Posted: Nov 30th 2010 6:28PM Haleth said

Runescape was my first mmo. Recently I played as a member for 3 months and I was drawn in! The quests are so much fun as a member, along with Castle Wars. Castle Wars cannot be replicated by any other game so far. It is unique!

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 7:47PM Holgranth said

Runescape classic got me started on the MMO Genre way back in 01' or 02.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 8:20PM Sorithal said

First MMO I played way back in... 2002 I think it was. Got hooked thanks to a friend, and it spread to a few other classmates of mine (they all out-leveled me T_T)... >_> I was a total noob and, honestly, the grind bored me out after awhile. So I quit it like a year or two after "Runescape 2" went live.

If I'm really bored I'll check up on it, but won't really stick with it for too long. It's more one of those games now for me where I just look back and nostalgia about stuff while realizing I was a total noobish teenager (played the game when I was like... 12-15 or so) at the same time xD

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 8:41PM Doba said

@(Unverified) ah really so was not that long ago was it?

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 9:23PM Sorithal said

@(Unverified)

Since that was 5-8 years ago, that is fairly long.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 9:23PM Sorithal said

@(Unverified)
...-.- why is my name (Unverified) when it had normally appeared as usual before.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 9:04PM Efithor said

Interestingly enough, I frequently see homeless people play Runescape on the local library computers. It would seem word of mouth spreads far indeed.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 10:39PM Birk said

@Efithor

That's amazing. If you have homeless people playing your game...well, congrats.

-Birk

(homeless and level 49)

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 6:41AM Valdamar said

I played Runescape briefly (not seriously :p ) in 2002 when I was looking for my next fix after 3 years in EverQuest - it didn't hold my attention for more than a month or so (Dark Age of Camelot was the next MMO that would) as it seemed a little simplistic, but it certainly had charm and reminded me of some of the old action-JRPGs I had played on my Dreamcast/Megadrive/SNES. Back then it seemed like it would have been a good introductory experience to MMOs.

I'm sure it has been improved a lot over the last decade and it's always good to see old MMOs that are still thriving, even though I have no interest in checking it out again.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 7:01AM kasapina said

Runescape was my first MMO, I started it an year before I'd even heard about WoW. I still can not understand why game journalists neglect the game, despite it being ridiculously bigger than all other MMOs (even if you neglect the free players and only look at the paying customers, it's a bigger success than most p2p games). It has an unique leveling system that is very rarely seen in other MMOs, it doesn't have even one "Kill ten rats" quest, and it runs in a browser despite being an AAA title (yes, if a game has so many paying players, it is an AAA title despite what some may say, doubly so if it has achieved that status with lousy graphics). While I rarely play it these days and I usually only login for the holiday events, it will always hold a place in my heart and I will always squick when a journalist addresses the second biggest MMO behemoth as if it's the black sheep of the MMO gaming world.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 10:42AM Bottleskup said

Aaaah RuneScape, like many others here, this was also my first foraging into the world of MMOs, back in er...2004 i think, wow. Although I was 13 at the time and only played very casually with my older brother, I didnt really realise what was going on, it was very fun. I then moved on to bigger and better things (EQ2) until last year when I came back to Run and Escape [sic] because several of my freinds were rocking about in the cmb136+ lifestyle and i wanted a slice. It was awesome, i really love the changes since i had last played, better graphics and shaders, the GrandExchange and the fun of merching, the GWD etc. I really think they did very well with development of the game, and the members worlds tend to be a safe haven from the beggars or childish antics of the F2P servers, which i was very glad of.

What I will say though, is that unless you have a good community of players you talk to and do things with, it is probably kinda boring, I was lucky on my return to have a great high level clan ran by my irl friends, with an IRC channel and all the rest of it, if it wasnt for that I would have got bored very very fast. I don't play anymore though, it only really lasted 9 months or so, but i was literally playing for 10+ hours a day for those 9months and loved almost every minute of it. Apart from crappy hilt droprates -.-

Posted: Dec 2nd 2010 10:13AM Elio said

Good read. I am excited to see your thoughts on Runescape over this month. Runescape was my first MMO and is still my main MMO. Although it may not have the best graphics and many cringe at the sound of its name it is a good game. It has definitely been under appreciated and underrated.