Posted: Nov 30th 2010 4:11PM Space Cobra said

With smugglers doing "crate-combat" (using cover), I can see some Portal crates lying around space ports and other areas.

I actually don't mind the Fedora, it's kinda hard to recognize it, IMO, unless you are wearing a leather jacket AND carrying the whip. Alone, it is fine.

IMO, SWG jumped canon long ago, although I agreed to some of it. I mean, really, zombies? :P (Or was that an April Fool's joke?)

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 4:55PM claytondora said

Meh, homages are fine by me so long as they don't break one's immersion in the game world. I'm fine with homages to any sort of literature, movie, or video game, regardless of how old, so long as they are subtle and somewhat removed from the casual glance.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 7:21AM Valdamar said

@claytondora
They always do though.

Developers these days tend to overuse them, if they start using them at all - popular culture references have gone from being occasional Easter Eggs hidden in niches and corners of zones, to being shoved in our face in main story quests that nobody can miss, in the most unsubtle ways possible. It's like Devs have no restraint nowadays and can't help making their game shout out "look, we like the same cultural references and hobbies that you do - isn't it COOOL!!!!"

I felt it got a bit silly in WoW when every other quest you did had a popular culture reference in it - it was amusing at first, but then it becomes commonplace and kitsch - it just drags you out of that world unnecessarily and acts as a barrier to you appreciating any original and believable elements of the IP itself.

I stopped thinking of WoW as an RPG at that point and just mentally slotted it into the same category where I'd put Serious Sam, Duke Nukem, etc. - an entertaining and silly amusement ride, sure, but no longer an immersive RPG set in an original virtual world that could deliver up believable drama/pathos and memorable adventuring in the same way as, say, both EverQuests or Guild Wars, or even CoH in all its campy superhero-flavoured glory - in fact when a fantasy MMO becomes more campy and silly than a superhero MMO you just know they've gone too far.

And thereafter when WoW tried to deliver dramatic moments it would just seem comical to me by comparison. The pop-cult references just drowned out any IP originality that WoW had (not much admittedly, though I guess at least they used to steal from the best).

Honestly when Developers make an MMORPG I wish they would look at the story and dialogue references of each quest and just ask themselves one question: "would we put this into the text of a commercial novel written about this IP?" If the answer is "certainly not, that would be silly" then they need to use some restraint in the MMO too.

The playerbase of most MMOs is more than capable of wrecking immersion for ourselves and ladling on pop-cult references - I just don't see why we need the Developers doing it as well - shouldn't they be held to higher standards when acting as caretakers of their own IP (or somebody elses)?

Sure, homages are ok, but when your entire MMO basically turns into an endless homage to the last 50 years of geek culture then you know you've gone too far. WoW is now more a camp comedy MMO than a fantasy RPG - it has jumped the shark (and I bet it has a reference to that somewhere too).

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 5:25PM tythimo said

I wouldn't mind seeing Portal companion crates. Just don't make it a central theme which I doubt they would do anyway.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 9:31PM AnotherPint said

I agree with Clay as long as it does not break one's immersion it's fine.

I just don't want to see any likens lightsabers.

oh and nice homeage to hardware wars larry! : )

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 1:16AM Kunari said

If Howard the Duck shows up in TOR I'll quit!

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 2:05AM Fakeassname said

@Kunari

Howard the duck being in TOR is about the only way I WOULD play it.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 4:15AM pcgneurotic said

@Fakeassname

Heh, I can go with that. :D Let's not forget what a total babe-magnet that duck is. :D

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 5:22AM Stellar25 said

I do not want any pop culture references in SWTOR.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 5:31AM madjack said

Is that image from SW fan film? If it is which one is that

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 1:25PM wondersmith said

@madjack

"Hardware Wars" from 1978.

It's on YouTube in 2 parts:

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 1:57PM Larry Everett said

@wondersmith

What he said.

The Stream Team: Vanguard's final week

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 11:00AM

WRUP: This is why we can't have nice things

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 10:00AM