If your game is better, it will do better. Smack talk just sounds like an inferiority complex.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:11PM ScottishViking said

How the heck are they going to balance Titans with anything else in gameplay?

"Your Titan Plasma Destructor hits 500 enemies for 97 sextillion damage. You have attained the rank of: Warmaster."

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:21PM Jeromai said

Well, let's wait and see. It's nice that they're getting the visceral 'feel' of combat right first. That's the thing most MMO players doing most often after all.

But there's a lot more to an MMO besides actiony-combat and plenty of places to trip up and go wrong. (cf. Age of Conan - interesting take on combat, but shaky tech support on launch and itemization issues, not to mention confusion over whether it was catering to a PvE or PvP audience and how.)

WH40K is also a lot about the background fluff, or the lore and story aspect. If the storyline of the quests/missions don't reflect that - the twists, the lack of trust and betrayals, the xenophobia, the over-the-top dark grim everybody-at-each-other's-throats cos eternal vigilance is the price of being free from Chaos aspect, then you've just transplanted WoW in space.

Here, this planet is full of orks. Shoot 'em. This planet's overrun with eldar. Shoot them. Tyrannids in this sector, burn it all. Sure, it might work as a plot excuse to get to the action, which could very well be entertaining, but it's not really doing as much justice to the WH40K universe as it could.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:36PM Damn Dirty Ape said

This quote worries me:

"Then you'll go to your trainers and merchants, then drop down onto the over-world from orbit"

For some reason I read that and instantly thought 'instance driven lobby game'. Hope I'm wrong!

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:39PM Bhagpuss said

Combat is the part of MMOs I personally could do without. Of course fighting is integral to this particular I.P. but there's a lot more to the MMO genre than "the feeling of combat".

Best of luck to them if that's the part of the marketplace they're targetting, but it's only a part.

Posted: Dec 7th 2010 7:02PM Machinator said

@Bhagpuss

Be a techpriest and repair ancient relic powerfists for your space marine allies then?

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:46PM Gaugamela said

When they said the game had only 2 factions in an IP where everyone is at everybody throats I discarded the possibility of getting hyped for it.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 1:58PM jealouspirate said

I really love the WAR40K Universe, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. A lot of companies have talked the talked without being able to walk the walk.

Getting visceral, fast-paced combat is a good start for the IP though.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 2:42PM HiGHPLAiNS said

I can't wait!

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 2:48PM pcgneurotic said

Colour me horny for this one.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 3:14PM JoeH42 said

Sounds like a good theory to me. Certainly from a business standpoint I can see where it's a good idea to not try to beat other MMOs at their own game. We've got plenty of games with the same feel to their combat, it seems effective to try something different. One thing I like about Fallen Earth is that it is more of a FPS. I suck at FPSers but it's nice to know that when I lose at PvP it's because the other player was a good shot, not because they have arena gear.
And I LOVE Warhammer 40k, hope they do it justice.
"Strike from the sky brothers!"