Trion Worlds' upcoming RIFT has taken the MMO scene by storm, even on the eve of World of Warcraft's Cataclysm expansion. Although RIFT's NDA demands our official silence, we know we're not alone in our excitement, based on how quickly our last round of VIP beta keys went (500 gone in 20 minutes!) and the flurry of comments you all left on posts about the new beta trailer, the King's Breach dungeon reveal, and the Ubisoft publishing deal. RIFT may not be a WoW-killer, but it certainly seems to be the next big thing as it heads into closed beta.
Join me past the break for a look at this week's other top stories!
- EA confirms The Old Republic won't be launched before April 2011
Millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
- EVE Online: Incursion boosts into stage one
The first phase of EVE's Incursion expansion was launched.
- And He said unto them: "Rename The Bible Online"
FIAA's Bible-based MMO allowed players to get in on the rechristening.
- Smedley says EQII players aren't WoW players but may see their own Cataclysm
SOE's president offered his thoughts on EverQuest II and World of Warcraft.
- Issue 19 goes live in City of Heroes
After months of waiting, players finally got to peek at the new Incarnate system.
- Masthead shows off Earthrise beta video
We got a long look at the upcoming sci-fi sandbox's gameplay and UI.
- Steampunk MMO ARGO Online launches teaser site
The German-based game revealed it will fill the steampunk MMO void.
- Pirates of the Burning Sea now sailing the free-to-play seas
SOE's pirate-flavored MMO officially transformed into a F2P game.
- Secret World Twitter accounts offer possible clues
We pondered over Funcom's recent TSW tweets.
- ArenaNet talks energy and group dynamics in Guild Wars 2
Key ANet devs discussed gameplay development for GW2.
- Gamer pays a buttload of cash to play an MMO on a huge screen
Is this how you'd spend 15,000 bucks?
- The Road to Mordor: Bits 'n' pieces
Justin examined the recent Lord of the Rings Online patch.
- Free for All: Revisiting the rules of immersion
Beau discussed immersion and how to apply it to MMOs.
- Asheron's Call rolls out December content update
The venerable old MMO Asheron's Call received a packed new patch.
- Countdown to Cataclysm starts now!
WoW Insider rounded up the most important Cataclysm stuff you need to know.
- Low-level dungeon quest experience nerfed
New level adjustments hoped to balance overall questing pace.
- New Cataclysm battleground brackets unveiled
Level brackets will be shortened and older battlegrounds will be playable sooner.
- Account security and you
The Lawbringer offered tips on a safe and secure account.