Posted: Nov 29th 2010 8:36PM smg77 said

I wonder if they regret the whole "No crying in the red circle" nonsense that went on when the game launched. Apparently catering to the griefers wasn't a sound business plan.

Neither was using SOE as a publisher.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 3:39AM pcgneurotic said

• 1 heart
@smg77 You forgot the 'badum-tish' sound effect after your hilarious, perfectly-timed punchline.

Don't give up the day job.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 12:34AM Space Cobra said

I liked the game, but yeah, it was a bit heavy on the hard-core side; almost Eve Online-like. Sure, a bite "lite" in comparison, but I just didn't have the time or desire to find a powerful guild and build my own shipping empire while fending off players and take overs.

Not saying it wasn't fun, but I realize these games require a strong commitment and I just "wanted to play a sea-battle sim". :)

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 8:27AM Purkit said

I've always had a soft spot for PotBS. I like the setting and sailing around in your ship is really fun. I like the trading and the trade skills. However I'm not someone that likes PvP and its probably the reason I'll never really play this game seriously.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 9:55AM Damn Dirty Ape said

@Purkit

My thoughts exactly. PotBS is a really nice game that has a lot going for it, but I just didn't have it in my to be 'hardcore' enough to PvP in the game.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 11:15AM Danieros said

@Purkit

Maybe it's just me being close-minded, but I never would expect a MMO based on a pirate world in which there is no PvP or only PvP with consent of both parties.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 11:45AM Luk said

PotBS is much better game than many WoW clones out there, but it is a niche game that requires almost "hard-core" commitment that and timing that I found really hard to accommodate.

For example, port battles schedules were so not in sync with the West Coast time zone that I had to give up to ever be able to participate and that just was not fun at all. Things like that and below average PvE avcom missions probably turned many players away and that is sad, because the game has the best ship vs ship combat engine you can find.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 4:03AM Katt said

Downloading now... time to resurrect my level 40ish Pirate. Never thought the game was worth Sony's outrageous single game monthly fee (never got a station pass, just not enough games worth playing) however F2P, you'd be mad not to try POTBS, it's a lot of fun. Not for everyone, but definately worth a go.

I'm assumin avatar combat is still rubbish, but the ship based combat is spot on.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014