Posted: Nov 29th 2010 10:20AM Arkanaloth said

I tend to play a little of everything to find what I enjoy the most, once I figure that out I tend to play it more than other classes but I keep my alts for when I need a "main break"

For example, in GuildWars I have one of every class plus a few storage alts. My main however is my mesmer and I play that one to death, sometimes I break out my Ritualist for a different flavor. Recently I have really been diving into my Dervish (and coming up with some pretty sick builds) but if I'm title grinding or doing something serious (Underworld, Fow, etc.. ) I pull out the "Big gun"

When I played WoW however my alt-ism was different. Not enjoying raids or PVP, once I hit the level cap with a class it got really boring really fast, I mean you could only do sons of hodir so many times a week before you want to throw the entire zone into a blender. Sooo I would make an alt, eventually that got old too which is why I speak of WoW in the past tense.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 12:16PM kgptzac said

one of the reason I quit aion is the necessity of making alts to enjoy the game. I especially dislike about the lv 30 armors which requires meta gaming (making alts) for one set of armor. Both lineage 2 and guild wars have subclasses... don't know why aion doesn't.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 2:09PM nitallica said

By creating alts, I have discovered other classes that have proved more enjoyable to play than my first character created back when the game was released. Not only have I found other classes that I've enjoyed, having alts gives me the necessary "break" that I need when I'm frustrated with my main.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 3:38PM Solp said

@nitallica Sol says hey!

Alts are my way of exploring what else the game has to offer, both mechanics wise, and parts of the world I missed the first time around.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 4:23PM nitallica said

@Solp Hey Sol! ^_^

I agree. I was in such a hurry with previous characters that I sometimes did not read quest texts or didn't have the extra quests that are now available that give more lore content, so I have definitely enjoyed taking my time and reading anything and everything available to my new toon! :D

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 2:27PM Syesta said

I started making alts in Aion when i was actively playing because the grind from 21ish-25 was such a chore I had to break it up into chunks. Now, I typically don't play caster type classes, but alting helped me discover my passion for Chanter. I think right now I have both an Assassin and a Chanter in the 40s that I still pick up every now and then to put some xp on. Maybe one day i will be 50+...

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 6:50PM Marklar19 said

I don't like to play alts at all because of my playstyle...which is the "completionist"

I've found it's pretty much impossible to actually complete any MMO, which is to say every quest/deed/title/achievement/etc...but it's still something I like to endeavor to try and do...so I sink all my time into the one character to get as far as possible towards being "done" everything

I generally ignore any achievements that require more than one toon, such as the Daeva armor in Aion