Posted: Dec 2nd 2010 9:23AM Arderath said

Actually, playing MMOs on Linux isn't that bad, using wine you can play EQ, EQ2, WoW, LOTRO, DDO, Guild Wars, Ultima Online, Anarchy Online and loads of others. Granted, there are very very very few native ones, so Ryzom is a welcome addition, and I'm certainly going to try it.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2010 12:17PM Xpander said

nice news..never tryed this game before.
i have ran WoW , WAR and Lotro through wine on linux and played a little Regnum Online as native client..

I will try this out as soon as i get the chance :)

Posted: Dec 2nd 2010 12:50PM Dumac said

Yes you can run a bunch of stuff through Wine, but a couple of years ago i tried running WoW on Ubuntu and i could get it to work, just not as well as on Windows, i had to turn graphical settings down to keep the framerate at a comfortable level. A native application would probably not need this or need it to a lesser extent so thumbs up for this.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2010 1:13PM Jim Cricket said

@Dumac

You're problem is probably Ubuntu, and not Linux itself. People who use different distributions report they can get WoW running better than in Windows.

I play all the Perfect World International games (PW, JD, HoTK) in Wine on a Slackware installation. I also have a Windows partiation, and can say that these games play about 20% better on Linux. This is probably because I have my Linux system tuned up to run very smoothly (and on an older P4 machine).

I downloaded the Ryzom client last night, and played for a few hours. The devs did a great job, the client runs very smoothly and robustly.

Posted: Dec 10th 2010 9:25PM RichM198030 said

Heck yeah, this is awesome, the first somebody has ever ported a game over to Linux that's MMO, maybe now everybody will do it, right?? Yeah right, haha.. I play WoW, Guild Wars, and Runes of Magic on my Linux Box, on KDE, WoW and GW runs fine, RoM is very very laggy, and runs real slow. It's just as bad on Windows even.