Posted: Nov 29th 2010 11:54AM Space Cobra said

"One former Star Wars Galaxies player even made an in-game career out it. Starsider veterans in the audience may remember one Ichben Einberliner, a strange chap who loved to strip his Fat Bastard avatar down to a pair of speedos and do a seductive pole dance for the unfortunate patrons at the Coronet spaceport. Rumor has it that Berliner was even awarded a character badge by SOE GMs (ostensibly for his unique personality) after regaling space travelers with his diaper-clad cabaret act for months on end."

See, that makes me LOL something fierce! :D I like to hear stories like that, but I must admit, if I were to see this guy in a game, I'd probably head out the door, unless he made some effort to RP with me.

Personally, I also tend to fall in-line and make generally attractive or cool characters, but I like to have the options to make weird or even ugly characters, too. While some do abuse it, others don't. (And heck, they abuse the name of their characters anyway!).

There is a two things to consider, IMO:

1) This perpetuates the "beauty" mode. Some like to "escape" to an MMO, and I understand that, but being "Multi-Player" a game like this can make one have a thick-skin in real life. What if you came across a burn victim in real life? Can you look beyond the outer appearance? Sadly, not many can. Granted, people making ugly characters don't have a "point", but your example is humorous and, even if I may not appreciate that, we need more of that in our lives, which leads me to..

2) "Y'all are too serious." Again, people have a notion of what a particular IP, fantasy or science, is in their heads. I can and have grooved on that, but as you get older, hopefully, you let those restrictions drop. For example, even in comic books, you might start reading all those crazy Golden Aged stuff that was purely FUN and not be so seriously considering who would win a fight between Mighty Mouse and Superman when you were younger. Sometimes, such characters can open the eyes of new possibilities and sometimes these folks don't mean no harm (but, admittedly not all, but I could counter argue beautiful avatars can troll, too!).

Yes, it can be immersion breaking, but I've also been let into some wonderful scenes, if it is done correctly. Even if it's double-edged, I prefer a wide variety of body/face choices compared to a strict "beautiful world" choice some MMOs make you go down.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 9:59PM Jef Reahard said

@Space Cobra

I felt the same way. When I was playing and ran across this guy (on multiple occasions) in Coronet, frankly it irritated me, lol.

Now that I've moved on from the game, it's funny and obviously memorable since it happened over six years ago. Either that or it was such a horrendous image that it's permanently burned into my subconscious, which is probably exactly what he intended.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 12:32PM dronf said

Reminds me of my favorite SWG character. There was a point early in the game where you could stack all the defensive skills from certain classes, mainly pistoleer/fencer, and be REALLY hard to kill.

I had a mon calamari def stacker, max fatness, minimum height, that i would dress only in a speedo. With all the defense bonuses, I didn't even need armor, and had a hell of a time PVPing, killing armored imperials while carrying only a gaffi stick and a speedo.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 2:30PM Doba said

Yes and no, My guild was trying to get attention and recruiting in WoW and we all made the ugliest person and about 30 of us did that and stood in Orgrimmar and recruited, You can say we got a lot of comments and new people. :)

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 4:30PM Brianna Royce said

I don't really go for ugly characters, but I have several older ones -- always found it easier to roleplay older characters who could actually justify all the things they knew and skills they had. I usually find some physical flaw for every character, though, even if it's not "ugly in every way." I have a plump magician, a stick-thin smuggler, a pitiful half-elf, and so on. That doesn't count all my Ithorians, who are so not-cute they're cute!

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 2:06AM Haldurson said

I don't usually make ugly characters, but I have in both CoX and Fallen Earth, simply because they fit my character concept. In fact, I've done several ugly characters in CoX -- gave blindingly bright and clashing clothing colors, zombie-like appearances, etc. I think of it as a challenge -- and if it works, there can be a kind of beauty to that ugliness.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 8:53AM Purkit said

Mmm, well I suppose I don't go out of my way to create 'ugly' characters. I'll normally play with the character generation until I get an idea for a character look and go from there. If that character feels like they should be a little odd looking then so be it. I've certainly made and played characters that other people have thought were unattractive. Ugly, as much as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 2:22PM niakori said

Few MMOs even allow you to create ugly characters :/ But I got a kick out making an army of putrid color combination heroes in COH. And then the monstrous addons came and.. well I had a field day.
The weird thing is, in SWG I couldn't bring myself to play the more alien looking... aliens. Bothans disturbed me, Ithorians have no lips and ugh, don't get me started on the Rodians.

I failed myself.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 2:23PM Valdamar said

I like to make savage monstrous characters (e.g. ogres, trolls, orcs, etc.) and also tend to make scarred and rugged human-like characters (e.g. barbarians, dwarves, etc. as well as humans occasionally) who look strong but also grim/stoic, as befitting someone who lives a life of almost-constant combat (because they do!) - i.e. more like Sean Bean and Russell Crowe than the "pretty boy" looks of say Orlando Bloom or Leonardo DiCaprio.

I only make androgynous "pretty boy" male characters if I'm playing an elf, or if the game's aesthetic standards are so twisted by anime-worship (like most Eastern MMOs) that they allow nothing else - but it galls me to see 99% of a game's population made up of those kinds of characters (e.g. lots of Sephiroth clones running around like emo ladyboys), played by people who think they look "cool". Though props to Blizzard's Night Elves, not just for having an elven race that look rugged and savage enough to believably live outdoors, but also because their male elves actually look masculine.

I just don't want to play (or live) in a world where most people have similar looks, similar tastes, and where there's only one standard for beauty (admittedly I don't find the plastic faces and impossibly white/even canine-less grins of certain Hollywood stars that attractive either - they just look fake and freakish to me). You need contrast and variety or there is no relative "beauty" and it's harder for each individual to find the look they personally find beautiful.

So I wouldn't make ugly characters for the sake of making ugly characters unless the character concept called for it, but I do like playing monstrous races that the majority would probably call ugly.