Posted: Dec 4th 2010 12:42PM Drunken Irish Sniper said

"'m of mixed thoughts on the whole idea of having certain roaming inhabitants who are curious about players."

How could you not like something like this?

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 2:12PM Eamil said

@Drunken Irish Sniper

That looks like one of the devs played Spore, put together the weirdest-looking thing he could, then made a high-res model for FF14 based on what he came up with. (O_o)

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 2:27PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Drunken Irish Sniper "Oh, hi, Mr. Coblyn. I'm fighting leve targets right now."

"HIIIIII"

"Okay, Mr. Coblyn, I need to use Circle Slash, I don't want to hurt you."

"HIIIIIII"

"Mr. Coblyn, please move, I'm going to die otherwise."

"HIIIIIIII"

AoEs aren't the solution to everything, but they're the solution to a lot more when you can use them without hangers-on.

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 3:38PM Syesta said

@Eliot Lefebvre You have to always have your wits about you.
Earlier today i was completing the Kobold factionleve outside of Bloodshore and got a little too comfortable.
Used a Circle Slash and had 2 Aldgoats join the foray and make sweet unwanted love to me.

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 3:42PM Tizmah said

I always thought the animals following you was a bug, and I still think it is. Why would animals follow you that are constantly being killed by you, being mimicked at Imps, etc?

People say, "It's nice to see an MMO with animals that interact with players!" Are you kidding me? I've played plenty of MMOs where the animals interact, by running away from the players because we are their predators!

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 5:02PM JanChel said

@Tizmah

I'll have to concur. The reason I think is that these mobs that "follow" you around used to be aggressive at some point in development and when they got changed to passive this setting got left on by mistake.

So, the next time a billygoat is riding your ass, just be thankful he's also not gnawing on your head. At least, not yet anyway. -_-

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 6:14PM Irem said

@Tizmah
Actually it has precedent in FFXI. There are mobs that will "polite aggro" players and follow them around (such as massive alien goldfish or tiny plant people), and most of the time people loved the mechanic, so I think that's why they carried it over here.

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 7:51PM Tizmah said

@Irem

That may be so, but all the animals do is simply stare at the player. Theres nothing more they could of expound upon with this mechanic? When I first ran into this, as I'm sure many people, they didn't think it was some cute animal mechanic that interacted with you, until someone spoke that it was. The animal gives off no clue as to what it is doing. The player with a clear mind only sees it as a bugged mob following them not attacking. The animal doesn't attempt to nuzzle, show affection, or bring you a stick to play fetch with it.

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 8:11PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Tizmah They're curious.

No, really. The tagalongs are all previously domesticated animals (dodos and goats) or animals with a precedent for curiosity in real life (galagos... okay, monkeys in real life, let's split the difference). All of them are fascinated by people, and it adds a touch of verisimilitude to the world.

Of course, they will eat your face if you poke them by mistake, so do be mindful.

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 10:03PM Tizmah said

@Eliot Lefebvre

This "verisimilitude" also comes at the expense of annoying the player greatly when they have to do AoE moves. It'd be like trying to play chess, but you have bugs running across your board and because you don't want to get your board messy, you try to avoid them as you place your piece. Just to simply have a mob stare at you. You really want this annoyance just to have a mob coded to stare and follow you? Sorry, I just don't believe it's a good design or balance. Trust me, I like the idea, but just simply adding that little code for shits and giggles does not make it worth having to be annoyed by stupid animals following me. If they did something more worthwhile, sure. But what they have right now is just a flat out gimmick

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 6:14PM Nenene said

• Half a heart
Did they fix the horrible UI design yet?

Posted: Dec 4th 2010 11:12PM Zorak said

I remember when I first noticed one of those gologo's following me, thought it was pretty cool that the mobs noticed you and responded, helps the game feel more alive imo. But, especially now, that there are more mobs around it's just over done. A short run around bloodshore and you will have an entire herd of goats following you. I think they just need to adjust it so that they don't *always* follow you, like make it a 50/50 chance and it will be fine again.

Posted: Dec 6th 2010 10:15AM Orekri said

@Zorak

I couldn't agree more. I like that they follow me, but I don't like dodging them in the field because I know for sure they will follow me. 50/50 chance would probably alleviate some of that.